Author Topic: Wimbush, All  (Read 8162 times)

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Wimbush, All
« on: Saturday 10 October 09 13:18 BST (UK) »
I've recently started my ONS following my maternal grandmother's name of Wimbush.
My biggest surprises so far have been the frequency of the name and that there have been some quite famous Wimbushes.

I'm starting my study in the UK along with any of their descendants who emmigrated.
I'll then follow on with any other branches outside the UK.

If anyone has info on, or connections with, any branches of the name I'd love to hear from you.
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline misuaorang

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Wimbush, All
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 March 10 18:21 GMT (UK) »
I have some Wimbush ancestors that don't seem to come up in the searches you've been doing in other threads, so I'll mention them in case you're interested. I haven't made all that much progress tracking down their details, but what I have so far is:

Samuel WIMBUSH, b abt 1800, Wolverhampton
He was a butcher on Long Millgate, Manchester
he married a Betty, don't have wedding details, finding more about that is work in (slow) progress. I'm sure I have other details about Betty, but don't have them with me - pretty sure she was born in Manchester or thereabouts (based on a census record).
Their children were:

Samuel WIMBUSH, b 1845, married Alice Townley in Manchester, 1861 (quite an early age to marry, possibly an interesting story to be told there involving a shotgun, but I don't know any details)

Betty (aka Elizabeth) Wimbush, b 19 Sep 1848 Manchester, baptised Manchester Cathedral 1 Oct 1848, married Patrick James Connaughton on 21 Nov 1880 at Salford, died 29 Mar 1912 at 107 Great Clowes St, Broughton, Salford.

Betty the younger is my ancestor. I did make contact with a descendant of Samuel jnr, a Dave Wimbush - I've been meaning to try to get back in touch with him so maybe now's the impetus to do so :). Dave provided me with some details of Samuel's descendants - apparently at least one of them is on the Manchester War Memorial, a WW1 casualty.

Let me know if this line is of interest to you - I'll try to dig up some more details if so.

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 March 10 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi =)

I do have them, just that they aren't on my direct line.
Samuel (married Alice Townley) was born in Q2 1844 Manchester and they married 24 Nov 1861.

Betty (Samuel's sister) was registered and baptised as Betty, rather than Elizabeth - I guess her mother preferred Betty instead. I haven't followed that branch further as they then become Connaughton and I've had to limit how far I diverse from the Wimbush name for this particular study.

Joseph, son of Samuel and Alice, was in the Lancashire Fusiliers and died 26th June 1915 aged 48. His name is on the War Memorial in the Southern Cemetery, Manchester.

I'd love to share/compare with you - it's always good fill in gaps or find that you both arrived at the same result =)
Likewise, if I can offer any assistance on this branch do let me know.
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Offline misuaorang

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 March 10 19:53 GMT (UK) »
I'm still serving out my probation, so can't PM, so I'll add some more details here.

Samuel the elder was actually probably born about 1794, not 1800 - I think I misread the census page before (1851 census, Long Millgate, Manchester), his age was I think 57. Elizabeth aka Betty the elder was born in Warrington. They seem to have had six kids, Martin b 1835 in Warrington, William b 1838 Manchester, Mary b 1841 Manchester, Betsy b 1843 Manchester, Samuel b 1845 Manchester, Betty b 1848 Manchester. Presumably Betsy 1843 died early, or they wouldn't have recycled her name.

I've found a possible marriage for Mary in 1860, to a William Davies - which is bad for my purposes as marrying a Davies, while not as bad as marrying a Smith, still amounts to dropping off the face of the Earth as far as records are concerned.

I've tried to track down Warrington records. Their first child was born there, as was Betty, so perhaps they married there - but no luck yet finding anything. Also no luck finding any records about Samuel's birth in Wolverhampton. I'd be delighted to get any help tracking them down. There are some traces of other Wimbushes in Manchester, but not many, it seems to be usefully unusual in that area.

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 March 10 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Are you convinced that Elizabeth/Betty snr was born Warrington?
The 1851 has her p.o.b as Warrington but the 1861 has it as Bold. I know there's only about 7 miles between the two places but I'm not convinced one way or the other yet.

Martin vanishes after the 1851 census, William died in 1840. Mary as you say married William Davies. Betsy died Q4 1843. Samuel married Alice Townley and I have at least one of their lines of descent to present day. Betty married Patrick and that's your line so I guess you have them right through to present day too.

Samuel(snr)'s age is given as 40 on the 1841 census - that particular enummerator has written all the ages as he was given them and not rounded them off. On the 1851 I believe his age is 51, the upper horizontal line of the 5 joins up to the 1, making it seem as if it could be a 7; but if you look at the enummerators 7's they have a much longer down stroke, I'm convinced it's 51.
I'm not 100% convinced about Wolverhampton though. I've got a few lines that were around the West Bromwich/Oldbury area and I think he ties in with them at some point, but I have no proof either way - yet.

Offline misuaorang

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 01:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I spotted Betsy's death index record about five minutes after posting the above. And now I've found William's too, once you pointed it out.

I haven't seen the 1841 census, guess I'm going to have to finally overcome my innate stinginess and pay for access to the census :).

I had seen the 1861 census, forgot it had Elizabeth down as coming from Bold. I've had a wander around Bold church records that I can see online, seems a bit hopeless to find much there. Warrington in theory looks more hopeful, but I haven't found anything useful yet - but good documentation of the wrong place doesn't really help :).

I suppose this is getting a little away from your ONS, so I'll attempt to formulate a more specific query and post it on the Lancashire and/or Staffordshire forums.

Yes, I have Betty and Patrick's line in reasonable shape - well for many branches thereof, anyway.

Offline Moston

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 May 10 17:57 BST (UK) »
hello the Davies side have not fell off the face of the earth we are alive and kicking. William Davies married Mary Wimbush they had 4 children Alice ,Rose Hannah, William and my grandfather  Herbert. Herbert married Henrietta Litchfield and they had 8 children- Lilian, Marion twins who died early, Doris, Jack, Leslie, Hilda, Wilfrid and Herbert. Herbert was my father who died in ww2 the rest of the family emigrated to Canada in the late 1920's leaving my father in England. I am in the process of tracing them in Canada. William Davies's parents were Christopher and Mary Reed and Christophers parents were James and Rose Taylor

Moston

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 June 10 16:43 BST (UK) »
Just in case anyone is interested there is a Scavenger Hunt on Samuel b. c1800 here http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,465076.0.html

Offline littleem1906

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great great grandma Seaward
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 August 10 12:53 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am tracing my WIMBUSH ancestors and have hit a stumbling block. My great, great, great grandfather was JOHN WIMBUSH (1859 - 1926) and his wife was CHARLOTTE STEVENS (1859 - 1936). They lived in Oldbury and West Bromwich and had the following children;

1) JOHN (1881 - ?)
married CHARITY BEDDOWS and moved to America, Michigan area. He had 4 children that I know of, Florence P (1902- ?), John (1912 - ?), Phillip (1918 - 1974), Norris R (1923 - ?). I can't find out when JOHN and CHARITY WIMBUSH died or what happened to their children.

2) CHARLOTTE (1882-1884)

3) OLIVIA (1883-1883)

4) SAMUEL (1884 - 1953?)
married SARAH SMITH and moved to America. He had 2 children, Samuel S (1911- ?) and Sarah Maria (1913 - 2005). I can't find out where Samuel and Sarah died or what happened to their son.

5)ROSE HANNAH or ROSEANNA (1890 - ?)
My nan believes that Rose moved to America but I am struggling to find this out.

6) NANCY (my great, great grandmother) - I know all about her!

7)THOMAS (1894 - 1951?)
possibly married ANNIE LIVERSAGE and moved to Wales but I am unsure of this.

8. HENRY (1897)
Possibly married JANE ETHEL CROFTS? I know nothing else about him.

9) GEORGE (1900 - ?)
married ELIZABETH KEARS and had the following children, George H, Samuel J, Raymond, Joyce, Margaret E, Geoffrey, Joan and Barbara. I know nothing else about him or his children.

10) MARY (1902 - 1923)
I know nothing about her.

Do you have any information on this family in the research you have been doing?

Kind regards

Emma
Warwickshire, Birmingham, Worcestershire, Shropshire, Bridgnorth.