Author Topic: Can anyone identify Regiment/Date ??  (Read 2168 times)

Offline Gaille

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Can anyone identify Regiment/Date ??
« on: Friday 12 June 09 21:33 BST (UK) »
I found this in a box of family photos

Can anyone identify the regiment & possible date please?

The family were from the Northwest area, Manchester, Warrington & Cheshire if that helps.

Any ideas?

Gaille
Manchester – Bate(s) / Bebbington / Coppock or Coppart / Evans / Mitchell / Prince / Smith

Cheshire Latchford – Bibby / Savage / Smith.
Cheshire Macclesfield,  Bollington & Rainow – Childs / Flint / Mc'rea
Cheshire Crewe – Bate(s) / Bebbington
Shropshire Wellington, Wobwell – Smith
Walsall Midds – Smith
Norfolk - Childs / Hanwell / Smith

Also looking for:
Mc'Rea/McCrea – Ireland to Cheshire

And
any relatives of Margaret Bibby married to Thomas Smith all over country

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone identify Regiment/Date ??
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 June 09 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Gaille

There are no regimental badges that I can see. He is obviously going abroad. Possibly to South Africa for the Boer War? The 2nd Battalion of the Liverpool Regiment were in the Curragh about this time - my GF was transferred to them in 1900 after being besieged with the 1st Bn in Ladysmith. But there would have been other regiments as it was a big camp. Their HQ was in Warrington. Lots of men were transferred to the 1st Bn in SA to make up losses.

Then again it could be ten years earlier and he has just received his tropical kit.  If you post it on the Restoration Board, someone may be able to tell you when the photographer was active. If you have the original tell them the size may help.

Any names?

Ken

Offline DavidGreenall110

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 June 09 15:12 BST (UK) »
An interesting one to identify.

Most probably an Infantry unit as his putees are wound the wrong way for a mounted unit.

Looking at the tunic and the pockets it would appear to date from the late 1880's to around 1910ish, most probably Kahki in colour. It's a shame we can't see the shoulder titles.

The lanyard would either suggest somebody in the Royal Engineers, the Artillery, an Officer or somebody who wore a webley pistol as a sidearm.

There was a J. F. Church - Photographer working near the Curragh Camp, Kildare, in around 1868 although this appears to be a H. Church probably his son?

Have you tried looking on the cenesu returns for 1881 and 1891 to see if any of the family were missing at that time?

David
Death, Sambles, Searle, Loates, Beamish, Brooks, Bates, Coates, Hughes, Lythgoe, Johnson, Rodgers, Hawthorne, Rhodes, Lister, Sneyd

Offline Gaille

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 June 09 15:25 BST (UK) »
An interesting one to identify.

Most probably an Infantry unit as his putees are wound the wrong way for a mounted unit.

Looking at the tunic and the pockets it would appear to date from the late 1880's to around 1910ish, most probably Kahki in colour. It's a shame we can't see the shoulder titles.

The lanyard would either suggest somebody in the Royal Engineers, the Artillery, an Officer or somebody who wore a webley pistol as a sidearm.

There was a J. F. Church - Photographer working near the Curragh Camp, Kildare, in around 1868 although this appears to be a H. Church probably his son?

Have you tried looking on the cenesu returns for 1881 and 1891 to see if any of the family were missing at that time?

David

Hi

The problem I have with seeing who is missing is that it could be any one 4 families, and they all had at least 4 children, one had 15!
It was in a box of photos I inherited from my grandad, but it is a mix of his family, Evans & Mitchell - and my Nanas which were Smith & Bibby - lol and Evans & Smith are not the easiest to search for!

Now I have a possible date tho I may be able to narrow it down - would the army etc list man even if they were abroad serving their country do u know?

The Liverpool reg would tie in as the family lived literaly within walking distance of the camp at Warrington, have to hit their database & see if I find any familiar names!

I'll let you know if I find anyone possible

Thank you

Gaille
Manchester – Bate(s) / Bebbington / Coppock or Coppart / Evans / Mitchell / Prince / Smith

Walsall Midds – Smith

Also looking for:

And

Offline DavidGreenall110

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 June 09 15:53 BST (UK) »
Tell me about it, I've got Hughes, Johnson and Smith in mine!!!!!!

If it were me, I'd start at the Regimental Museum, if you're lucky they'll hold some of the records just pray that his surname was Bibby!

I'm not sure whether the Census will list men overseas although, I suppose Ireland was part of the UK then and there might be some records.

I don't envy you on this one!

David
Death, Sambles, Searle, Loates, Beamish, Brooks, Bates, Coates, Hughes, Lythgoe, Johnson, Rodgers, Hawthorne, Rhodes, Lister, Sneyd

Offline Gaille

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 June 09 16:02 BST (UK) »
Tell me about it, I've got Hughes, Johnson and Smith in mine!!!!!!

If it were me, I'd start at the Regimental Museum, if you're lucky they'll hold some of the records just pray that his surname was Bibby!

I'm not sure whether the Census will list men overseas although, I suppose Ireland was part of the UK then and there might be some records.

I don't envy you on this one!

David

LOL David,

In the last few weeks I have....................

tracked down the past of a gt-grandad with no past (appeared fully grown in 1902) which has taken me 20 years on & off to find him, and then only with a lot of help from the Chatterbox regulars.

Managed to put my grandads name to a baby photo I knew had to be a close relative but didnt know exactly who until it was dated.

Found the family of my dads uncle (named Evans) who emigrated to australia & promptly vanished in the 1950s, and thanks to a fantastic amount of help I have contact with a LIVING relative who knew dads uncle.

Figured out what happened to one of my vanishing relatives (John Evans!) and where he went.

LOL I like a challenge!

Gaille

Walsall Midds – Smith

Also looking for:

And

Offline DavidGreenall110

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 June 09 16:12 BST (UK) »
You do like a challenge don't you! 20 years, that puts my 8 years to shame.

If you get bored you can have my tree to finish if you want!!!!! I'm rapidly losing interest and getting frustrated with parents, siblings and close relatives all having the same name and all livinig in the same damn village at the same time!

It can be frustating and addictive at the same time.

Enjoy  ;D

David

Offline Pete Keane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 June 09 20:51 BST (UK) »
Bibby - no Bedfordshire connection by any chance?

Pete.

Offline Gaille

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 June 09 00:33 BST (UK) »
Bibby - no Bedfordshire connection by any chance?

Pete.

Hi Pete,

Not so far, they seem to be pretty glued in Warrington for generations

Gaille

Walsall Midds – Smith

Also looking for:

And