Author Topic: Writing my History  (Read 4390 times)

Offline NadT

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Writing my History
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 July 09 18:58 BST (UK) »
I had the same dilemma, where to start and how to store it?.  I use an online company called www.yournutshell.com.
There's a section where you can record all your memories of childhood, relatives, accidents, illnesses etc.  and you can add as many extra chapters as you like.  I am only just getting to my teenage years because there are prompt questions to make you think, and then i go off at a tangent because one memory often triggers another.  Also, you won't lose it if your PC crashes because it's held remotely, and you can access it from wherever you can get on to a computer - handy when visiting my dad and he starts talking about his memories!
Durham/Newcastle: Richardson, Glendenning, Glendening, Glendinning, Postle, Carr, Tatters
Norfolk/Suffolk: Love, Sharman
Somerset/Glamorgan, Wales: Brooks, Elliott, Smith
Cumberland: Richardson, Gribbin, Butler, Tatters
Shropshire/Welshpool: Thomas, Bradshaw, Summers, Weatherby, Phillips
Scotland: Baxter, Service, McMaster

Offline Mimble

• RootsChat Senior
  • Annie Louisa Jones of Aldon, great grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 08 August 09 15:13 BST (UK) »
What I decided to do is to write up a 'Family History Story' of one of my branches, starting with a significant ancestor who emigrated to South Africa in 1820, giving a bit of his family's background, then taking it on to write up as much as possible about his descendents.

I have used my grandfather's writings as well as those of his brother and other people, to fill in details about these people, and added pictures. I have pointed out where family 'folklore' has been disproved, like the fact that ancestor Richard did not fight at the battle of Waterloo as he had claimed, which we now know from his army records. A few other 'discrepancies' have also come to light (it seems all to easy to 'reinvent' your background when you emigrate!).

I tried to include all the most fascinating facts about their lives (and they did have interesting lives, living through tumultouous times in South Africa's history).

I have written this up in a format that is easy for children to read so that it is available for them in the future. I had it bound at Staples and have sent copies to relatives for their children. I've really enjoyed doing this and now fell ready to attempt another one.

Mary
Morgan, Wilcox, Hulbert, Olive - Gloucestershire; Diggines, Gill, Rivers, Bull, Powell, Howell - Bristol; Hulley, Cawood - Yorkshire and South Africa; Stedman,  Hamar, Luther - Shropshire; Staddon, Rawle, Richards, Kemp -  West Somerset; Jones - Bettws, Montgomeryshire and Mainstone, Shropshire; Williams - Beguildy, Radnorshire; Coleman - Kent; Gradwell, Strickland - Lancashire;  Moodie -  Orkneys; Montgomery - Armagh, Down and Kildare; Parke - Kildare and Wicklow; Brangan - Bandon, Cork.

Offline lotteex

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 08 August 09 16:04 BST (UK) »
Mimble
I love the way you have recorded your family history, that's really neat. Like all of you, I have started writing mine, and decided to split it into 4 to start with and see where that leads me. I've started with Grandfather working backwards, though have included my parents.  I've tried to add a little hsitory around each period to put the "family" into context with the period they lived in including transport, cost of living etc.  When I come across a real find which perhaps confirms authenticity of information I include a starred bulletin about how I feel at that moment when things drop into place. One of my ancestors travelled to Nigeria on business and as well as including details of his inbound journey, also managed to find pictures of the boats he travelled on, with a booklet on passenger information that sort of thing, cost of fares. I also found pictures of one of the ships accommadation and 1st class lounge so I can now imagine him sitting in the lounge on his journey home. It is a huge task though trying to put everything into sequence.
Lottee
Mason - Yorkshire
Manger -Tynemouth/Hull
Turner - Cottingham
Franklin - Cottingham
Lawrence - London
Bailey - Northumberland
Butler - Hampshire/Channel Isles
Harms - Hampshire/London/India/Northumberland
Timson - Ware, Hertfordshire
Wild & Nield - Lancashire
Row(e) - Buckinghamshire
Manders - Buckinghamshire
Wilkins - Herts
Lamberts - Herts
Crowe -Northern Ireland

Offline PabloC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 00:13 BST (UK) »
That looks really good Mimble,  :) and pretty much seems to be the same format as I've been thinking of approaching it myself.

Since my first post to this thread I decided to have a bash at putting together a structured history of one of my lines, working forward from my Great, great grandparents.

Within a couple of hours I'd put down over two thousand words comprising specific family-based and general context-based history and am still not finished with my Great, great grandparents. Whilst typing away, I found myself wishing that my Dissertation and many, many University essays had written themselves so easily at the time!!!!  ;D ::)

I can edit it as I wish etc, whilst continuing to add more to it, as well as photos and pictures etc.

If anyone else is thinking of stating to put it all down.,.just start typing!  :)

Paul
Arnold - Liverpool
Bennett-Co. Down, Ireland
Clisham-Liverpool/Ireland
Cox - Shropshire/Flintshire
Cuddy - Liverpool/Ireland
Dunne - Co. Laois, Ireland
Glue -Sussex
Guest - Staffordshire
Hughes - Co.Laios, Ireland
Jordan - Co.Down, Ireland
Lancaster - Cumberland
Manion - Liverpool/Galway, Ireland
Pearson - Cumberland
Vallely - Co.Louth, Ireland

Offline Mimble

• RootsChat Senior
  • Annie Louisa Jones of Aldon, great grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 20:43 BST (UK) »
I think this is invaluable as it draws together all our findings and makes them available for our family in the future. If we don't do it, much of what we find out will be lost as it won't be in a succinct summary. Also, it is in an easily accessible format - having a paper copy is good as who knows what will happen to digital records in the future?
I also found it easy to put down on paper - after all, we are the 'experts' on what we do, aren't we?
Mary
Morgan, Wilcox, Hulbert, Olive - Gloucestershire; Diggines, Gill, Rivers, Bull, Powell, Howell - Bristol; Hulley, Cawood - Yorkshire and South Africa; Stedman,  Hamar, Luther - Shropshire; Staddon, Rawle, Richards, Kemp -  West Somerset; Jones - Bettws, Montgomeryshire and Mainstone, Shropshire; Williams - Beguildy, Radnorshire; Coleman - Kent; Gradwell, Strickland - Lancashire;  Moodie -  Orkneys; Montgomery - Armagh, Down and Kildare; Parke - Kildare and Wicklow; Brangan - Bandon, Cork.

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 23:05 BST (UK) »
It certainly is important to put everything down on paper if you want it to survive for future generations to read. Digital storage is so easily lost: CDs/DVDs have a life expectancy of only 10-15 years, and magnetic media can apparently become corrupted in as little as 4 years from the influence of magnetic fields, according to recent research. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8172568.stm

And even if the data survives you need special equipment to read it . . . unlike a book  :)
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline sharonf73

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandad : 1917-2008 xxx
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 16 August 09 14:47 BST (UK) »
Mimble your book looks great and I love hearing what everyone else is doing.  When I started to do mine my fingers were running away with me!  It's amazing once you start how you keep going.  I know I've got a long way to go, and binding my family story is something I want to do.

Thanks for all the suggestions to my original request, again, Rootschat has been great and I look forward to any more suggestions and would love to hear how you are all getting on with your own stories!

Sharon
ANDERSON - Galashiels, Coldstream
EASTON - Edinburgh<br />FOWLER - Yorkshire, Traquair, Pathhead, Penicuik, Edinburgh, Fife, Canada<br />HENDRY - Coldstream, Edinburgh<br />MORRISON - Edinburgh<br />SWANSON - Edinburgh, Lasswade
THOMSON - Currie, Leith

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 16:29 BST (UK) »
i have lots of little stories its tying them all in together to make some sort of sense thats the problem.
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 03 September 09 22:30 BST (UK) »
i have lots of little stories its tying them all in together to make some sort of sense thats the problem.

I have exactly the same problem toni :-\
I have thought of 'flashbacks'as one way, or using historical events in between.

Another thought, if each story is worked as a chapter, then use a key word in the previous chapter to link to the next story, ie.  mention of a blacksmith at end of chapter 2, then chapter 3 can be about a relo who was a blacksmith.

Margaret
Simpson-Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Overend-Sutton, Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Whitaker - Cononley/Yorkshire, Pickard - Silsden/Yorkshire, Howarth - Skipton/Yorkshire and Lancashire, Heaton-Yorkshire, Preston-Yorkshire, Myers-Yorkshire & Australia, Wild-Yorkshire & Australia. Storey-Middlesex/Australia