Author Topic: Portsmouth Football Club  (Read 5585 times)

Offline TillyFloss

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Portsmouth Football Club
« on: Sunday 17 January 10 01:15 GMT (UK) »
I have always been told that my Dads Dad play for Portsmouth but have never been able to find out anything,I have now found a photo of him wearing a Portsmouth shirt and picture of Portsmouth's Cup Tie January 1914.My Grandad's name was Joseph Hall he was born 4th November 1889 and lived in Middleton,Lancashire all his life and served in WW1.Hope someone can help thank you :)
I am Looking for William & Emma,Elizabeth,William Gertrude and Eileen  Moon,Joseph & Sarah Hall,Dale,Sproston,Smith,William & Jean Kemp

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Portsmouth Football Club
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 January 10 14:00 GMT (UK) »
I am sure that the club must have records of their early players etc but given their current problems, may have their minds on survival rather than helping someon with family history  :-\

There are a number of fan/supporter sites, both the official one (seems to be only 20 years old) and unofficial.  If you contact them, they may be able to help you. e.g.

http://www.portsmouth-mad.co.uk/news/loadfeat.asp?CID=ED21

there may be a history fanatic who might help.

Or Portsmouth Central Library, or the local paper who may have articles in the archives.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 January 10 15:02 GMT (UK) »
If you fail with those try the National Football Museum at Preston.  It is at Preston North End's ground which I think is at Deepdale.  However be aware that it is likely to move to Manchester later in the year.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TillyFloss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 January 10 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that,I have tried looking on the museum web site but he isn't listed.
I am Looking for William & Emma,Elizabeth,William Gertrude and Eileen  Moon,Joseph & Sarah Hall,Dale,Sproston,Smith,William & Jean Kemp

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 January 10 16:19 GMT (UK) »
I wasn't aware that the National Football Museum enabled you to search for people on-line.  In my experience it is usually necessary to contact them with as many details as possible.  They react particularly well if you can send them a copy of your photographs and if they have them will send you copies of any that they have. 

They seem to have nearly a 100% record of everyone who played in the football league or the FA Cup.  If they don't know about him then it is extremely unlikely that he played for the Portsmouth first team.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TillyFloss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 January 10 19:54 GMT (UK) »
I will try and vist the museum when I next go home Thanks

Offline Ronniebear49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 31 January 10 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tillyfloss,
As well as Genealogy, my other passion is supporting Portsmouth FC, as I have quite a collection of books on them I managed to Find a

HALL J
(centre Half) signed for Pompey on November 7th 1913,and stayed for the season 1913/14 before disappearing.
Pompey Career. 5 Appearances and 1 Goal.

I hope that this helps a bit as it seems to fit in to your time scale.
CLARK: Wooton-under-edge./ Westbury, Wilts.
GODSELL: Wooton-under-edge.
LEACH: Portsmouth.
JONES: Portsmouth.
WORLEY: Portsmouth.

Offline TillyFloss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much that fits in with what I know,I much appreciate your time. :)

Offline Ronniebear49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Tillyfloss,
I'm not sure if you have or need this information, but i have found some more on your Joseph Hall.

He signed for Portsmouth on 7th November 1913, and his games were,

Nov 12th 1913, Cardiff, won 2-0 he played No 5 ( Centre Half ).
Nov 26th 1913, Brighton, Lost 0-1 played No 5.
Dec 4th  1913, Newport County,won 2-1  played No 5 and  scored his only goal for the club.
Jan 21st 1914 Croydon Com, lost 0-1 played No 5.
Mar 11 1914, Newport County, won 1-0 played No 5.

Then he just disappeared.
Ronniebear.
CLARK: Wooton-under-edge./ Westbury, Wilts.
GODSELL: Wooton-under-edge.
LEACH: Portsmouth.
JONES: Portsmouth.
WORLEY: Portsmouth.