Author Topic: MURPHY of Ballincollig, Cork. Census lookup  (Read 4964 times)

Offline dannywh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MURPHY of Ballincollig, Cork. Census lookup
« on: Saturday 06 March 10 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Could sks please help me with my MURPHY problem? I need a look up on the available census for the family of Daniel MURPHY  born c 1819 Ballincollig, Cork. Daniel married a Margaret COTTER (bc 1820 unknown place) around 1840 (no marriage details).

Their children were Jeremiah 1842, Margaret 1843, Ellen 1848, John 1849, Johanna 1855, Michael 1859, and Catherine (?).

I have found Michael MURPHY 1859, who married Hannah CRONIN (born June 1859) in 1879 Cork (source: Ellis Island).

Jeremiah MURPHY 1842 emigrated to Abersychan, Monmouthshire, Wales and married a Julia LANE.

My paternal GGrandmother Ellen MURPHY born 19 Aug 1848, married John HALL (b 1843 Ballinakill, Loughrea, Galway) on 5th Jun 1870 Ballincollig.

I am trying to establish the movements of the other siblings, the fate of the parents, and hopefully siblings of Daniel MURPHY.

Family hearsay has it that Michael MURPHY and Hannah, were preceded to the United States by other family (Uncles?) and that was the reason for them emigrating to Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Any assistance, guidance, and/or ideas would be gratefully accepted.

Regards
Danny

HALL (Co Galway), MURPHY (Ballincollig, Cork), 65th Regiment of Foot

Offline agho

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: MURPHY of Ballincollig, Cork. Census lookup
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 March 10 16:36 GMT (UK) »
the only census available online is the 1911 on the National Archives site, which is too late for your GGgrandparents. The 1901 is at present only available on microfilm but there are plans to put it on line in the first half of this year. However, you will have great difficulty making a connection to your family through the census as Murphy is such a common name. Was your family attached to the army barracks in Ballincollig? If so army records might help. Your best bet are the church records, these are available on microfilm in the National Library, Dublin or if you can wait a while, they are due to be posted online here in the next few months http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/about/aboutprogress.html or pay a visit to the church in B'collig.
For emigration record Ancestry.com may help but information on 19th century records is scant
Good luck with the search.
Burns Scotland/Australia/Cork
Fitzgerald East Cork
Lynch Glanmire/Glounthaune
Walsh Clare/Westmeath
Haskett
Murley Cork

Offline agho

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 March 10 16:56 GMT (UK) »
There is this list of early civil records dating from 1864 but you may not be able to make a connection to your particular family http://myhome.ispdr.net.au/~mgrogan/cork/ballingcollig_b.htm
Fitzgerald East Cork
Walsh Clare/Westmeath
Haskett
Murley Cork

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 March 10 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Danny and welcome

In the 1900 US census there is a Michael (born Oct 1859), Hannah (born June1859), Margaret F (born Feb 1884), Daniel L (born Aug 1885) – all born Ireland. Plus two daughters and one son born in America.

Do you have this? If not send me a PM with an email address.

Ken

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 March 10 20:37 GMT (UK) »
1900 U.S. census is actually available (free) on LDS Pilot site along with lots of other records-
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails;c=1325221
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dannywh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 March 10 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Danny and welcome

In the 1900 US census there is a Michael (born Oct 1859), Hannah (born June1859), Margaret F (born Feb 1884), Daniel L (born Aug 1885) – all born Ireland. Plus two daughters and one son born in America.

Do you have this? If not send me a PM with an email address.

Ken

Thank you Ken. Yes, this is where I got the family members from after finding Michael and Hannah on Ellis Island records.

I have confirmation  that this is "my" Michael Murphy as my GGrand Aunt Mary Ellen HALL married an Edwin MOOR and they "visited" Uncle Michael on their honeymoon in July 1910 (again Ellis Island). Edwin Moor died in Cambridge in 1911 of blood poisoning and is buried at Holy Cross Cemetery, Malden.

This is where it stops though. I cannot find any further info on siblings, or other relations, who preceded Michael to Cambridge.

From NEGHS Vital Records for 1840 - 1910

Michael Murphy b. 3 Apr 1892 in Cambridge, Middlesex, MA. Parents: Michael Murphy and Hannah Cronin.

According to the Cambridge city directories, Michael died 22 Dec 1916. At the time, he was still at 116 1/2 Berkshire as he had been in the 1910 census. Prior to that they had lived a few blocks away at 1 7th street. Hannah, Michael's spouse, is not listed after 1925 but may not have died. Hannah, the daughter aka Anna, remains in the house.

It's likely that Daniel died 6 Apr 1923 - again from the city directory. He was a driver/teamster.

In 1930, Michael F. Murphy, a teamster age 38, is listed in the Boston Sanitarium being treated for tuberculosis. Relation uncertain.

Offline agho

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 March 10 21:09 GMT (UK) »
I presume this was you looking for the same info on Ancestry.com boards? If not there is someone else on the same trail
http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.northam.usa.states.massachusetts.counties.middlesex/5498.1/mb.ashx
Fitzgerald East Cork
Walsh Clare/Westmeath
Haskett
Murley Cork

Offline agho

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 March 10 21:34 GMT (UK) »
I'm afraid you have your work cut out for you trying to locate Daniel Murphy in Ballincollig. A quick glance through Griffith's shows 3 Daniels in Carrigrohane Townland, 1 in Blackader's Lane, B'collig village, 1 in Coolroe Townland, 1 in Curraheen & 1 in Kilnaglory. All these townlands would have been in B'collig parish at the time.
Fitzgerald East Cork
Walsh Clare/Westmeath
Haskett
Murley Cork

Offline dannywh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 March 10 21:49 GMT (UK) »
I'm afraid you have your work cut out for you trying to locate Daniel Murphy in Ballincollig. A quick glance through Griffith's shows 3 Daniels in Carrigrohane Townland, 1 in Blackader's Lane, B'collig village, 1 in Coolroe Townland, 1 in Curraheen & 1 in Kilnaglory. All these townlands would have been in B'collig parish at the time.

The only other info I have is that Daniel MURPHY married Margaret COTTER (around 1840) and that Margaret was not from Ballincollig. As a wedding would have been in the bride's parish, is there any way to whittle these down?