Author Topic: William Harris, George Blurton  (Read 12639 times)

Offline juliskasteed

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Harris, George Blurton
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 June 10 01:50 BST (UK) »
Michelle,
William Harris is my gg grandfather, my grandmother is Mary Josephine Harris (Edward's daughter) so I guess we're related?  :D We live in Adelaide, SA. My mum and dad moved from WA when I was three.
Would love to chat further.
Juliska

Offline juliskasteed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 June 10 02:12 BST (UK) »
Michelle, Which line do you come from?
Juliska

Offline baileys6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 June 10 15:02 BST (UK) »
Hi

I come from Arthur Harris' line.  He married an Ann Harris whose father was Timothy Harris and mother Caroline Mallane.

My father is Ronald Arthur Harris.

Is it possible to sight the birth certificate...  There is an online book that outlines our family tree, it's very interesting.

Michelle

Offline juliskasteed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 02:03 BST (UK) »
HI Michelle,
You mentioned a book about our family tree? Where would i find that? Arthur's line has been a bit of a mystery for us. We don't really know too much about him, except that we think Norman Cleaver was  a grandson? I think we're missing a generation. My great grandfather (Edward) was only two when William died, and the kids were split up, so we're missing a lot of info on some of the family . I've attached an old photo that my Granny had of the Harris children, Edward is in the back, and my Mum said that's Arthur on the end? We're just going by my Mum's memory of what my Granny told her, and for some reason Arthur wasn't there when the picture was taken and had to be added in after. Anyway I thought you might fight it interesting.   It's funny, my Mum had found something that said Arthur had fought overseas and i was just trying to find info about him last week, but was unable to. How many children did Arthur have?
Sorry what were you asking about a birth certificate?
Anyway, i would love to know more about you and how we're connected, if you need some sort of proof let me know.
Sincerely, Juliska

Offline baileys6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 15:14 BST (UK) »
Hullo

Thank you so much for the picture.

Are you on Ancestry.com.  My tree is on that....

Apologies I meant death certificate not birth certificate...

My personal email is - (*)

The online information is called Nyungar Tradition Online by Lois Tilbrook.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Michelle

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline aithne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 12:39 GMT (UK) »
hey guys.

I forgot about this thread and didn't realise there were further posts.

I'm not sure about that photo, as yes, those people do appear to be Noongar, but they don't look like any of the people mentioned. As you may know, William Harris, son of William Paulet Harris, his brother Edward Harris and nephew Norman (above mentioned Norman Cleaver Harris, son of Arthur and Annie Harris, who is my great Grandfather) were Aboriginal activists in the early to mid 1900s and there are photos of them prior to meeting with the Premier of WA. If you would like those photos, or any other photos of the Harris men, please send me a private message.

As far as the Nyungar Traditions book goes, the family trees contained in that book are incorrect in a number of places.

Arthur and Annie Harris (Maiden name also Harris) had 10 children according to the info I have here.

Arthur Harris, son of Arthur and Annie Harris did serve overseas in the war.

William Paulet Harris "married" Mary Campbell, a "fullblood" (will need to check that. Her father is listed as also "fullblood") and I am assuming, based on the fact she is listed as coming from the Williams River area that she is a Wardarndi woman. There is a Native Title claim for that area under the name Bunnaro (Mary Campbell's alias) and there should be further info listed under that claim which should be of help to you as we need to prove family lines to make those claims. I suggest you contact them for further info. The Harris family is listed on that claim but I have no involvement with it and I cannot tell you what documents they have as i didn't know there was a claim until october last year.

I hope that clears some things up for you.

Leitch, Bain, Buchan, McNamara, Matheson, McRay, Harman, Harris

Offline juliskasteed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 20 January 11 06:53 GMT (UK) »
HI, just wanted to let you that the photo was given to my mother, by her mother, who is Edwards daughter. Yes, that's definitely the Harris children, or at least the children Edward had with Mary Ann Blurton. I know there were 4? other children that were taken from him after hos first wife died. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

Offline aithne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 20 January 11 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Oh, you meant they're Edward's children.

I was going off your post

My great grandfather (Edward) was only two when William died, and the kids were split up, so we're missing a lot of info on some of the family . I've attached an old photo that my Granny had of the Harris children, Edward is in the back, and my Mum said that's Arthur on the end? We're just going by my Mum's memory of what my Granny told her, and for some reason Arthur wasn't there when the picture was taken and had to be added in after.

which indicates they're the children of William Paulet Harris.

It's bit confusing because as far as I know, Edward didn't have a son named Arthur.

For Edward I have
Alice b 1905
Lynden b 1906
Connie b 1908 - 1912 (?)
Olive b 1910

all with Alice Wilkes

then with Mary Ann Blurton

William b 1913
Margaret b 1916
Mary and Leila (twins) b 1918
Dave b 1920
Myrtle b 1921
Ruby b 1925
John b 1928

He must have had further sons as there's more in the pic than I have listed.

Anyway, those photos I linked you to in PM definitely feature your great grandfather.

Now that we've done further research we'll be writing the film script on them.
Leitch, Bain, Buchan, McNamara, Matheson, McRay, Harman, Harris

Offline juliskasteed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 21 January 11 01:58 GMT (UK) »
HI, sorry to be confusing. The picture I posted are William Harris' children. It was taken when Edward was around eighteen. My mum has the original photo, with the names  (as my Granny remembered them) on the back. Standing left to right is George, Mary, Edward, Jack and Jim. Seated left to right, are Arthur, William, Percy, who is Jim, or James' son, and David on the end next to Percy. I had it wrong, it was James who was added later. Sorry for the confusion. :)