Author Topic: Bryan Carthy drowned 1869 Kingstown:what happened his widow & 4 young children?  (Read 9012 times)

Offline Mrs Dalloway

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bryan Carthy drowned 1869 Kingstown:what happened his widow & 4 young children?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 13 March 10 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Eadaoin,
I've been looking at the maps and trying to find where those cottages might be. It is maddening that those in tenements or living on the edges of society, labouring or working as domestics,  are omitted from directories etc... like they didint exist.  It makes our job a little bit more difficult.

Thanks for taking an interest.
Michelle

Offline annieoburns

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Bryan Carthy drowned 1869 Kingstown:what happened his widow & 4 young children?
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 18 March 10 09:33 GMT (UK) »
I would suggest Dean's Grange as place of burial. It started in 1865 and plots there are for humble folk.  The grave might have been reused after a 20 yr interval and probably no headstone.  But the records there would give details of address etc.  You are lucky you have exact date of death. A telephone call might give you the information.
Wiffen, Utton, Clark, Spires,  Frisby, Raybould, Charlton, Green, (England)
Flood,  Daly, Doran, Mc Kercher, Gardiner, (Ireland/England)
Reid, Burns  (Ireland)
McGourty, Daly (Ireland/America)

Offline Mrs Dalloway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 18 March 10 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Annie - I am afraid I had no success in Deans Grange... but I will go down the cemetery root and take advantage of the information that I have.
 :)
Michelle

Offline flash1dublin

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 20 May 10 05:35 BST (UK) »
Hi

Regarding you're search for 6 Flynns Cottages.

I live in Phibsborough, and the Flynn's Cottages you are looking for still exist but are now derelict (if I'm correct on the location), and they are next to the pub at Cross Guns Bridge.  On the map its the junction of Royal Canal Bank and Phibsborough Road.

A 'Mr Flynn' and family lived in number 6 'Flynn's Cottages' and is listed as a master carrier as his profession on the census form.  There is a great photo of ...believe it or not....'Mr. Flynn's' transport wagons at the canal bridge on the 1911 census webpages.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/exhibition/dublin/waters/L_RoyalCanalD2911.html

This is a very well know area, you can see the chimney of Mountjoy prison in the background.

hope this helps.  very interested in your posting as coincidently I was a county councillor in Dún laoghaire (Kingtown) untill last year

regards

Ruairí

Offline sio59

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 20 May 10 09:37 BST (UK) »
Michelle,

Would these possibly be siblings of Ann? 

From FamilySearch.org

Catherine Carthy b April 1867 Kingstown
Eleanor Carthy b Sept 1865, Kingstown

Parents  Brian Carthy and Margaret Murphy

Siobhan
BEVAN, Cambridge, New York
CORBETT, DUNNE, WILLINGTON, Tipperary
LYNCH, Tipperary, Dublin, New York
CARROLL, Tipperary,  Limerick
CONNERY,ELLIS,GUERIN,HINCHY,HUMPHRIES,McMAHON,SHEEHY,TAYLOR,WELSH/WALSH,  Limerick
CONLISK, DALY, DAVIN, FLANAGAN,  Kilconla, Galway
BROWN, Tyrone
HANNON, MOORE, TOTTEN,  Antrim
McLERNON /McALERNON, CREANEY, DONNELLY ,  Antrim, Down, Armagh

Offline Mrs Dalloway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 20 May 10 15:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ruairi and Siobhan for your posts.  I had run out of leads on this line of the family, but you both have refuelled my interest.  I am honoured that your first post, Ruairi was in connection with the sad Story of Bryan Carthy and his family.  The photo is just wonderful. They could have lived there! I will have to take a trip to Phibsborough and get a photo of the cottages before they are demolished and lost forever. Thanks for that. 
Siobhan, those records could indeed relate to Ann's siblings.  I'll look into it - thanks a million of doing the search and for sending me on the details.  It was just the inspiration I needed.

Many thanks!
Clarissabell

Offline Mrs Dalloway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 20 May 10 15:11 BST (UK) »
Siobhan,
It just occurs to me that Ann had a daughter named  Catherine Daly - Katie as she was known, was my great grandmother... so it is a family name!  Also, she had another daughter named Margaret... so perhaps she was named for Ann's mother... going by your information.  It's looking very hopeful.  I'm very excited about these records.  Thanks!!
CLarissabell

Offline Xotan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Just for clarification regarding Cross Guns Bridge.  Technically, I suppose it is Phibsborough.  It is the double (railway & canal) bridge that takes Prospect Road from Finglas to Phibsboro cross roads. 

I mention this because in the days when I way young there was a branch of the Royal Canal that cut away from the main line and went under the North Circular Road at what used to be Blacquiere *sp???) Bridge.  The canal then ran along the back of Gldsmith street, fed Blessinton street Basin and ended in a terminus at Broadstone Harbour.  This branch is nor a linear park, and there is little to show that there was ever a canal there.

However to be clear, Cross Guns Bridge is next to where the old St. Vincent's Orphanage used to be.

Is there not a possibility that as the death occurred in the Kingstown/Dunlaoighaire harbour that the inquest and death certificate would issue from Rathdrum.  I am not clear that the burial should necessarily have taken place in that area.  Cross Guns might suggest Glasnevin cemetery, which has a good search engine on line.  Here's the URL

http://www.glasnevintrust.ie/genealogy/

Good luck with the search!

David.

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
Bryan Carty Death 1869
Rathdown, not Rathdrum. It's in the BMD index

I don't think the online Glasnevin records go back beyond 1890, but they're on the way

eadaoin
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow