Author Topic: Woolwich, St. Mary Magdalene - 1813 records  (Read 18171 times)

Offline gangus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Woolwich, St. Mary Magdalene - 1813 records
« on: Friday 21 May 10 08:47 BST (UK) »
Can anyone advise what, if any, church records still exist for Saint Mary Magdalene, WOOLWICH circa 1813 please?

I have found the burial of my likely ancestor - Lewis ANGUS bur. 29 Sept 1813, aged 39yrs
It gives his abode as: Bell Watergate

Lewis married 1799 NBL and last confirmed record to date was in HM Tower of London 1811 - ( from an Historical directory).  His wife was Catherine and at least one child John (b. 1800)

I hope to find any further information, e.g. if he was listed in the church records for any other event, christening etc.  This will hopefully confirm or otherwise a 40 year hunt for Lewis's death.

Any guidance appreciated.....

Glenn ANGUS in Australia.
ANGUS HARTLEY HARFORD GIBB SCOTT
Liverpool Newcastle London (HM Tower of London)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Woolwich, St. Mary Magdalene - 1813 records
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 May 10 09:27 BST (UK) »
The following CD/DVD's are available from the North West Kent FHS......

CD-OR138  Woolwich St Mary Magdalene Registers 1670-1799 £8.00
CD-OR139  St Mary Magdalene Baptisms 1800-1857 £8.00
CD-OR140  St Mary Magdalene Baptisms 1857-1905 £8.00 
CD-OR141  St Mary Magdalene Baptisms 1905-88 & other misc. Baptisms 1873-1959 £8.00
CD-OR142  St Mary Magdalene Burials 1680-94 & 1800-89 £8.00 
CD-OR143  St Mary Magdalene Marriages 1754-1864 £8.00 
CD-OR144  St Mary Magdalene Marriages 1864-1964 £8.00 
CD-OR138/44  St Mary Magdalene Set of 7 above £30.00 
DVD-OR32  St Mary Magdalene DVD Version £30.00

You can get these either direct from the NWKFHS at www.nwkfhs.org.uk  or via GenFair or The Parish Chest at similar prices (the latter two would be easier if paying by credit card from abroad).

Incidentally, Bell Watergate still exists - it's a small lane running down to the river, not far from where the Woolwich Ferry terminal is now.  You can find it on Google Maps.   There aren't any dwellings there now.

P.S. I've done a quick scan of baptisms in St Mary, Magdelene between 1773 and 1775, and can find no references to ANGUS.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gangus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 May 10 14:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks for those sources Nick,
Are you able to indicate what information might be contained for an entry in either the Burials 1800-89 and/or the Bapisms 1800-57 ?   I have a copy of the burial info from Ancestry.com showing name, date, approx age etc... curious if the CD  you suggest would have anything further than that info.    The Bap. one might be the best to see if any other of his children recorded therein.... ?

Glenn

Offline nigelo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 May 10 02:40 BST (UK) »
For baptisms you will only get what was on the Parish Register - usually just name parents names and date. If you are lucky you "might" get date of birth and fathers occupation. After Sep 1837 you are better to get the birth certificate, as this will have birth address, mother's maiden name etc. Not likely to get information about other children, other than by searching through around their birth dates.

Much the same for burials. You are almost guaranteed NOT get any information about children on either the parish register OR the death certificate. The only place you would get those would be a memorial inscription, obituary or will.
OSBORNE, WAGHORN, LEDGER, DRURY, SMITHERMAN, TYLER, HUMPHREY, RABBITT, STAPLEY, BATT, WENMAN, SANDS, BUSS, QUINN, GARNETT

Offline gangus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 May 10 03:04 BST (UK) »
< Nigelo >
Thanks for that.... if I could even just get lucky with the parents names I would be very happy..... if my mob that would be positive confirmation of what has taken me close on 40 yrs to resolve....

Only need to check baptisms 1801 - 1814 for St Mary Magdalene.....

Regards

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 May 10 12:31 BST (UK) »
Yes, just to confirm what nigelo said - the baptism record on the CD is no different to the one on Ancestry.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 May 10 15:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

The registers of St Peter Ad Vincula - the parish church for the Tower of London church are still held at the Tower and have not been indexed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Peter_ad_Vincula_(London)

The connection with the Tower and Woolwich would indicate an army connection. In the case of Woolwich particularly but not exclusively with the Royal Artillery.

Woolwich would be about 6/7 miles down the Thames (less but for the meandering of the river) from the Tower. The Tower is on the north of the Thames, Woolwich on the south bank.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gangus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 May 10 15:55 BST (UK) »
Valda,
Thanks for the geographic information, not being familiar with the area it does give some understanding of distances etc.   

I was fortunate many years back to have obtained a certified copy of the baptism entry from the Chapel Royal of St Peter ad Vincula for John ANGUS - 
' John, son of Lewis and Catharine (of the Artillery) born Decr 26th 1800 -  Bapt Feb 8, 1801'

An 1811 document notes Lewis ANGUS as a clerk in the carriage yard Dept... HM Tower
The trick now is to confirm the death I have for a Lewis ANGUS Sept 1813 with the one in 1811... it is most likely one and the same but I am a stickler for ensuring accuracy.  Plus I hope to maybe find other children btwn 1803 & 1813.... always live in hope.

Regards
Glenn in Australia

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 May 10 09:10 BST (UK) »
Hi

Considering the Angus family were therefore at the Tower in February 1801 and you know from a directory they were still there in 1811 any other children they had which were baptised would be in St Peter ad Vincula registers?

'....original volume containing of the baptisms (1587-1821), burials (1550-1821) and marriage (1586-1752) registers of the chapel of St Peter ad Vincula held by the Chapel (includes executed prisoners); Rough register of the Chapel, held in the British Library.'

The Royal Carriage Factory was part of the Arsenal at Woolwich. It arrived there in 1803.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Arsenal
http://www.portcities.org.uk/london/server/show/ConFactFile.90/The-Royal-Arsenal.html

http://www.johnsmilitaryhistory.com/woolwich5.html

The offices of Armoury and Ordnance (Ordnance became the more important) were at the Tower of London. The Royal Artillery along with the Royal Engineers were subdivisions of the Board of Ordnance (which was abolished in 1855 and subsumed into the War Office).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Board_of_Ordnance

You can use the facility 'Get directions' in Google maps to see the distance between the Tower of London and Woolwich arsenal (all Google can now find of the arsenal is the pier - the Arsenal was the triangle behind it)

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en-GB&rlz=1T4HPEA_en-GBGB236GB236&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

http://www.maps-of-london.com/map-woolwich.htm

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk