Author Topic: Fishers in Cheshire/Dublin  (Read 6427 times)

Offline Jim Fisher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fishers in Cheshire/Dublin
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 15:33 BST (UK) »
Over 3 years since your last entry but just wanted to let you know that Nathaniel Fisher although he was in the census as a Catholic was born Church of Ireland/Presbyterian and later converted.

Offline johneff

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 20:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the update.
I see from your other post (Re: joseph lesware 1825) that Nathaniel was the son of Nathaniel Gamble Fisher (born in Londonderry circa 1825 according to the 1901 Census).
To date I have not found any historical connection between our Fishers and Londonderry, so Nathaniel G. most likely came from a different sept.

John.
Fisher (Dublin), Williamson (Co. Tyrone), Lockwood (Fulstone YKS), Poole (Bibury GLS)

Offline Franka Szymborska

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
NATHANIEL GAMBLE FISHER BIRTH AND FAMILY ANCESTORS - ROADBLOCK
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 30 January 24 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I am researching my x2 great grandfather, NATHANIEL GAMBLE FISHER, whom, according to the 1901 census and death record, was born in Londonderry in about 1825 and was a Presbyterian.

Could you advise how I may research to find his birth record?

Here are his details:
NATHANIEL GAMBLE FISHER
Born abt 1825 in Londonderry Town
Religion: Presbyterian (married Emily McDonnell in Dublin in Church of Ireland)
Father: James Fisher
Mother: Unknown
Death: 1901 in Dublin

Any help or suggestions that you can give is most appreciated. I am a descendant of Alice Fisher (NATHANIEL AND EMILY MCDONNELL'S daughter) and Ernest John Lesware.

Kind regards,
Sharon Smillie

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 31 January 24 18:29 GMT (UK) »

...any relation to a Nathaniel Fisher from Dublin. He was born about 1861, married an anne(corcaran i think?), had three daughters Catharine, Mary and Annie, and two sons John and James. They lived in drumcondra area?

...that Nathaniel Fisher although he was in the census as a Catholic was born Church of Ireland/Presbyterian and later converted.

...from your other post (.....) that Nathaniel was the son of Nathaniel Gamble Fisher...

A Nathaniel Fisher, draper's assistant (father Nathaniel, commission agent) married Anne Corcoran on 15 April 1888 at St Lawrence O'Toole RC Church, Dublin.
 https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1888/10767/5926756.pdf

1901 census
House 2 in Drumcondra Road, West Side (Drumcondra, Dublin)
https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Drumcondra/Drumcondra_Road__West_Side/1272263/

1911 census
House 2 in Drumcondra Road Lower (Drumcondra, Dublin)
https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Drumcondra/Drumcondra_Road_Lower/24192/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 01 February 24 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Thank you for your reply.

Nathaniel Gamble Fisher is Nathaniel Fisher's father, I already have his information documented.

I'm having problems finding Nathaniel Gamble Fisher's birth/baptism and parents. Nathaniel Gamble was born abt 1825 in Londonderry. I've pieced together information that he was listed as a Presbyterian on the 1901 Census.

He was also a commissions agent.

I was hoping to find more information from others searching or know of the Presbyterian Church in Londonderry since the record is so old.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 01 February 24 16:41 GMT (UK) »

Here are his details:
NATHANIEL GAMBLE FISHER
Born abt 1825 in Londonderry Town
Religion: Presbyterian (married Emily McDonnell in Dublin in Church of Ireland)
Father: James Fisher
Mother: Unknown
Death: 1901 in Dublin

You're going to struggle finding conclusive evidence in that era on the father James.  For what it's worth, the only Co. Londonderry James Fisher that made it into the tithe applotment books was one in 'Ballyougery', Templemore (1823-1838).  What may be the corresponding 1831 'census' entry shows him head of a family comprising 5 males and 6 females, all Presbyterian:
https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/c19/007246497/007246497_00082.pdf

Ballougry townland:
https://www.townlands.ie/londonderry/north-west-liberties-of-londonderry/templemore/liberties-upper/ballougry/

There was another James Fisher entry in that 'census', in the neighbouring townland of Termonbacca, head of a family comprising 2 males and a female, Protestant but neither Presbyterian nor Church of Ireland.   

You can search and see for yourself here:
https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 12 February 24 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Gaffy, this is a helpful lead.

I will check this out.