Author Topic: Soldier Private Army  (Read 5421 times)

Offline Ogleway

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Soldier Private Army
« on: Sunday 31 January 10 11:39 GMT (UK) »
A relative on 1911 Census is described as -

"Soldier Private Infantry"

Can anyone tell me what this actually means?

Many Thanks
Ogleway

Offline Ogleway

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Soldier Private Army
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me with some ideas?

Thanks
Ogleway

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 18:03 GMT (UK) »
I presume that means that he is a soldier, with the rank of Private, in an infantry regiment... if I am looking at the right census return (MN wife & daughter..) it looks like there could be comma between the three words.

You may find more details on what regiment he was in from his marriage cert... you can search the Irish Civil Index for a reference to this. The length of time they are married is transcribed as 16 years, but I believe that their landlady has written (and crossed out) 1 1/2 years on the line for his name, and overwritten 'one' over something else on the entry for his wife.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps I have misunderstood but in 1911 there was no Irish Army so doesn't that  mean he was in the British Army?
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps I have misunderstood but in 1911 there was no Irish Army so doesn't that  mean he was in the British Army?

Very true... I was assuming that was a given, but should have clarified

possibly the person referred to in this case was a member of one of the Irish based regiments like the Connaught Rangers, although if he's the person I located on the census, he's on leave and could actually be in any British regiment.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Ogleway

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shane and Imber for your replies.

You are right on all counts Shane, he was born in Sligo (despite what Census says!) and was married in 1910. Had a at a closer look at Census there are commas. How daft, I did not see them before, but they are so small!

Shane, how do you know he was on leave? Is it because he is home (daughter just born) otherwise he would be in Barracks?

Probably will never know regiment as he was in Scotland by 1914 and can`t find a record for him in WW1.

Regards
Ogleway

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shane and Imber for your replies.

You are right on all counts Shane, he was born in Sligo (despite what Census says!) and was married in 1910. Had a at a closer look at Census there are commas. How daft, I did not see them before, but they are so small!

Shane, how do you know he was on leave? Is it because he is home (daughter just born) otherwise he would be in Barracks?

Probably will never know regiment as he was in Scotland by 1914 and can`t find a record for him in WW1.

Regards
Ogleway

actually I'm assuming that he was on leave - since he was in lodgings with his wife & newborn daughter... I dont know if they were given paternity leave ?  He could also, I suppose, be living off-base.

Do you have his marriage cert ?  (it could include his regiment as part of his occupation)

There's a possible match on the Irish Civil Index, that could fit  :

Name: Michael Nixon
 Registration district: Galway
 Record type: Marriage
 quarter and year: Jan - Mar 1910
 Volume: 4 / Page: 143

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Ogleway

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Sent fo cert on Monday so I`m waiting for it to drop through the letterbox today or tomorrow.

Hopefully it will reveal all.

Will let you know.

Ogleway

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 February 10 17:01 GMT (UK) »
On my grandfathers wedding certificate it has his occupation as soldier but does not say what regiment  :(
Fingers crossed yours does.
Migky  ;)