Author Topic: Wexford marriage  (Read 8629 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wexford marriage
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 00:27 BST (UK) »
I had found reference JHG - recalled something on here before but didn't think your family as Catholics would be related.

Do you have them in 1901 census? I can't see a birth for Harry aged 19 in 1911 and wondered (I do a lot of that) if that is his name in 1901.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 10:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Heywood

Yes I see that John Gowen he's not my John Gowan. when I was looking at the census it say's he had 9 children 7 was still living at the time of the census so far I have found 4
Ann born 1880
John born 1882
Catherine born 1886
James born 1889   I have got the birth cerificates for this 4.  The 3 other children
are Harry born 1892
Molly real name is Mary born 1896 (My grandmother)
Thomas born 1889   I can not find the  birth's  so he may not have registered them.  I guess the only thing I can do now is to find out what church they were baptized in.
Thank you for your help

Regards Manus

Good morning Manus,

I suppose the most important of the birth certificates is the first one for Anne because this would be nearest the marriage.
Are John and Mary living in the same place throughout- from 1880- 1911?
I notice that in your earlier posts, you thought that your grandmother (?) had changed her religion to Roman Catholic but we can see that the family are Catholic in 1911 so perhaps it may be worth trying for baptism records from the local church.

heywood

Offline manus

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Heywood

On Ann's birth certificate it say's place of birth Faraheen but I could not find it in Wexford. I  think this is a mistake and it should have been Raheen.  The registrar's District was Coolgreany Gorey Wexford  This is a copy of the birth certificate  On the other 3 it say's place of birth Hollyfort.  Thank you for your help.

Regards Manus

Moderator comment: only small portions of certificates may be posted and then only to assist with deciphering handwriting.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 12:36 BST (UK) »
It might be worth ordering a research cert from the GRO to check the original entry. This would be a scan/copy of the register and it might be possible to decipher the correct location.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline manus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 12:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane
Thank you for your help.  I ordered that certificate over the phone from Dublin office. Would I be able to order a research of the original from the same place.

Regards Manus 

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 12:58 BST (UK) »
I think you have order these from Roscommon by post (http://www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm)
.. but it might be worth trying by phone. From a search of the Civil index I believe these are the details you need :

Name: Anne Gowan
 Registration district: Gorey
 Record type: Birth
 quarter and year: Jul - Sep 1880
 Volume: 2 / Page: 801

if you provide these with your order they will not have to do a search, so it costs much less (I think about €4).

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline manus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 13:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane
Thank you for your help I will phone them and see what they say.

Regards Manus

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 18:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Heywood

On Ann's birth certificate it say's place of birth Faraheen but I could not find it in Wexford. I  think this is a mistake and it should have been Raheen.  The registrar's District was Coolgreany Gorey Wexford  This is a copy of the birth certificate  On the other 3 it say's place of birth Hollyfort.  Thank you for your help.

Regards Manus

Moderator comment: only small portions of certificates may be posted and then only to assist with deciphering handwriting.

There is a Lahareen (very difficult to find anything about it online) but I found it on seanruad site - then looking at a map on Askireland Griffiths - it's very close to Hollyfort. However can find nothing about registration districts.
It's very frustrating this but enjoyable.  ;)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 18:23 BST (UK) »
If you check www.thecore.com/seanruad the Poor Law Union is Gorey and that will also be the registration district.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!