Author Topic: John Mckenzie/ Margaret Nairn: married Dec. 25th, 1789, Scotstarvit, Ceres  (Read 12010 times)

Offline SpudW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Mckenzie/ Margaret Nairn: married Dec. 25th, 1789, Scotstarvit, Ceres
« on: Wednesday 09 September 09 17:05 BST (UK) »
I'd be interested to know if anyone has any info relating to the John Mckenzie who married Margaret Nairn on December 25th, 1789, in Scotstarvit, Ceres, and whose descendent whould later found the well-known Edinburgh funeral parlour McKenzie and Millar.

Offline Stanza

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: John Mckenzie/ Margaret Nairn: married Dec. 25th, 1789, Scotstarvit, Ceres
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 00:28 BST (UK) »
I haven't followed this up as he isn't in my direct line, but in my family tree I have a John McKenzie born c 1816 in Ceres - he may well be a relative of your John McKenzie.

(And even if I can't help you, perhaps you can help me!!!!!)

You can view my tree at www.johnsimpson.tribalpages.com
ABERDEENSHIRE: Simpson, Robb, Kelman, Gatt, Will, Ling, Henderson, Campbell, Stewart, Gordon
DUNBARTONSHIRE: Smith, Russell, Donald, Meiklem
GLASGOW: Guthrie
RENFREWSHIRE: Gilmour, Pollok, Urie
IRELAND: McIlhenny, McIlhaney
LANCASHIRE: Swainson, Baines
YORKSHIRE: Littlewood, Bastow/Barstow/Bairstow, Nussey, Haley, Wilkinson
WILTSHIRE: Marsh, Golding/Goulding/Golden/Goulden
DEVON: Perry, Hurford
BERKSHIRE: Chandler, Langley, Surman
AUSTRALIA: Poole, Surman, Miatke, Baum
GERMANY: Miatke, Baum

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 11:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Spud.  the fife death CD has 1 john mckenzie, ceres:

John Mckenzie  buried 5/6/1829 age 72   consumption.

that would make his birth 1757 which would fit with the marriage you have.

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline SpudW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 October 09 09:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for both your contributions! The death info sounds relevant: I wonder if there will be a death cert from that period? I would really like to establish his parentage.

As for the 1816 John McK, there's the outside possibility that he's the son of the son of my first post's John McK, though I have no concrete evidence unfortunately. I know that John McK (1)'s son - another John McK! - married Margaret Garland in Ceres in 1815, so there's every possibility they had a son in 1816 and, following naming patterns, called him after the grandfather - otherwise the first son I have is William in 1825 (my direct decendent). Thanks again!

Offline Dijohall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 July 10 01:33 BST (UK) »
I am also descended from John McKenzie and Margaret Nairn's son John McKenzie who married Margaret Garland.  I am descended from their son Alexander McKenzie who was born in Kettle in1829.  I agree that it is likely that they had a son, John, born in 1816.  John McKenzie and Margaret Garland appear to have followed the naming convention and John was the only child I could not find in my research.  Margaret Garland's parents were likely David Garland and Agnes Haxton (married 1780 in Markinch).  The oldest daughter of John McKenzie and Margaret Garland was Agnes (~1817), the next daughter Margaret (1819) and then the twin sons, David and William (1825). 

My ancestor Alexander McKenzie was listed in the 1851 census as living in Drums, Falkland and I could not figure out why he moved to Falkland.  If John McKenzie (1816) was his older brother and he lived in Falkland, this would help explain why Alexander moved to Falkland. 

Offline mac64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 January 12 08:28 GMT (UK) »
hello
John McKenzie who married Margaret Garland.  I am also descended from their son Alexander McKenzie
who was born in Kettle in1829?

.Alexander McKenzie marr   1st  agnes fleming       
                                            2nd  ann ritchie  1873
childrne born to 2nd marriage   John ,Robert, Alexander b1879(my  g/father) ,James ,Janet ,Annie

does this fit with what you have
mackenzie  park  mcdonald   old monkland   coatbridge  dalserf

Offline Dijohall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 January 12 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Interesting to know you are related through the same line.  Ann Ritchie and Alexander McKenzie were the parents of Annie Ritchie.  Annie Ritchie was the mother of my grandfather - Alexander McKenzie Steele.

How are you related? Through the Fleming family or the Ritchie family?  I am happy to share my research with you.

I have a picture of the McKenzie family in Vancouver, B.C., Canada in the 1930's.  I wonder how they are related to all of us?  I don't have any first names on the photo but would be happy to share it.

Regarding the earlier posts and John McKenzie (1792), info from the census (1851) shows that John was a limestone miner living in Kirkforthar Feus, Markinch. He was dead prior to the marriage of his son Alexander in 1860 according to the marriage certificate.  Of note, I found a newspaper clipping in the historical society library in Edinburgh.  In the Fifeshire Advertiser on Sept. 9, 1854 and the Fifeshire Journal on Sept. 14,1854 the death of a Mr. McKenzie of Kirkforthar Feus who worked in the Forthar Lime Works is shown.  There is no way of knowing if this is the same person but the odds seem reasonable.  It would be interesting to search the local cemetery records to learn more. Unfortunatley, I don't think I will be visiting the area and can not do so.

Happy researching!

Offline Dijohall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 January 12 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Just noticed you indicated you are related through Alexander.  I have the children of the first marriage as Jane (1860 - ?), Margaret (1862 - ?), John (1864 - 1915), Alexander (1866 - 1867), and Robert (1867 - ?). The children from the second marriage I found are Janet (1873 - 1885), Annie (1875 - 1942), Mary (1878 - 1878), Alexander (1879 - ?) and James (1881 - 1902).  I have a picture of the headstone of Alexander McKenzie (drowned in the Old Monkland Canal in 1829 - 1900).  The headstone for Alexander shows also Jessie (Janet), James and John.  Ann Ritchie (~1845 - 1917) is in a separate grave a few plots further along the same row. 

Offline mac64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 January 12 15:38 GMT (UK) »
hi
Ann Ritchie and Alexander McKenzie also were parents of alexander mackenzie (brother to annie) who was my grand father b1879  married agnes park mcdonald and emmigrated to perth australia.  Was Annie born about 1876, i did notice the name steel on death form  How far back have you gone on this line ?
mackenzie  park  mcdonald   old monkland   coatbridge  dalserf