Author Topic: Humphreys  (Read 3368 times)

Offline uksunrise

• RootsChat Extra
  • You can always find what you are looking for.
    • View Profile
Humphreys
« on: Tuesday 19 May 09 18:28 BST (UK) »
 :) I am having trouble finding Louis Jacob Humphreys born c1870 (Jewish) who is supposed to have been born in Ireland. I know there were Jewish communities in Cork and Dublin....... but thats the height of my knowledge.  I have found a Lewis Jacob Humphreys married in Jul-Sep 1898 Dublin South.. but i can't access his spouse. He had one brother that i know of .. a Henry Joseph Humphreys apparently born in 1853c in Glasgow, i am confused at this.. did Henry tell a fib on the census's? Henry married a Sarah Levenston in Dublin 14 JUN 1876. Can anyone show me the way to finding out the parents/siblings or these two gentlemen please?
Heming/Hemming/Hemmings/Gough/Marshall/Jolliffe/Featherstone/Rathbone/Duggins

Offline deccam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Humphreys
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 19:41 BST (UK) »
It might be worth popping an e-mail to the Jewish Museum in Dublin,if they attended the synagogue they might be on record.Here is a link,you might be lucky:    http://www.jewishireland.org/genealogy.html

Offline uksunrise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 20:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks deccam .. have emailed them. fingers crossed.!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 20:48 BST (UK) »
...  I have found a Lewis Jacob Humphreys married in Jul-Sep 1898 Dublin South.. but i can't access his spouse....

to find the spouse you have to order the cert from the GRO - quoting the name (i.e. Lewis), year & quarter, registration district, volume & page

the website is www.groireland.ie

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline uksunrise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 June 09 22:10 BST (UK) »
Just to let you know deccam that the Jewish Museum came up trumps and more!!! Thanks for the advice. I have now found over 500 relations on the Jewish side of the tree!!!... it will take me ages and ages to input them, but what a result!!!
Hugz

Offline deccam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 17:48 BST (UK) »
That's brilliant,only to glad to help.

Offline RichardWalshe

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 July 19 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Sunrise,

While researching my family burials I found an entry in the family plot for a Bridget Humphreys and began to investigate. It turns out she was my second great Aunt Bridget Mary Walshe but the name I didn't recognise "Humphreys" came from her husband Lewis Jacob Humphreys. I did a search for him and found your post.

Anyway, she is buried in her Family plot in Golden Bridge cemetery in Dublin. So far I have found no record of his burial.

I have attached a screen grab of the entry showing this burial (the other name in this entry is Thomas Valentine Walsh(e), her father) as well as a scan of her burial order.

I have also included the census link from 1911 below. From this you can see they were married in around 1899 and had 4 children only 2 of whom were still alive by 1911. I cannot find any entry for them at the 1901 census so perhaps they were not in Ireland.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000135099/

I would love to hear more about him if you have found anything else interesting.

Rgds from Dublin,
Richard Walshe

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.