Author Topic: Dunns in Dumfriesshire  (Read 3363 times)

Offline lorrainec

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Our sun worshipper!
    • View Profile
Dunns in Dumfriesshire
« on: Sunday 25 April 10 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hello.
I am looking for marriage info for William M. Dunn b. 1786 who married Mary? in 1814, in Dumfriesshire.  Unfortunately, that is all the information that I have!

Mary and William had a large family and they resided in Loreburn St. according to the 1841-61 census'.  I can't find them after 1861, so I am assuming they died before 1871.

Anyway, any help on the marriage would be wonderful!
Regards
Lorraine
Clewes - Canada
Humphreys - Surrey, Grenada, Canada
Clark - Scotland

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Dunns in Dumfriesshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 April 10 22:43 BST (UK) »
A copy of their respective death certs will give you their parents names and therefore Mary's maiden name

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 April 10 22:48 BST (UK) »
You have the 1841 census entry which shows a son James aged 12 and a daughter Janet aged 10.  These are submitted IGI entries so proceed with caution!

JAMES DUNN   Christening:  10 AUG 1828   Dumfries, Dumfries   
Father:  WILLIAM DUNN     Mother:  MARY SMITH 

JANET BEEN DUNN   Christening:  26 MAY 1831   Dumfries, Dumfries   
Father:  WILLIAM DUNN    Mother:  MARY SMITH 
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline lorrainec

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Our sun worshipper!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 April 10 02:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you Carole.
I am looking for more information regarding Mary ... ie age so I can get her date of birth.  I was hoping for a parish record or something re the wedding   but now that I think of it ... it probably wouldn't give me her date of birth.  But, it might give me her parents name!

Still looking ...

Regards
Lorraine
Clewes - Canada
Clark - Scotland

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 April 10 09:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Lorraine

I've done some investigations and I believe that you have two different families living in Loreburn Street in the different censuses.

In 1841, William and Mary are there and are given as 55 (i.e. 55-59 because of age rounding in the 1841). William is a stocking maker and, by 1851, is a widower. He does not appear in censuses after that. His death does not appear in the statutory records so it looks as if he died before 1855 and Mary died 1841-1851.

On the 1851, there is also  a Joseph Dunn, cotton weaver, aged 55. with a wife Mary, aged 50. also in Loreburn Street.  These are a different couple. Joseph dies in 1878 and Mary in 1881. Joseph and William might well be related.

I've checked up the son, James's baptism, that Carole found and I can confirm that the OPRs give William Dunn's wife as Mary Smith.

Joseph's wife is a Mary King.

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 April 10 09:26 BST (UK) »
Hi again

A wee bit more

The OPRs are showing the baptism of a William McKnight Dun on 26 Feb 1786, Dumfries. Father is given as James Dun.

There is also the baptism of a Mary Smith on 11 Oct 1783, Dumfries. Father - James Smith

Unfortunately, the Dumfries OPRs don't give mother's name.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline lorrainec

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Our sun worshipper!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 23:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Gadget for all the information!
My dad remembers family stories of an "irregular marriage" between William and Mary and that they had to appear before a court (?) to explain themselves!

Can you tell me what an irregular marriage was and if it would be noted somewhere?
I'm also trying to find the deaths of William and Mary ... again, I have old family notes that William died in 1864 but I can't find it. 

Regards,
Lorraine
Clewes - Canada
Clark - Scotland

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 07:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Lorraine

Here's a bit on irregular marriages:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,284813.msg1682868.html#msg1682868

and

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,284813.msg1682809.html#msg1682809

and

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,227262.msg1202921.html#msg1202921

I think the 'court' that they had to appear in would have been a Kirk Sessions - the minutes of which are recorded and will be available online later this year/early next  :)

I'll have another look for a William's death in 1864.  I don't think I found him on the 1861 though - will check.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 07:38 BST (UK) »
Found him on the 1861 as an inmate at Dumfries Muirheads Hospital -

William Dune, 76, Stocking maker, b, Dumfries

Gadget