Author Topic: Marine Store Dealer  (Read 15977 times)

Offline MUMMYG

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marine Store Dealer
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 23 June 19 20:22 BST (UK) »
Yes a card was an instrument for combing wool. Can't see how it fits though unless he needed another income.

There were 2 explanations for the occupation CARDER A. someone who operated machines that prepared industrial or consumer products for storage or shipment, that might work with his trade
B.  A person who operated a carding machine used to prepare wool and cotton for weaving by removing the knots and tangles. This could also fit with Marine Store dealer as one of their commodities was rope. I didn't come across that actual occupations you mention only in modern terms as in actually dealing playing cards in a game

As an aside, 
Hydrops Ana sarka, also known as Dropsy, is an accumulation of serum in the tissue under the skin, from the blood via the vascular system, which with gravity accumulates usually in the lower legs.
from a too low cardiac output, a reduced urinary excretion or a protein deficiency.

Causes, right heart failure, kidney failure, Protein deficiency: nephrotic syndrome, liver cirrhosis, malabsorption syndrome.

ARNOLD, PARTINGTON, FOSTER in StHelens
BEBBINGTON, FINDLOW in Northwich
BURROWS,Billinge,Northwich
DUMBILL/DUMBELL, Gt Sankey, St Helens
EDMUNDSON in Northumberland, Warrington, St Helens, Manchester
HENDERSON, Northumberland,St Helens
LIPTROTT, Billinge
BURROWS, Billinge, Northwich

BOAST, Suffolk,Widnes,St Helens :-
http://rattyclan.tribalpages.com/

https://sites.google.com/view/ss-samwater

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 23 June 19 20:43 BST (UK) »
As an aside, 
Hydrops Anasarka, also known as Dropsy, is an accumulation of serum in the tissue under the skin, from the blood via the vascular system, which with gravity accumulates usually in the lower legs.
from a too low cardiac output, a reduced urinary excretion or a protein deficiency.

Causes, right heart failure, kidney failure, Protein deficiency: nephrotic syndrome, liver cirrhosis, malabsorption syndrome.

Thanks for that information.  Yes, I had obtained the death certificates for many members of this family and a lot of them seemed to die of Anasarca, from Henry Greenwood 1797-1847, cause of death Dropsy, his son Thomas Greenwood 1817-1873, cause of death Cardiac Bronchitis Anasarca, his other son Hiram Greenwood 1820-1855, cause of death Asthma Anasarca, effusion on brain, his daughter Sarah Greenwood 1824-1858, cause of death Albuminuria. That is three of Henry Greenwood's children all dying of similar diagnoses, and his other children I don't know what they died of because I didn't get the death certificates, and three died in infancy.  Only the two sons, Thomas and Hiram, survived infancy, and of the daughters, Sarah died of Albuminuria, I don't know about Mary because I don't have her death certificate, and I don't know about Jane because she died in America.

It could have been a genetic predisposition, or it could have been a common cause of death in that time and place due to living or working conditions.

Offline MUMMYG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 23 June 19 20:56 BST (UK) »
Very welcome. That's fascinating. Have one or two in my husbands family, kidney problems.

I found the following explanation of Marine Store Dealer: A person who buys and sells used cordage, bunting, rags, timber, metal, etc, sorts waste, repairs and mends sacks.
Perhaps it was translated incorrectly and was meant to be CORD DEALER / CORD PICKER
ARNOLD, PARTINGTON, FOSTER in StHelens
BEBBINGTON, FINDLOW in Northwich
BURROWS,Billinge,Northwich
DUMBILL/DUMBELL, Gt Sankey, St Helens
EDMUNDSON in Northumberland, Warrington, St Helens, Manchester
HENDERSON, Northumberland,St Helens
LIPTROTT, Billinge
BURROWS, Billinge, Northwich

BOAST, Suffolk,Widnes,St Helens :-
http://rattyclan.tribalpages.com/

https://sites.google.com/view/ss-samwater