Author Topic: Samuel ROSENTHAL Lookup Vic Please  (Read 7520 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel ROSENTHAL Lookup Vic Please
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 07:15 BST (UK) »
Ah Sue :(  The search continues.

Have you any evidence that your Samuel emigrated to Australia?

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sue21757

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 07:27 BST (UK) »
I don't know a lot about Rebecca ,my Grandfather died when i was 2 and his wife would not talk about the Jewish side of the family.She was Irish and a Catholic and i think that she was embarrassed about the Jewish side.
I am only guessing that the Samuel Rosenthal on the ship with Rebecca is a relation.
It is a shame that Rebecca died in England so not a lot of info on that cert if only she had died here. :(

Cheers Sue

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 07:38 BST (UK) »
Oh dear,

It can be so tempting on the Vic BDM with those certificates so readily available.  I had a quick look for outward passengers ex Victoria 1869 to 1876, and did not find him there, although many were just "Mr"......

Just to confirm though, we are looking for Samuel born abt 1852, in what is now Poland, hoping to find his father was Judah, and also that Samuel's sister was Rebecca.  Have I got that right please?

Do you think they were in England by 1861 Census night, or is it more likely they were in transit in England in 1869?  Or, do you know where/when Rebecca's first marriage (to Lesser) occurred?  If in London area, then LMA records are newly online via a commercial site.  The records there seem to be showing Banns as well as BDM and the parish records etc show witnesses signatures not just the parties to the marriage....

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 07:39 BST (UK) »
I suppose you had noticed that both Samuel and Rebecca have the same fiche and page details.  Perhaps a new request for a lookup of the fiche at PROV or elsewhere [libraries and genealogy centres] to see if there are any further identifying details.  

Cheers
Cando

Offline sue21757

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 08:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

Yes JM you have got that right.Shocking those records on line when i have the credit card with me,will have to leave it at home  ::)I have had a look in England on the 1861 and can not see them.I think they might have been in transit when they came out in 1869.I think her first marriage must have been in Poland .Nothing showing up in England.
Hi Cando yes i had noticed that.Gosh i was in at the library yesterday but for something different.Not a day off in near future when i can get in.Oh well will have to wait.

Cheers Sue

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 08:45 BST (UK) »
Bit More,

Perhaps worth checking on parents of the following ?
Mr. David Rosenthal, founder of the Melbourne firm of Rosenthal, Aronson, and Co., died this week at the age of
85 years. - - that's from (Sth Australian) The Advertiser Thursday 10 March 1910 pg 6.

http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/5242401?searchTerm=%22DAVID+ROSENTHAL%22

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 08:49 BST (UK) »
Sue,

If it's any help, I will check the manifest for the "Somersetshire"....at my local library tomorrow.

Perhaps it may contain a useful piece of information.

Sarra

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 09:02 BST (UK) »
Bit More,

Perhaps worth checking on parents of the following ?
Mr. David Rosenthal, founder of the Melbourne firm of Rosenthal, Aronson, and Co., died this week at the age of
85 years. - - that's from (Sth Australian) The Advertiser Thursday 10 March 1910 pg 6.

http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/5242401?searchTerm=%22DAVID+ROSENTHAL%22

JM

He died at St Kilda.  Parents unknown.  David was in partnership with what appeared to be his father in law or brother in law.  There was a David ROSENTHAL established as a jeweller by 1856 in Melbourne and there was also a David ROSENTHAL  married to Julia ORONSON.  There are many entries in Vic Govt Gazettes.

I suggest we wait for Sarra's lookup and let's hope there is more identifying info. ;D

Cando

Offline sue21757

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 09:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarra

Thankyou so much for the offer.Will wait for that,the only thing with looking up David is that he would have been born C 1825 which would make him a candidate as a brother to Rebecca's father.

Cheers Sue