Author Topic: Queensland Death after 1929  (Read 4347 times)

Offline sabrina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Queensland Death after 1929
« Reply #27 on: Monday 13 July 09 07:13 BST (UK) »
I noticed that you were talking about the Bush Children.  There was a Bush Children's home in Torquay in Hervey Bay about 3 1/2 hours drive from Brisbane.  There was also one In Yeppoon near Rockhampton.

The bush Children's Homes were for poorer children (black or white) who were taken to the home mainly near the beach for app. a week.  It gave them a chance to have a holiday and see the ocean, which most of them never saw or did.  They were all taken to the doctor and dentist for a check up.  Doctors were few and far between in the bush at that time.  I knew children who were taken down for a break - I made each of them a new dress for the occasion.

sabrina

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 13 July 09 07:53 BST (UK) »
Cando, if you know date of death and ideally place of death as well, especially if the person is likely to have left a will or intestacy, I'll be happy to check at the archives for a possible d/c included with the will.

There are cut-off dates for this. Earlier deaths often don't include a d/c but you can sometimes be lucky. I think there is further info somewhere on the Qld State Archives site.

That's an interesting insight sabrina ...  :). That sort of thing wouldn't happen today would it ... the kids must have had a ball.  :D

Offline bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 13 July 09 08:16 BST (UK) »
the kids must have had a ball.  :D

We did have a ball. It wasn't my 1st sight of the Ocean and beaches, It may have been for my 3 siblings that went the year after I did.

I would have been there at Torquay around 1967/1968, there was at least 4 of us from Dirranbandi and we were there over Christmas for a few weeks.

I remember well the arguement between the boys and girls over who finished eating their Pumpkin first.  Couldn't see Santa unless you ate all your vegies.

No doctor and dentist visited at Torquay as Dirranbandi then had it's own Hospital and Dentist.
Jeffs - Northamptonshire to Leicestershire to Queensland, Australia
Lewis - Wales to Gloucestershire to NSW & Queensland, Australia
Iddols & Baylis - Gloucestershire
Mary Jones, daughter of James Jones and Eliza - born abt 1864 Staffordshire, died 1948 Queensland, Australia
Dorans - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Ralph - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Jillett - Robert, Transported Convict from Surrey
Christison - Edinburgh,Scotland
Cameron - Edinburgh, Scotland

Offline PianoMan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 13 July 09 10:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ruskie,