Author Topic: Metropolitan Police Records Online  (Read 110596 times)

Offline GuybrushThreepwood

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Metropolitan Police Records Online
« Reply #189 on: Friday 21 October 11 23:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,
These photographs are awesome! I was looking to find a Benjamin Farmer who was a Saddler in Brecon until 1868ish and who suddenly turns up on the 1871 Census in Hackney as a Police Man, and his sons Birth Certificate the same year as a Police Constable. I believe i have found him in your photos Attesting on the 13th Dec 1869 with the Warrant Number of 52272 assigned to Division N.
Sadly his wife died not long after their son was born, and by 1873 Benjamin was back in Wales as a saddler, only to die in 1879 of Bronchitis.
So a couple of questions - What is Division N? How can i find out more about Benjamin's time at the Met, and when he left?
Benjamin's older brother Thomas was also a Police Constable in the 1861 census for Crickhowell in Brecon, despite his trade also being that of a Saddler - would he have started at the Met? Is there a Thomas Farmer in the records?
I also have to ask if you happen to know of a John Farmer in the records round about the time of Benjamin's death in 1879 - i have no proof that John was in the Police (again he was a saddler by trade) but it seems that he followed his brother Benjamin to London at some point to live on Temple Street, though the information given by John on Benjamin's death certificate doesn't give his occupation at the time.

Offline Paul Caswell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me in my natural state
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: Saturday 22 October 11 00:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Flybrunch :D,

N division was Islington.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hitch/gendocs/police.html

Paul

Sorry - I had to find an excuse to post. What a wonderful user name. :D
Caswell - Durham(Jarrow), Northumberland(Berwick), Dorset(Netherbury)
Drury - Middlesex(Kensington), Shropshire(Oswestry/Selattyn)
Turner - Dorset(Parkstone)
Speight - Essex(Braintree), Kent(Gravesend), Westmorland(Kendal)
Stockley - Dorset(Corfe Castle)
Amey - Suffolk(Haverhill)
Cousins - Norfolk(Ketteringham)
Sears - Bedfordshire(Potton), Cambridgeshire(Gamlingay)
Census information is Crown Copyright

Offline DozyDora

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: Saturday 22 October 11 13:07 BST (UK) »
I'd like to look for gt grandad Charles Colgan warrant 58785 but I can't seem to get to the links. What am I doing wrong ?  >:(

Hi,  I am searching the Metropolitan Police records at the moment, so I can tell you what to do.

1. After you have signed into TNA, click on "Records" 3rd from the left at the top of the page
2. Click on "Documents online" on the right-hand side of the page - 3rd option under Quick Links.
3. On the left-hand side where it says "Quick Search", type in the reference you want (e.g. MEPO 4/352) and press Go.
4. You'll get a clock loading and then a tabulation with details of what you want to download.  At the bottom of this on the right-hand side is a button "Add to Shopping".  Click on this and then the "Checkout" button on the next page.
5. You then have to enter your email address twice in the spaces provided.  Do this and click on "Proceed with your Download".
6. On the next page click on "Download my documents now" and then the "Download" button on the right-hand side.  It takes quite a while to download as most of them are several pages.  You will also get an email with a link to download.

Offline Jane Medcalf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barnaby,

My grandfather was in Hertfordshire Constabulary before and after WW1. How would I go about finding out his service records?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Jane Medcalf

Offline DozyDora

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Barnaby,

What a fantastic job you've done in conjunction with TNA.  I was labouriously downloading page by page from TNA, not realising that you'd done it all for us.  Thank you very much.

I have not found our James Edward Morgan, though I only searched for him beginning of 1919 and the whole of 1918.  He started working for the Shanghai Municipal Council ("SMC") on 1st July 1919 but my partner's Dad said he was either in the Police or Foreign Office before that date.  Having searched the Police archives and ruled that source out, I don't know where to go next.

Any suggestions would be greatly appeciated.  For instance, can you access Foreign Office staff records online or view them at TNA?

Of course he could have already been in China before starting work for the SMC.

Dora

Offline howe02

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Looking for policeman - James Elliott
« Reply #194 on: Sunday 06 November 11 05:12 GMT (UK) »
Are you able to point me in the direction of records to search - James Elliott born about 1835 where ???  Policeman - constable

Info I have - he married Emily Fleeson in 1861 KIllucan, Ireland
They went to London (Edmonton - Middlesex) sometime between 1861-1863
Then went to Australia sometime between 1865-1868

Any help would be appreciated

Offline jennyhawk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Need help with finding john Robert marchant on the 1881 census he is living at 42 chapelfield Lancashire saids he is a policeman he was born in 1856 in surrey.
His daughter Ellen kezia marchant married Charles adamthwaite 14 sep 1918 on the marriage certificate saids john was a constable but was deceased by then

Don't know where to look find out more info on john how long he was policeman or a constable any help be great

Thank you

Jenny

Wright essex
Lott essex

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 23:19 GMT (UK) »
John Robert Marchant wouldn't show up on the Met police records.

What town was he in in 1881?
What other census(es) does he appear on?
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline jennyhawk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 23:24 GMT (UK) »
In 1901 census he is ex police constable living in mile end old town stepney.

In the 1881 saids Lancashire

Jen
Wright essex
Lott essex