Author Topic: Dawley address  (Read 7857 times)

Offline holmsie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Dawley address
« on: Monday 15 March 10 12:21 GMT (UK) »
On the 1911 census, my granparents lived at Field House King Street Dawley.  I know from a previous post which I have only just seen, that King St still exists, does anyone know if Field House does?

Many thanks

Freda
Holmes Jones Vaughan Perry Melling Brookes Crimin Jepson Paine Trown

Offline Katie Steele

• RootsChat Member
  • G.Grandparents Charles and Elizabeth Steele
    • View Profile
Re: Dawley address
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 March 10 21:14 GMT (UK) »
I don't think it does. I did an address search on king street and couldn't see any named houses on the street just numbers. I also had a look on the old maps and quite a few houses aren't here anymore. A lot older houses still here though

Just to add my g.grandfather lived around the corner at 4 church road on the 1911 census. Maybe they knew each other. Everyone did know each other then, compared to now
Steele - Wellington, Drayton in Hales, Woodseaves - Shropshire <br />Jones - Montgomeryshire (Llanidloes and Llangurig)<br />Ball - Dawley, Shropshire <br />Williams - Dawley<br />Ray/Rea/Reay - Dawley, Shropshire, Bromsgrove, Worcs <br />Evans - Dawley, Horsehay<br />Halford - Dawley, Broseley, More, Clun<br />Harris - Little Wenlock, Birmingham, Feckenham<br />Paterson - Aberdeen<br />Skinner - Aberdeen

Offline holmsie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 March 10 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello Katie
Thank you so much for your search, just one other thing, do you know which school the children would have gone to living at that address?  My mother lived at that house until she was 14, then the family moved to Lancashire because of work I presume, her father worked at Ironbridge

Regards

Freda

Offline sharmar

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandad Woodvine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Hiya, just read your post and I think I might be able to help, does your mother remember anything about the house she lived in?  was it a semi, terrace or detached?  The top half of King Street has a lot of bigger, detached houses still there and I do know of some 'named' houses that don't show up on searches (I know because I live in Dawley and was raised just off King St) Field House does ring a bell perhaps if you look at the census again and tell me how far it is away from one of the pubs ie 'Ring o Bells' I might be able to workout whereabouts it was if its no longer standing.  They did knock alot of houses down but the top half remains pretty much untouched.

In 1911 children had 3 schools to go too - National (church run school), Langley (which I think was first opened as scholarship school and Pool Hill (which as the first to accept everyone).  The first two schools are still going as schools but sadly Pool Hill burnt down in the mid seventies (fantastic looking building, google it, there should be a photo).
Harris(Madeley), Harris(Ironbridge) Woodvine (Dawley & anywhere else), Britton (Broseley), Hoof (Wombridge, Dawley, Shifnal), Perry (Dawley & Wellington, Deakin (Wellington), Humphries (Wombridge & Dawley), Underwood (Hinkshay) Davies (Grinshall area), Buckley (Madeley) Hamphlett (various spellings Madeley).

Offline holmsie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sharmar

Thank you for reply.
Sadly my mum is no longer with us, the only thing I know about the house apart from it saying on the census it had five rooms, I remember my mother saying they kept chickens and pigs, and it had a cricket ground nearby, as my Grandmother used to make ginger beer and sell it to the spectators
I am almost sure it was Langley school she went to, it definately rings a bell.  She used to talk a lot about her life in Shropshire
Regards

Freda

Offline fallenleaves

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 19:35 GMT (UK) »
This sounds like the top end of King street there are few large houses still with a pub called the ring o bells round the corner there is a stretch of land that my children used to  play football on  (perhaps this was also used to play cricket during the summer months) and a church called St Leonards though this  comes under Malinslee ...
Hewett. Alverstoke/gosport,Deptford..  Collier thornaby...

Offline sharmar

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandad Woodvine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Yes it does sound like the top end of King Street, there are several possibilities all with plenty of ground for chickens and pigs.  There is 2 rows of terrace houses but too small to have 5 rooms but they do have large gardens so its possibly one of the smaller detached houses or the larger semi detached (assuming it is still standing)  can you tell me the surname of the neighbours?  I could possible narrow it down a bit more.  I have a feeling that it my be a small detached house next to the pub but I maybe wrong.
Harris(Madeley), Harris(Ironbridge) Woodvine (Dawley & anywhere else), Britton (Broseley), Hoof (Wombridge, Dawley, Shifnal), Perry (Dawley & Wellington, Deakin (Wellington), Humphries (Wombridge & Dawley), Underwood (Hinkshay) Davies (Grinshall area), Buckley (Madeley) Hamphlett (various spellings Madeley).

Offline fallenleaves

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 20:25 GMT (UK) »
This is interesting i have often wondered about these large houses in King street  perhaps Dawley Library might have some info in its reference section on local history .. I think there is a local history society perhaps they may help further too ..
Electoral registers might give a clue also
Hewett. Alverstoke/gosport,Deptford..  Collier thornaby...

Offline holmsie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 March 10 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to Sharmar and Fallenleaves for your information.  How do I find out who lived next door?
I will maybe contact the local history society to see if they have any info.

Thanks again

Freda