Author Topic: Norah CAHILL look up please  (Read 3808 times)

Offline perilsofpauline1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Norah CAHILL look up please
« on: Tuesday 16 June 09 04:10 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I'm helping a friend look for her Norah CAHILL who was born in Tralee Co. Kerry, and married Thomas McCort (McCourt?) from C. Tyrone. The only information I have is that they had a daughter Mary Catherine McCort b. 11 Apr 1907 in Timaru New Zealand.
I really have tried to find her on a lot of the sites given by Rootschatters, but the only Cahill's in Kerry I found in the Griffiths Valuation which appears to be too early for Norah. (There was an Honoria)
Not a lot to go on I'm afraid, but hopefully you can come to the rescue! I'm not afraid to look through other web sites if you think any might be able to find her, so please dont think I want others to do all the hard work!!
Thankyou,
perilous
Calthorpe ,Colyer, Davy, , Grant, Guest, Hannington, Harding, Hartley, Hughes, Macro ,Marchant,  McKindoe , Moffet ,Morgans Musgrave, , Mort, Nicholson, Patterson, Porter,Smith, Roddis, Schofield, Scholefield, Smith.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Norah CAHILL look up please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 10:07 BST (UK) »
do you know an approx. birth date for Norah ?

If she was born during or after 1864 she should be included in the Civil Registers. You can search the index to this on a familysearch website : http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=2;t=searchable;c=1408347

Do you know Norah's fathers details from her marriage cert ?

If some of the Cahill family remained in Tralee you may find them on the 1911 Census which is available on the National Archives Website : http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/  1901 data is due later this year

unfortunately no parish register transcripts are available on the IFHF website for Co. Kerry at the moment, so the only way to progress may be viewing the parish records or microfilms.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline perilsofpauline1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 12:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane. I have just managed to find a death recorded for Norah in New Zealand - 1928 aged  60 years, so we know she must have been born around 1868. So I will go and check those registers you gave me the site for.
We cant find a marriage for Norah and Thomas, and dont even know if it was in Ireland or New Zealand. We were only even able to find out their names by the daughters birth certificate.
Not much to go on at all I'm afraid.
I found a birth and christening on the IGI for a Nora Cahill in 1868, at a place called Castleisland in Kerry, but the spelling on the death register was definately Norah.
Thanks again for your help Shane - guess I'll keep on looking!
Regards
Pauline
Calthorpe ,Colyer, Davy, , Grant, Guest, Hannington, Harding, Hartley, Hughes, Macro ,Marchant,  McKindoe , Moffet ,Morgans Musgrave, , Mort, Nicholson, Patterson, Porter,Smith, Roddis, Schofield, Scholefield, Smith.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 13:14 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't worry about the spelling difference - the family could have been illiterate or the name could be just filled in by the registrar the way he thought it was spelt without asking the family

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline perilsofpauline1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 13:19 BST (UK) »
It had crossed my mind so I went looking for Castleisland - it doesnt appear to be anywhere near Tralee so dont think think she's the right Norah. :-\
There was another Nora in 1868 but no place of birth. Darn, I hate this Irish Family history!!
By the way, I have a Hughes Family, originally from Dublin or Cork. Robert Hughes, married to a Margaret Feeney or Moran. Not any of yours by any chance?
Pauline

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 13:23 BST (UK) »
are you searching the Irish Civil Index (pilot website mentioned earlier) ?

that should list all civil records after 1864 - the place listed is just the registration district, not the actual address. To see the address, parent details etc a cert is required.

You can check which Town/Townlands are in the various district on the townland database at  - the http://www.thecore.com/seanruad Poor Law Union (PLU) is the same as the Registration District

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline perilsofpauline1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 13:26 BST (UK) »
Yep - thats the site I've been looking on. I'll go and look on the townland database you gave me now - thanks!!

Offline perilsofpauline1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 13:43 BST (UK) »
I darent get too excited, but Castleisland is in the PLU of Tralee, Barony Trughanacmy. I'm not familiar with either the terms or places but it is looking good !
They were fantastic sites Shane - thank you very much indeed.  :D

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 13:45 BST (UK) »
I was just going to say that .. Castleisland is not that far from Tralee,
maybe 18km. Probably the nearest big town.

Shane
My Surname Interests