Author Topic: Widow's Maiden Name  (Read 2746 times)

Offline bill spears

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Widow's Maiden Name
« on: Friday 11 September 09 00:09 BST (UK) »
This is  not so much a lookup but a request for advice.  Alexander Whitelaw Spears died 28 Feb 1954 in Oxhey, Watford.  Widow is shown simply as M. Spears. No amount of searching gives me a marriage so I do not have a first or maiden name.  Nor can I find a death or remarriage for the widow.  Any suggestions please on how I can proceed?

Bill

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Widow's maiden name
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 September 09 00:51 BST (UK) »
I see he was 49 when he died, giving a birth c1905

You can't really search for a remarriage for his widow until you find his marriage.  You need to search the full GRO index for his marriage from c1923 onwards, have you already done that?

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 September 09 00:52 BST (UK) »
They may not have married in England.  Alexander was 49 when he died so b approx 1905/6

Was he born in Scotland

If you know the names of any of their children and when they were born - you could check the birth index which would give the mothers maiden name
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 September 09 00:55 BST (UK) »
Would this be his birth reg?

Mar 1905  Gateshead    10a   1084       Spears    Alexander   

If so, he may have married in Gateshead area which might narrow it down, and Carole's suggestion about children's births is a good one    

`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 September 09 01:28 BST (UK) »
Have you ruled out this one?

Jun 1931 Morpeth    10b   843
Batey    Freda M            Spears    Alexander

Offline bill spears

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 September 09 02:40 BST (UK) »
Yes, thanks and Mary Evans 1943 in Durham.

Offline bill spears

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 September 09 03:02 BST (UK) »
I thought that I could reply individually but it seems I can't.  I know of no children.  Alex was born in Scotland but I haven't found a marriage. I can only get to 1933 online so I'll have to find a way around this.   I have searched the GRO England indexes  from the 1920s for a marriage.  I have searched for a remarriage of the widow under Spears so that I could possibly get her first name. Likewise I have searched for a death if she had not remarried.  Many thanks to you all.

Bill

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 September 09 09:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill

I looked from 1923 to 1936 inc.  If you can get to your local main library they should have access to the GRO index.  Any idea where he was living before ending up in Watford? 
You could perhaps try the electoral rolls for 1954?

Will have another look from 1936 onwards

Barbara

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 September 09 11:49 BST (UK) »
What bothers me about the 1905 entry and also the 1911 entry - no Whitelaw as a middle name

It could have been added after his birth was registered but I would (perhaps) have expected it to appear in full on the 1911

It was a middle name known to whoever registered his death so I reckon it was on his birth cert

Purely a hunch - I don't think this couple married in England and I don't think Alexander was born in England

It may be worth a look on Scotlands People

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)