Author Topic: DOYLE, Bray  (Read 8986 times)

Offline clongafa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DOYLE, Bray
« on: Sunday 17 January 10 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm new to this.  I found a post from you regarding Doyles of Bray.  I am trying to trace a Mary Doyle of Bray who married a Thomas Sinnott of Wexford. They had a daughter Eliza born 1876 and sons Walter and Patrick, possibly others.  I think the Doyles in question ran the post office in Bray, but I have nothing to confirm this.

I saw you had a Mary Doyle born 1841, thought there was a small chance this was the Mary I was looking for.   She was my great great grandmother.

Angela.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: DOYLE, Bray
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 January 10 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm new to this.  I found a post from you regarding Doyles of Bray.  I am trying to trace a Mary Doyle of Bray who married a Thomas Sinnott of Wexford. They had a daughter Eliza born 1876 and sons Walter and Patrick, possibly others.  I think the Doyles in question ran the post office in Bray, but I have nothing to confirm this.

I saw you had a Mary Doyle born 1841, thought there was a small chance this was the Mary I was looking for.   She was my great great grandmother.

Angela.
hi Angela.. and welcome to rootschat..

The Mary Doyle (1841) I have listed is the elder sister of my g-grandmother Sarah. There were several Doyle families in and around Bray. Sarah & Mary's father's name was Dennis and he was a farmer in the townland of Killarney, which is just to the south west of Bray town. I have not traced marriage for any of Sarah's siblings yet, but do plan to do so this year.

Have you located a marriage cert for Mary & Thomas ?

I'll ask about getting this part of the thread split off to the correct Wicklow section..
Topic has been moved to the Wicklow section

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline clongafa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 January 10 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shane,

Thanks for the quick reply.   I know very little about Mary Doyle, as far as I know, Eliza was her first child, born about 1876, so I am guessing a marriage in the early 1870s is what I am looking for.   Have to wait for a day off work and a chance to search for wedding certificate.   I have had no luck on familysearch.org.

Will let you know if I find out anymore.

Thanks,

Angela.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 January 10 14:40 GMT (UK) »
do you know where was Eliza born ?

I had a quick look for any Doyle listing for Bray in 1877 Thom's, but no sign that I see of a post office connection

Andrew Doyle, Dargle Rd  - blacksmith
   Denis Doyle, Kilmacanogue - road comtractor (*)
   Henry Doyle esq., Rahan, Kilbride
   James Doyle, Little Bray - car owner (*)
   John Doyle, main street - dairy 
   John Doyle, Kilmacanogue - carpenter         
   Simon Doyle,  Newtown Vevay - spirit & provision dealer,
   Simon Doyle, Crinken - horse dealer/smith
   Simon Doyle, Shanganagh - smith

Postmaster : Patk. J. Byrne

* My Doyle/Fitzsimon ancestors had connections to both these trades

I will keep an eye out for any leads ... and let you know if anything shows up

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline clongafa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 January 10 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shane,

I know from familysearch.org that Eliza was born in August 1876, it doesn't give a more precise address than Ireland.  I hope to get the actual cert this week, as I can get that locally. That will give me a place of birth.  If it is not Bray it will be Wexford I think, as her father was from Wexford.

I am not sure about the post office connection, I was told that by a distant cousin, I think there is a shopping centre now where the post office was.   I have tried searching through the internet for connections between Doyles and the post office, but nothing. 

Will keep in touch.

Angela.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 January 10 11:49 GMT (UK) »
I wouldn't think that Walter is that common a name - so I had a look at the IGI records for the family and see Walter extracted birth given as 10 Oct 1878... there's only one match to that exact year in the Civil index and that is : 

Name: Walter Sinnot
 Registration district: Rathdown
 Record type: Birth
 quarter and year: Oct - Dec 1878
 Volume: 2 / Page: 831

Rathdown registration district would include the area around north Co. Wicklow around Bray... it also includes covers a large section of South Co.  Dublin.

If Eliza was registered as that name, rather than Elizabeth, then there is also a possible match for her birth in the same area :

Name: Eliza Sinnott
 Record type: Birth
 Registration date - quarter and year: 1876
 Volume: 12 / Page: 893

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline clongafa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 January 10 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Wow, you are a fast worker.   You are obviously at this a lot longer than I am.  I am just starting off.   That is the correct Walter alright.   Thanks for all that help.

Angela.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 January 10 12:35 GMT (UK) »
while we are on a roll - a possible marriage for Thomas and Mary, in the same registration district :

Name: Thomas Sinnott
 Record type: Marriage
 year: 1875
 Volume: 2 /  Page: 815

Name: Mary Doyle
 [same index details]

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline clongafa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 January 10 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant.   That has to be them.   Thanks so much.   I could not find a marriage for them.

That's great.   When I can get to Dublin and get that I will have even more information to go on.  Locally I can get birth certs from 1864, deaths from 1924 and marriages from 1920.   I have gotten some of those already.   I need to find time to get to Dublin to get the ones outside of that date.

I am really grateful for all your help.

Angela.