Author Topic: South Africa to Bilston  (Read 34764 times)

Offline peep

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: South Africa to Bilston
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 12:57 BST (UK) »
  From THE NATAL WITNESS, FRIDAY MARCH 30 1900                                                                                PAGE 3

DEATH OF SERGEANT-MAJOR BOWEN
A loss to the Carbineers

The Natal Carbineers have suffered a severe loss by the death of Regimental Sergeant-Major Bowen, which, we regret to say, took place at Lidgetton on Wednesday.  Although the blow will be most keenly felt by the Carbineers, the demise of this popular officer is a loss also to the Volunteer Force generally and to the Colony, for the deceased identified himself in the most whole-hearted manner with every movement having for its object the well-being of the land of his adoption, and the country in which he had made up his mind to permanently settle.  Having served with one of the finest regiments in the British Army – the 3rd Dragoon Guards – he was well fitted for the position he held in the Volunteer Department, and in the distinguished corps to which he was attached.  He was a strict disciplinarian, insisted on work being done with military smartness, possessed a word of command that many commanding officers had cause to envy, but withal was popular with all ranks, and there is not a man in the corps who does not today deplore his death.  Many of his friends and comrades will recall to mind the gladness with which he hailed the opportunity of proceeding to the font, and the readiness with which he accepted the call to duty.  He was with the Carbineers during the Siege of Ladysmith, and though he had served with his regiment in India, and had enjoyed immunity from cholera, while many of his comrades in arms were less fortunate, the privations the Siege entailed and the hard work which the Carbineers were called upon to perform before the town was invested, told upon his otherwise robust constitution.  He struggled hard against the malady saying it was merely a return of malarial fever – an old enemy which had laid him low in India – but eventually he was reluctantly compelled from sheer weakness to retired on the sick list.  On the relief of the town he bravely struggled against his weakness, and actually marched with his Regiment to the Camp at Highlands, although evidently far from well.  The effect proved too much, and soon afterwards he became a prey to the ravages of the dreaded enteric.  He was removed to “Mooifontein”, Mr Wm Teasdale’s farm at Lidgetton, and despite devoted and unremitting attention and tender nursing, passed away on Wednesday, to the regret of all who knew him.
The late Sergt-Major Bowen, in addition to being an extremely smart officer, was one of the finest rifle shots in the Colony.  At the Bisley and Rifle Association meetings his successes were phenomenal, and he has on numerous occasions represented Maritzburg against Durban in the annual inter town shooting matches.  In sporting circles too, “Benny”, as he was familiarly called, was a prominent figure.  He was, up to the time of his death, Clerk of the Scales to the City Sporting Club, of which he was a valued member, while in the local cricket world he distinguished himself as a wicket keeper, having regularly played in that capacity for the Standard CC and being a member also of the MCC.  Of a cheery disposition, and loving sport for sport’s sake, he made many friends during the five years he had resided in Natal.  He was looking forward to the close of the War in the happy expectation of the realization of an event which would have altered the course of his life.  For her who would have been his partner had the hope been fulfilled, and to the relatives of the deceased in the Old Country there will be the deepest sympathy

THE NATAL WITNESS, MONDAY, APRIL 2, 1900                         

DEATHS

Bowen – On the 28th inst, at the residence of Mr Wm Teasdale, Mooifontein, Lidgetton,
  I have found this story so moving. My recently found cousin in S.A. has been able to trace his grave, and she has also found photographs of him and his beloved Mary (Cissie)
    I am still looking for the last of the brothers Percy St John Bowen who is proving to be a very slippery little critter!!! Any ideas???

Offline LimeTiger

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 23 December 10 01:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I was nonchalantly googling my family name and came across this site - I almost fell off my chair when I started to read the thread :)

My great great (not sure how great) grandfather is Joseph Weed Wade.
Our family has the original medicine chest that Alice had with her on the ship to South Africa.
We have done quite a bit of work and research into our family history and have a lot of documents, photographs and information to share should anyone be interested.

My aunt, who still lives in Dundee (South Africa) today, has done much of the work, and I'm sure would be absolutely fascinated and delighted to hear from anyone who has additional information and stories to swap.

Im not too sure how this site works as I have only just registered, but do leave me a message if you are interested :)

J.W.Wade

Hello LornaJ

This is very interesting - I have also just found the link to this site. I'm also a descedant of Jonathan and Ann's daughter Alice through a grandson John Berridge (father Joesph Weed Wade) who married Andrea Nilsen.

Rather a small world it seems :-)
I see a mention of Dundee in the posts too, which is where my connection would come in.

This is really quite fascinating!

Hi Sue

I have just found this link. I am descended from Jonathan and Ann Wade's daughter Alice Wade, who emigrated to South africa with her deceased sister Elizabeth Hesom's 2 sons. I would be so grateful if you could send me the information going back the 4 generations to William Wade and Alice that you mentioned in your posting.

LornaJ

Hi John

Until i came across this thread i had no idea that any of the Wade family had gone out to South Africa. Looking back on previous replies it seems Elizabeth bpt 16.3.1817 Stonton Wyville is your ancestor ?
She was the daughter of Jonathon and Ann Wade and was one of 10 children. Is this the right family ?

If so , back 4 generations to a William Wade and Alice.
They had 9 children one of them a Jonathon Wade who would be your ancestor and another called Henry who was my G x 6 Grandfather.

You perhap's already have this info but if not i would be happy to pass it on to you.

Sue

Offline sparky69

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Sunday 06 November 11 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Revisiting this thread after a long time not sure if it's active but have found more info about the Hesom's in Africa.
i have now found that they do descend from the same hesom line that I come from, below are some of the records I have found.
Thomas Hesom born abt 1750 buried 06 Jul 1796
married
Elisabeth Mayo born abt 1754 buried 20 Jun 1829
at Willoughby, Warwickshire, England 21 Dec 1772
they had 10 children all born in Willoughby
Thomas Hesom Baptised 22 Aug 1773
Edward Hesom  Baptised 23 Jul 1775
Margaret Hesom Baptised 24 Aug 1777
Joseph Hesom  Baptised 09 Jan 1780  22 Dec 1782
William Hesom Baptised 19 May 1782
Mary Hesom Baptised 16 Jan 1785
Joseph Hesom Baptised 27 May 1787 buried 08 Nov 1832
George Hesom Baptised 25 Dec 1789 buried 08 Jan 1818
James Hesom   Baptised 10 Feb 1793
Elizabeth Hesom Baptised 12 Oct 1795

James Hesom married Mary Malin 17 Apr 1811 Willoughby, Warwickshire, England by banns published Apr 7, 14, 21
witnesses George Hesom, Matthew Jephcott & Ann Hart

Mary Malin Baptised 08 Nov 1792 Willoughby, Warwickshire, England
parents John Malin & Elizabeth Jephcott
 married 01 Dec 1791 Willoughby, Warwickshire, England by License
witnesses Joseph Townsend & Thomas Tuckey

George Hesom Baptised 22 Dec 1811 Willoughby, Warwickshire, England
Born 01 July 1811

George Hesom & Elizabeth Wade
married 28 Sept 1841 Saint Andrew, Rugby, Warwickshire, England
Father James Hesom      Builder
          Jonathan Wade   Grazier
witnesses Joseph Wade & Sophia Wade

children of George Hesom & Elizabeth Wade
Elizabeth Anne Hesom Baptised 01 Mar 1842 buried 05 Mar 1842 Willoughby, Warwickshire, England
Mary Hesom Baptised 01 Mar 1842 buried 05 Mar 1842 Willoughby, Warwickshire, England
George Thomas Hesom
Robert Hesom Baptised 07 Dec 1845 Willoughby, Warwickshire, England
Sophia Hesom 1848 & died 1848 London Borough of Barnet

George Hesom died in the London Borough of Barnet in 1849

Elizabeth Hesom nee Wade married Owen Owens
 15 Apr 1850 St Botolph Aldgate, Middlesex
witnesses WM Singer & Sophia Wade

I have also found some info about Robert hesom (1845)

NATAL WITNESS - DEATHS
Hesom, Mary Ann f  33, 26-Feb-1881, 1-Mar-1881,
at PMBurg, the beloved wife of Mr R Hesom
Hesom, Robert m 38, 26-Jan-1884, 2-Feb-1884,
at PMBurg, of sunstroke  Deeply regretted by a large circle of friends

Also I have found another record from 1867 relating to George Thomas Hesom(1843)
National Archives of South Africa (NASA)
Database:    Pietermaritzburg Archives Repository
MSCE    3/16    H21/1867    HESOM, JOANA MARIA. (BORN KEMP) (S/S GEORGE THOMAS).
Does this mean GT married twice?

hope this is helpfull

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Sunday 06 November 11 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Wow My line hooray so there is a link Will read and try to compare  your data with mineand will get back soon
Trees

added I have missed two children for Thomas and Elizabeth in Willoughby
Mary and James now as I had looked through the film of the regesters in Warwick and was looking specifically for their children I am at a loss as to how I missed them :-[

Matthew JEPHCOTT who witnessed James's marriage married Elizabeth Hesom and they had 10 children
Matthew's sister Elizabeth JEPHCOTT  married Joseph HESOM 3 Feb 1811 in Willoghby

Can you confirm you have the baptisms for Mary and James from the Pr please

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Sunday 06 November 11 18:05 GMT (UK) »
I have for Thomas and Elizabeth Mayo's children:
Thomas 1773 m Mary ELLARD 8 Nov 1809 Willoughby he was buried 5 Dec 1858 and she 22 Oct 1854 both in Willoughby she was bap 17 Jan 1773 daughter of Zaccheus Ellard and Ruth nee Hart ( my line is the Ellard family)
Margaret HESOM m William MUSSON 28 Apr 1802 in Willoughby they had 6 known children the 2nd Frederick married Ann ELLARD 6 Mar 1838 in Willoughby
Joseph HESOM m Elizabeth JEPHCOTT 23 Feb 1811 she was bap 11 feb 1789 and buried 6 Mar 1878 they had 8 ch bap in Willoughby
Elizabeth Hesom m Matthew JEPHCOTT he was bap 30 Jun 1786 he was the publican addressNew Building Holy Trinity Coventry in 1841 he died 1846 I think she took over the pub as she is a licenced victualler at the Bell Warwick lane St Michael's Coventry in 1851
The JEPHCOTT siblings were ch of Matthew and Elizabeth nee Bell they also had a brother Jonathan
You can see my  ELLARD research and a few photos of Willoughby on our web site
Welcome distant cousin I thought there must be a connection with the S African Hesoms its just not a common name
Trees :)

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Sunday 06 November 11 18:16 GMT (UK) »
I am wondering if the Joseph TOWNSEND witnessed the MALIN/ JEPHCOTT marriage was the one who was married to Mary CLARK he was buried 19 Jan 1801Their daughter Jane m William ELLARD
Willoughby is so small I think everyone will relate eventually
Trees

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline izabel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Sunday 05 February 12 19:01 GMT (UK) »
The following Hesom men served with Natal Carbineers.  Taken fromt he records at the NC Museum

HESOM George Plummer Cyril.  Trooper E3653
Attested:  1/7/1916, A Sqn.  Age : 18.  Occupation: 341 Bulwer Street, Pietermaritzburg.  Promoted Lance Sergeant 1/1/1922 (RO 37/1922) and Sergeant 1/8/1923(RO 1/8/1923).  Off strength:  30/6/1925
Other:  Completed Instructors Vickers Gun Course at S.A. Military School 10/2/1922 (RO 42/1922)

HESOM G.T.F.  Trooper K4986
Attested:  3/10/1918, A Sqn.  Occupation: 310 Boom Street, Pietermaritzburg.  Off strength:  31/12/1919

HESOM N.F. 273
On strength 25/11/1893.  From Dundee.   

HESOM Owen.  Trooper 584. 
Attested 12/2/1899, K sqn.   Occupation : Farmer, Dundee.  Siege of Ladysmith.   Served 29/9/1899 to 31/5/1902.  Off strength 30/6/1903

HESOM Robert.   Trooper 255. 
Born 13 October 1873, Dundee.  Son of George Thomas Hesom, Husband of Ida Bowen.  Educated at Maritzburg College.  Attested 19/7/1893, Band.  Occupation : Manager, George and Son, 313 Prince Alfred St., Pietermaritzburg.   Won first prize for the smartest turnout with the NC in 1896.  Awarded Queens Jubilee Medal 1897.  Promoted Corporal 29/4/1897.  Siege of Ladysmith.  Served 29/9/1899 to 31/5/1902.  Promoted Lance Sergeant 10/5/1903.  Off strength 31/3/1905.  Previous service with 2nd ILH 31/8/1901-30/11/1901

Offline Laverne P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Sunday 13 May 12 23:23 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
My names Laverne. I still new to all this. Not sure if I even have the right Wade family. But have alot of the same names. Any help would be great. From the info i have my Great great not sure how many times is William Marston Wade.

thanks
Laverne

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Monday 14 May 12 16:13 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Roots chat I am sure you will find a deal of information to help your research and plenty of friends along the way First though can you tell us what you know about your William Wade have you any dates or places to help us locate his family for you  :)
Trees

mcmullin.me.uk