Author Topic: Bradmore wolverhampton, Gunmakers and Church Road  (Read 96056 times)

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Bradmore wolverhampton, Gunmakers and Church Road
« Reply #144 on: Monday 03 March 14 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
I can understand the confusion about the missing houses and the lack of logic behind the numbering.  I used to deliver papers for Tug Wilson of Church Rd and as a lad of 12 learning a paper round it was an eye opener.
Also, I lived at the Star stores Off-licence from 1962 until 1972 when the demolition forced us to fresh fields in herefordshire

Im too young.. i imagine. too remember Tug.. wilson, but, to this day My family syill often refer to that lil papershop as "Wilson's" I knew it as being owned, or ran.. by Sylvia.. not sure if she was actually a Wilson herself, but she still lives further in church road...  I was in that shop daily.. I think it closed down when I was around.. 20.. mighta been earlier not sure lol
Smith, Tolley, Griffiths,
Monaghan, Richards, Clark, Clarke,
Brazier, Filben, Fibben,Filbin
Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon
Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, Bilston, Kent, London, Middlesex

Offline Kizzy cat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Monday 03 March 14 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello Arasus,

Many thanks for your message, if and when you find photo's of Rogers's shop and cottages, or any other parts of Finchfield i would love to see copies.

Regards

Kizzy :)
Cartwright - Dudley
Funnell - Cheshire/Lancashire
Faulkner - Lancashire

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: Tuesday 11 March 14 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat

When new members have made more than two posts you will be able to exchange private messages with one another to exchange sensitive information.

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Uplands

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 17:58 BST (UK) »
For those Wulfrunians who live or lived on the Penn side of Wolverhampton'

Bob.

Located on a 1930’s housing estate in the Penn suburb, southwest of Wolverhampton. The Penn Cinema was opened on 27th December 1937 with The Marx Brothers in “A Day At The Races”. The Penn Cinema was a project of the Penn Cinema Company, formed by Birmingham based accountant and cinema owner B.T. Davis, together with architect Roland Satchwell who designed the building, and other local businessmen.
The facade of the cinema was in brick with a central section over the entrance in white stone, which had five vertical windows, allowing light into the circle foyer. Inside the auditorium, seating was provided in stalls and circle levels.
The Penn Cinema was always operated by the independent Penn Cinema Company who kept it well maintained, even to the end when it was closed on 24th March 1973 with the British comedy film “Ooh…You Are Awful” starring Dick Emery. The owners had been made an ‘offer they couldn’t refuse’ for the site, and it was demolished for a supermarket to be built. Initially a MacMarket, then International Stores, in 2011, it is a Somerfield supermarket.

.Contributed by Ken Rose

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 18:10 BST (UK) »
I remember going there to see "South Pacific". I'm sure that I saw lots of other films there too but that one stood out as it was a friend's birthday treat.   :)
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 11:08 BST (UK) »
Went there lots of times as we only lived down the road but mainly remember seeing Herbie when I was about 8 which gave me a life long addiction for VW Beetles  ;D

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 13:42 BST (UK) »
Don't remember it personally, but moms often telling me of her dad taking her there on weekends, and of going there w my dad.... Me? I remember it as Mac market lolol
Smith, Tolley, Griffiths,
Monaghan, Richards, Clark, Clarke,
Brazier, Filben, Fibben,Filbin
Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon
Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, Bilston, Kent, London, Middlesex

Offline springerbob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: Sunday 19 April 15 17:50 BST (UK) »
Saturday cinema club in the 60's  and knew Steven Worral who's Dad ran the chip shop a couple of doors away...Freds Plaice

Offline judijee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: Friday 02 December 22 16:25 GMT (UK) »
I remember the Penn Cinema from the late 1940s/early 50s when I used to go every week to the Saturday matinees.  Now I can only remember Roy Rogers and Hopalong Cassidy, and some bloke who shouted "Shazam".  And one highlight of my very young years - my parents taking me to my first grown-up film, "Forever Amber", which sparked a life-long love of all things historical.
ANDERTON - Solihull; BAINES - Montgomeryshire; BEASTALL - Lincolnshire; BEMBRIDGE - Nottingham; BRADLEY - Dudley; BRATT - Bilston; DABBS - Wellington, Shropshire; EYRE - Nottingham and Birmingham; FENN - Bilston; FENNYHOUSE - Staffordshire; FERRINGTON - Bilston; FITCH - Norwich; FOWLER - Bilston; GLOVER - Walsall and Birmingham; JOHNSON - Cheshire, Stoke-on-Trent, Wolverhampton, Wombourne; SHALE - Bilston; SHELTON - Wheaton Aston, Wolverhampton; TUFFT - Wolverhampton; WARD - Dudley