Author Topic: Catherine Wishart birth abt 1811  (Read 10355 times)

Offline baltibluebird

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Catherine Wishart birth abt 1811
« on: Friday 30 April 10 16:00 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am looking for the birth of

Catherine WISHART
born abt 1811
Ross & Cromarty
parents are George WISHART and Mary FERGUSON

in the 1851-1871 censuses she always gives her birthplace as Cromarty.

I have her death cert from SP which equates to a birth in approx 1811 which also corresponds to the date of birth given in those censuses give or take one year.

I have been unable to trace any siblings at all so any help would be really great.

Thanks in anticipation ...

Offline Kiko

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Wishart birth abt 1811
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 May 10 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There's no birth registered for a Wishart in SP with parents George and Mary Ferguson (period 1790-1820). Might the Ferguson name be tricky?

There are 2 births in Cromarty (1790-1830) to a George Wishart, but the mother's name is Mary McDonald (?):

Mary b. 22 AUG 1808 in Cromarty
George b. 20 DEC in Cromarty

And more interesting is that there is a Katharine Wishart born to George Wishart and Mary McDonald in Kilmorack, Inverness (9 JUL 1806).

If it wasn't for the "Ferguson", I would suspect your Catherine was born in Kilmorack, the family moved to Cromarty where she grew up, and this would be why she gives Cromarty as her birthplace.

In the 1841 census the only Wishart in R&C is a James, aged 60, Physican. Have you looked for Catherine in the 1841 census?

Cheers,
Francisco
MacLennan/Gairloch
McKay/Descendants of the Blind Piper
Jackson, Strong & Chambers/Northumberland
Mills, Cameron/Falkland Islands
Larsen/Denmark
Larrosa/Argentina & Uruguay

Offline Kiko

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 May 10 19:30 BST (UK) »
Oooops... birth year for George is 1810
MacLennan/Gairloch
Larsen/Denmark

Offline baltibluebird

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 May 10 07:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Kiko

Thanks for your messages.

For you information, the link below is a copy of the death cert of Catherine which shows her parents:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,447642.msg3099990.html#msg3099990

Like you, I am inclined to think that they were actually the family in Kilmorack (Beauly) and indeed in the 1841 census there is a George Wishart who is a cooper (which ties in with his occupation on Catherine's death cert) and his wife Mary.

I am having problems actually finding Catherine in the 1851 census, she is then Catherine McKenzie/MacKenzie and have posted a separate message on the general Scotland board:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,453404.0.html

Could it be possible that the baptism is not recorded or has not yet been uploaded onto SP?

It may be possible, of course, that George Wishart remarried another Mary.

Offline Kiko

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 May 10 15:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The name in your death certificate is definitely Ferguson, but this gives at least 3 possibilities:

A mistake from the informant. This isn't so unusual, I have a few mistakes of this kind in my tree (even when the informant is a close relative). In some cases I don't know where the mistake originated, in others it appears in illegitimate children that sometimes appeared with the supposed father's name and other times with the mother's name.

It could be that Mary married twice. Ferguson and McDonald could then be the maiden name and a married name.

And it could also be that your Mary was a Ferguson and that George Wishart and Mary McDonald are another couple.

I searched SP for the death of a Mary Wishart (other surname McDonald), and none appears (had I found one, this would rule out Mary McDonald as the mother of your Catherine).

Tell me if you have any of the following registers, if you don't have them, I'll try to look for them:

Death of George Wishart (could have his wife's name)

Marriage of Catherine Wishart with the MacKenzie you mention (hopefully parents's names could appear there).

Marriage of George Wishart to Mary Ferguson.

Cheers,
Kiko
MacLennan/Gairloch
Larsen/Denmark

Offline baltibluebird

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 May 10 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Kiko

Thanks very much for all your help!  It really is appreciated as I don't know where to turn.

I have not found a death entry for George Wishart.

I do have a copy of the marriage dated 5 June 1835 between Catherine Wishart and John Peter MacKenzie at Inverness Burgh.

I could not find an entry relating to the marriage between a George Wishart to a Mary Ferguson.  I have repeated the search again today just to see if anything has been recently added, which it hasnt.

Offline Kiko

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'll be renewing my credits in SP some time this week, so I'll keep in touch regarding what I can find.

George Wishart apparently died before 1855, so looks like there is no death register for him. No headstone for him in any of the sites I know; no wills either.

Catherine Wishart's marriage doesn't show her parents?

I do have some ideas to follow once I renew the SP credits, hopefully one of them can give a clue about your family.

Cheers,
Francisco
MacLennan/Gairloch
Larsen/Denmark

Offline baltibluebird

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 16:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just looked at the marriage entry of 1835 again and it just gives their names and addesses and the date of marriage, nothing else.

It is very kind of you to help me!

Offline Kiko

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 14:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Being Wishart quite an uncommon name in the Highlands, I would have expected the search to be easier. But as George must have died before 1855, it isn't.

However, from my side I am quite convinced that the mother of your Catherine is Mary McDonald, and she is the Katharine that was born 9 JUL 1806 in Kilmorack. I looked at the image and it doesn't state George's occupation (I was expecting to find "cooper"), only that birth was at Cruivend.

But then I looked at the image of George Wishart, born to George and Mary McDonald in Cromarty (1810), and here it does state George's occupation as cooper. With so few George Wisharts in the area, plus "cooper", this should be your family.

You would therefore have Catherine's birth + at least 2 siblings (George and Mary).

I hope that eventually you will be able ratify this.

Cheers,
Francisco
MacLennan/Gairloch
Larsen/Denmark