Author Topic: Ebenezer Chapel ( Primitive Methodist) Halifax burial ground 1890s?  (Read 30613 times)

Offline Nugirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ebenezer Chapel ( Primitive Methodist) Halifax burial ground 1890s?
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help Pat and I will try to contact the gentleman you have mentioned.
Will let you know if I find it  :)
Beverly
Gomersal & Clegg, Roberts, Pettinger

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nugirl,

My advice would be wait till me Mr Melia comes back off holiday, as I think he has a map of the old graveyard also you will have noticed how overgrown the graveyard is in the old side of the graveyard down the banking toward that big tower, also behind the modern later graves. Overgrown means close trees with bushes, creeping spiky thorny things and also the graves have sunk with headstones that maybe dangerously loose. Just green long grass can cover a multitude of sins of holes as I went down one about a 18 inch deep and nearly broke my leg in another graveyard. Kingscross is one of the most dangerous graveyards there is! If you do go or anyone? either take someone with you and work in pairs in eye contact all the time in the old section or at least let someone know where you are going or doing. Best call at the police station as they then know! as they keep look out for theft also your safety as they know Kingscross well! Last make sure your moblie phone is charged.

Some graves have numbers visable and some can be seen around the stone edge , so then you can workout in rows & by dates of burial.

Take great care and above all be safe.  :)

Dob's
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Nugirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for all your advice Dob's.

When it gets to the time to go in search i will take very good care and follow all your advice.  :)

Beverly
Gomersal & Clegg, Roberts, Pettinger

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Best take a walking stick to prod in front of your as footing, unseen holes, vines and gentle prod the stones also take a pair of sectors and good walking shoes with plenty of grip (I use them ice grips over my shoes -see them online as cheap to buy). Keep out of the falling range of stones.

On sunny days that banking can be very slippy on grass or or part dried mood  :-\

Dob's
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline lani10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 26 January 12 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Charlotte,

Are these not the people that Andy helped you locate in King Cross Cemetery, Halifax in 2009? He also helped me at that time. James died 1895 and Ann 1896. They are buried in grave 798. I have attached a photo that Andy took for us. He also sent another photo of the small stone. It wasn't personalized but I can't remember if it just said #798. Search King Cross Cemetery and look for post May 9, 2009 from drewhowson for more info.

Jan 

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 26 January 12 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi  Jan, Pan & Charlotte

Sorry to intrude again! but from Jan's photo!! please note the grave stones part hidden in the trees, bushes, vines, low growth to the left & right of the opening terrest as just to show how dangerous that cemetery is.

Dob's.

Offline lani10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 26 January 12 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

Think I answered an old post of Charlotte's but anyhow. Andy (drewhowson) was instrumental in locating my great grandparents' grave in King Cross in 2009. When I visited there he "blazed" the trail so to speak and led us to the grave. It was my understanding that he was going to make a map.
Might check with him as he is exceptionally helpful.

Jan

Offline drewhowson

• RootsChat Member
  • GG Grandfather Frederick Riley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 26 January 12 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Anyone want a grave finding in King Cross methodist graveyard let me know, i will gladly search for them, as some of you  have said, you need a machete and stout stick in place to get through the overgrown jungle.
I have replied to Nugirl with the directions to the grave she is looking for.
Regards,
Andy
Howson, Yorkshire.                       Census Information crown Copyright
Pybus,Halifax Yorkshire.                   from   WWW. National Archives.gov.uk
Riley, Sowerby and Norland Yorkshire.
Gaukroger,Halifax Yorkshire.
Stansfield,Ripponden area Yorkshire

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 27 January 12 06:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andy,

Hope the police don't catch you with the machete, but you may get away with a hand scythe! I always contact the police, churchwarden or cemetery owner to ask advice of them before I start seaching as any does and don'ts.

Dob's