Author Topic: Help I am stuck in PETERHEAD or Fordyce  (Read 7152 times)

Offline mellie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Help I am stuck in PETERHEAD or Fordyce
« on: Sunday 27 February 05 13:04 GMT (UK) »
 I was doing really well on my scottish ancestors but have got stuck with great great great granny!
JEAN/JANE  NICOL born abt 1817  ?Banff married in 1858  ALEXANDER PETERKIN 1813-1870

I cannot find her birth or anything anywhere!

also looking for - in Peterhead, Fordyce, Stricken Aberdeenshire

FALCONER     Andrew who married Mary Parlay in 1836
CRAIG           Jane born 1843 ?parents William Craig & Ann Davidson

MURRAY     Jane/Jean married Alexander PETERKIN

PARLAY  George b 1778 father ?John mother Elizabeth
JAFFRAY  William ?b 1747 wife was called Mary

Any help appreciated! - suggestions of where to look next etc
thank you
Mellie

Offline LesleyJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help I am stuck in PETERHEAD or Fordyce
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 March 05 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have done some research on a Parley family from Peterhead for a friend of mine i think that they might be connected to your family.

I have Alexander Parley b 1814 Peterhead, his father is George Parley and his mother is Mary Jaffray. George Parley was born 1778 (his parents are John Parley and Elizabeth McRobb) and he died 1838.

His wife Mary Jaffray b 1772 and died 7/01/1865 8 Crooked Lane Peterhead. Her parents are William Jaffray(b 1747) and Mary Robertson.

I hope this has helped i have alot more information on Parley/ Parlie family if you are interested, if you need any help just let me know all the best with your research LesleyJ.
Bouncing Emails

All census are crown copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Suckling,Aslen, Barker, Bartlett, Scriven- All Middlesex

Christie, Lee, Greig, Anderson, Brown, Will, Birnie, Beddie, Fowlie, Noble,Innes,Mowat, Stephen- All Aberdeenshire

Reid, Borthwick, Cowe, Johnston, Duncan, Aitken,Hunter, Johnston and Murray, East Lothian and Midlothian

Offline ellenbrora

• RootsChat Member
  • My Grant ancestors
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 March 05 17:45 GMT (UK) »
These are my Parleys too!!!

This is my maternal grandfathers line.

I too have them back to John Parley/Elizabeth McRobb and William Jaffray/Mary Robertson.

William Jaffray was born in Strichen 1741 to Andrew Jaffray and Jean Ross who married in Strichen 12.06.1735.

e mail me on (*) to share info.

Regards

Ellen.

(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.
Grant, Wright, Packman, Parley

Offline ellenbrora

• RootsChat Member
  • My Grant ancestors
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 March 05 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Mellie

I have just noticed reading back through the threads that you live in Pembrokeshire.

Although I am from the North of Scotland, I currently live in Cardiff - small world!

Ellen.
Grant, Wright, Packman, Parley

Offline mellie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 March 05 13:47 GMT (UK) »
lesley - I am guessing that your  Alexander Parley b 1814 Peterhead, is a brother to "my" Mary 1816-1872 who married Andrew Falconer in 1836

(I have hit a brick wall on Andrew Falconer)  I'm descended  via their son James Falconer 1842-1860 who married Jane Craig and their only child James 1860-1928

I notice you are researching Anderson - my great grandmother (daughter of James 1860-1928) has it as a middle name ?why... and strangely enough my husband grandmother was Anderson  - but from Argyll...

thanks for your interest and help, any suggestions as to where i can find out more about individuals? as in where they lived what they did?
Thanks in anticipation

Mel

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 March 05 00:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I bought the Marriage of Alexander Peterkine, to Jean Nicol.
they married 4/3/1858 at Portsoy, Fordyce, Banff.
Alex was 39yrs, Widower, worked as a Carter, lived at Portsoy. his father was Alexander Peterkine, shoemaker  [deceaed].
mother was Jane Murray.
 Jean Nicol 28yrs, Domestic servant, spinster, Father was James Nicol, Coachman,[deceased].
mother was Elizabeth Kelman,[deceased].

James Nicoll married Elizabeth Kelman 3/6/1821, Tyrie, Aberdeen.
The only children I could find on the IGI were....
Jean Henry Nicol, 5/1/1827, Longside, Ab
Douglas Watson Nicol 5/6/1837, Longside, Ab

In the 1841 Census,

Piece: SCT1841/153 Place: Fordyce-Banffshire Enumeration District: 7Civil Parish: Fordyce Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: -Folio: 7 Page: 20Address: Over Aird         

NICHOL         Elisa         F         35                   Outside Census County (1841)                            
          NICHOL         Elspit         F         15                   Outside Census County (1841)                            
          NICHOL         Jean         F         13                   Outside Census County (1841)                            
          NICHOL         Catherine         F         11                   Outside Census County (1841)                            
          NICHOL         Elisa         F         9                   Outside Census County (1841)                            
          NICHOL         Douglas         M         4                   Outside Census County (1841)                            
          NICHOL         Unnamed         F         1m                   Banffshire                            
                      Hope this helps.
kenjo ;D                                       

Pattillo, Connon, Shand, Mackie, Hickey, Brooks, Ryan.

Offline LesleyJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 March 05 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mellie the message i sent you sorry i thought they were married in 1842 but it is in 1836, you could look in the 1841 census for Peterhead this would show Andrew and Mary together also check the 1851 and 1861 census to see if Andrew Falconer is still alive and if he is you would get his death certificate. I found the website address for Aberdeenshire families here it is www.phlomis.plus.com/index.htm this might help all the best LesleyJ If you need help looking up the census I can look up them for you if you want.
Bouncing Emails

All census are crown copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Suckling,Aslen, Barker, Bartlett, Scriven- All Middlesex

Christie, Lee, Greig, Anderson, Brown, Will, Birnie, Beddie, Fowlie, Noble,Innes,Mowat, Stephen- All Aberdeenshire

Reid, Borthwick, Cowe, Johnston, Duncan, Aitken,Hunter, Johnston and Murray, East Lothian and Midlothian

Offline mellie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 March 05 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Lesley

Thank you very much - that has really moved things on a bit as I was having trouble with Jean Nicol's ancestors.
Many many thanks
Melanie

Offline mellie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 March 05 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Kenjo
Thank you that does help a lot!

Somewhere I am certain I have noted someone being born in longside and 1/2 dismissed it as being my family - do you think I can find that now!!! . if it was/is Jean Nicol then that ties in with your information... brilliant
/what is your interest in this family?
Many thanks - and apologies for not saying that sooner.
regards
Mellie