Author Topic: national insurance number  (Read 44078 times)

Offline salmynka

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Lucy Fenton
    • View Profile
national insurance number
« on: Thursday 16 September 10 10:44 BST (UK) »
hi, I have my g.grandmothers national insurance number, I have written to dwp and some other departments to try and get any information but to no avail  :(

Its been suggested to me that its possible to work out a year and month of birth from the NI  ??? does anyone know if this is possible and if so how?
ENGLAND Mitchell (London), Walker (Pirton, London & Cornwall) Fenton (Shefield) Simmonite & Rhodes (Yorkshire) Kevern (Cornwall)

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: national insurance number
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 September 10 11:00 BST (UK) »
Wikipedia has a section on the format of numbers - I've skimmed it & there doesn't seem to be anything to back your idea, but as ever it isn't definitive:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Insurance#National_Insurance_number

Offline Chrisann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 September 10 11:51 BST (UK) »
I hope that I'm not quite the same age as your grandmother  :D , but it is impossible to work out my birth date and year from my own nation insurance number. Incidentally, it doesn't seem possible to work out my month of birth from my old style national health number either, although my birth year is part of that, which may just be coincidental. Chrisann
(Staple, Ash next Sandwich, Chillenden, Eastry, Alkham, Shepherdswell) Knowler, Whitnall/Witnal, Laws, Rigden. (Ramsgate, St Lawrence, St Peter, Minster in Thanet, Garlinge)  Lawrence, Spel(l)man/Spillman, Baker, Collins, Cock

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 September 10 12:11 BST (UK) »
Have you tried the NHS Information Centre afterall they seem to be responsible for a lot of persoanl data including the 1939 National Registration

http://www.ic.nhs.uk/
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 September 10 12:16 BST (UK) »
Being a Payroll Administrator I see many NI Nos.  I've noticed that people born in the same year tend to have the same letters at the beginning of their number.  For example if I see anyone with a WM number then chances are they were born early 60s.  But then again people who arrived in the UK from overseas and were allocated a NINO after their 16th birthday don't seem to follow any pattern I can discern.  

However the allocation of initial letters doesn't seem to follow a particular pattern.  For example for most of the 1950 births numbers begin with 'Y' and 'W' series begins around 1958 continuing until 1962 when the 'N' series begins.  'N's end in 1973 and then 'J's begin.  I can't speak for the sort of numbers they would have been issuing around your grandmother's time but if the "pattern" or lack of it from the 1950s onwards is anything to go by, I doubt you can tell much from the number.

The last letter at the end of the number is either A, B, C or D and used to relate to the quarter of the year, but I don't think this applies any more either!

Heather

Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 September 10 12:36 BST (UK) »
Heather

I think you are correct.

On that basis YM is 1950 and YW is 1953.

And LM applied to someone born in 1927.

;D

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 September 10 12:42 BST (UK) »
Heather

I think you are correct.

On that basis YM is 1950 and YW is 1953.

;D

Carol

Hi
Then how come YT is 1954 and my last letter is a D yet I was born at the begining of the year ;) ;) ;)
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 September 10 12:48 BST (UK) »
And I've got one here (not mine) for an Oct.1952 birth that ends in a B  ???
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 September 10 12:49 BST (UK) »
That's explained here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Insurance#National_Insurance_number

D's  ran from Dec of one year(maybe 1953) to Dec of the next(1954 in your case).

Mine is a C suffix,birthday in March  ;D

So we are sure now then that Y's are for us 50's babes  ;)

Carol

ADDED- don't forget that these are issued by government departments,so will naturally be as confusing as possible !
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk