Author Topic: Joseph Stewart McFadden  (Read 3312 times)

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Stewart McFadden
« on: Tuesday 17 November 09 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   I am trying to find the parents of Joseph Stewart McFadden. In the 1911 census he is a 20 year old living with his grandfather and his grandfather's wife in Culnaman, Bovagh. The step-grandmother had been married before but not until 1871 so I am wondering if his grandfather, Isaac Stewart, had also been married before. Any insight gratefully awaited.
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Stewart McFadden
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 November 09 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Isaac Stewart married Sarah Torrens on 26 October 1882 in Moneydig Presbyterian Church, a mere stone's throw from Culnaman.

According to this site :-

http://www.torrens.org.uk/Genealogy/BannValley/church/Moneydig/Marriages/1845-1889-mrgs.html

Isaac was a bachelor, son of Josiah Stewart, so it looks like he wasn't married before  (although other Rootschatters have found transcription errors on the site).  Maybe Joseph was a grand-nephew or other relative too complicated to explain in the space provided. 

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 November 09 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Akanex,
           Many thanks for your interest. As I cannot find a Stewart/McFadden marriage you may be correct.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 November 09 08:46 GMT (UK) »
The census lists Joseph Stewart McFadden as born Co. Antrim. Will check with someone I know (who is probably related) to see if they know who his parents were and let you know if I find out more.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 November 09 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Aghadowey,
                   My thanks. I am still chasing this elusive Morrison/ Torrens/Stewart family with the all too familiar first names.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 November 09 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Finally saw the first person I wanted to ask about Joseph Stewart McFadden this afternoon- name meant nothing but going to ask an older brother. If no clues from him know another family that might be able to sort this out.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 November 09 07:53 GMT (UK) »
Aghadowey,
                   Many thanks, any help on this will be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Sandel1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 December 23 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I realise this is an extension of a very old post (2009) but I have information relevant.  I am descended from McFadden of North Antrim - a John McFadden who married Rose Ann Wilson in the 1850s in Loughguile Parish Church.   I got a DNA match yesterday which MAY connect me to North Antrim Stewarts around Dervock/Stranocum - until yesterday a name not associated with my research, and maybe still not relevant.  Searching census 1901 for James Stewart, whose daughter Anna born circa 1870 may be a joint ancestor with my match I found a bachelor James Stewart living in Stranocum village in 1901 with an assortment of hitherto unknown McFaddens, including Joseph McFadden aged 11, son of unmarried Jane, who was daughter to unmarried Mary Elizabeth - these ladies had children out of wedlock, sometimes naming the father on birth records and lived with James Stewart the oldest one's bachelor uncle.  Elsewhere on a James' birth 1877 we find Mary Elizabeth to be the village shop keeper.  So... by 1904 James the uncle is deceased, and by 1911 census no trace of anyone of the family save for Joseph McFadden who had Reid in his birth registration, who now is Joseph Stewart McFadden, born Co Antrim, grandson to Isaac Stewart and living at Bovagh!   This may help the person who originally researched Joseph and in turn if anyone can find the link between the Stewarts and McFaddens of Stranocum I would be extremely grateful.
McFadden, McCaldridge, M'Aldridge, Gordon, Robb, McDonald

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 December 23 21:12 GMT (UK) »
... by 1911 census no trace of anyone of the family save for Joseph McFadden who had Reid in his birth registration, who now is Joseph Stewart McFadden, born Co Antrim, grandson to Isaac Stewart and living at Bovagh! 

This looks like Mary Eliza McFadden & Jane McFadden in 1911- Moneydig not far away-
https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Bovagh/Moneydig/590732/

Joseph is living with Stewarts in Culnaman in 1911 not Bovagh-
https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Bovagh/Culnaman/590724/