Author Topic: CLIBBORN  (Read 7687 times)

Offline Pam at Valetta

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CLIBBORN
« on: Monday 20 September 10 04:12 BST (UK) »
My Great Grandmother was a Mary CLIBBORN who emigrated to Melbourne, Australia in 1860, aged 28 i.e. she was born about 1832. My Father says she came from Tipperary, Ireland. The only information I have on her is that she was a Presbyterian, her Mother was possibly a Cluff, her sister married a member of the Dublin Metropolitan Police and she possibly had seven brothers who emigrated to America. I would very dearly love to find out more about her. As my Father's first name was Oliver, I am very interested in an Oliver Clibborn who was born in 1894, lived in Whittier, which I think was in Los Angeles ,and died there about 1875 - from memory. He had a son Oliver who died in Seattle, Washington in 2004. From Pam at Valetta. I live in N.Z.

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: CLIBBORN
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 September 10 19:24 BST (UK) »
Hi

Clibborn wasn't a common name in Tipperary.  However, there was a Joseph Clibborn who married a Margaret Harvey in 1840 and this couple seem to have had a large family.  Children born in Clonmel, Tipperary include:-

Mary Harvey b 1841, Elizabeth Mary b 1842, Rebecca Harvey b 1843, Thomas Harvey b 1845, Charles Edward b 1846, Susanna b 1847, Frederick b 1850, Barclay Joseph b 1851 and William Goff Clibborn b 1859.

Do any of these names sound familiar?

Cheers

Offline Pam at Valetta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 October 10 00:59 BST (UK) »
HI,
Thank you so much for your comments on the CLIBBORN family name. I am aware that there was quite a few Clibborn families over the years in Clonmel, but so far have never been able to access all the family trees that may be available. I do have a Rob Clibborn living quite near to us and he has a tree back many hundreds of year that originated in Clonmel but my Mary is not on it. They were a fairly monied family as the original Mr. Clibborn married the daughter of a large textile/woollen mill in Clonmel. My Mary was born around 1832, so she was a bit early for the family you mentioned, but thank you very much for advising me. Maybe one day she may turn up on a tree from Clonmel, who knows.
Regards, Pam. 

Offline TLB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 10:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam, the Clibborn family in Clonmel were well known Quakers and involved in the corn milling and I believe cotton industry, I think they married into the Grubb(?) family who were involved in the Anney Mills/ Anney House,  which from memory is not actually in Clonmel but out towards Fethard or Marlfield, I am not sure which. There is quite a few Clibborns buried in the Quaker cemetery in Albert St, Clonmel and it may be worth having a look at the records, if you have not already done so.
I'll see if I can find out more for you.
Tony
Byrne, Whelan, Sweeney. Marlfield & Clonmel
Cullen,  Breen.  New Ross
Hambrook, Essex
Broughton, London
Cole, London
Mills, London

Offline Pam at Valetta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 October 10 05:38 BST (UK) »
 Tony, thank you so much for such an informative email. I will certainly do my best to see the monumental inscriptions for the cemetery in Clonmel. I knew a Clibborn had married a daughter of the Grubb family who owned the Anner Mills. The MI's must surely be indexed somewhere. It's just amazing how good all you people are giving me information on my families and ways to find them. I never realised, when I joined Rootschat a few weeks ago, that this would happen.
Regards, Pam. I'd love to know where you all lived worldwide. I live in N.Z.

Offline TLB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 October 10 12:14 BST (UK) »
Pam,
I don't know if this helps, I came across a page in the Ireland Genealogy Archives which appears to relate to some work done by the Society of Friends and one of the items states:

Elisabeth Grubb of Anner Mill, daughter of John & Sarah Grubb married a John Barclay Clibborn, date of marriage is not shown.
John & Sarah Grubb were the owners of Anner Mill and a wealthy family, when Sarah died in 1832 she left an estimated fortune of £100,000.
John Barclay Clibborn is possibly the Mr Clibborn you are looking for and possibly the father to Mary.
Looking at the records for The Quakers Cemetery in Clonmel it looks as if Elisabeth died in 1861  and John in 1850, they possibly had some children who are also mentioned. The Anner Mill is I think located on the River Anner, but for the life of me, I cannot remember where it is, I think it is to the east of Clonmel and is a tributary of the River Suir.
I 'll do some more digging and once I establish which townland it is I'll let you know.
Tony
Hambrook, Essex
Broughton, London
Cole, London
Mills, London

Offline Pam at Valetta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 October 10 03:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you once again, Tony.
I'll await your recearching results with great interest. It's all quite exciting this end. Mary was a Presbyterian - is that similar to a Quaker?
Cheers, Pam.

Offline TLB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 October 10 12:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam,
I think I may possibly have tracked down Anner House, it appears Anner Mills was demolished and Anner House rebuilt in its place, the only problem is the name Anner House appears in 3 different locations around Clonmel, but I think I know which one was owned by the Grubb family.
I was brought up in Clonmel, but now live in England, but I still have relations living there and have spoken to them, this morning and they are checking exact location  for me. As soon as I hear anything I will let you know.
By the way I had completely forgotten and it was only talking to my cousin this morning  she reminded me that our family originally lived in Albert street, right next door to the Quaker Cemetery.
I think some Quakers may have described themselves as Presbyterians and without looking at the census I believe there are still some Clibborns, in Clonmel who are shown as Presbyterian, I 'll check

I see you live in NZ and you may be able to point me in the right direction as I have a problem researching my wife's side of the family who come from New Ross Co Wexford.
Her great grandmother whose name was Annie Cullen ( nee Breen ) dob around 1863 was left in Ireland when her parents had to get out of Ireland  ( they witnessed a political shooting) and the emigrated to NZ. We have no details of their names  all we know is they had a string of bakers shops somewhere in NZ. An impossible task I know but do you have any ideas as where we could start looking.
Thanks
Tony
Hambrook, Essex
Broughton, London
Cole, London
Mills, London

Offline Pam at Valetta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 October 10 01:31 BST (UK) »

Tony, Thank you once again for your help. Dad thought that Mary's Father died before she emigrated to Aust. in 1860 and then on to N.Z. in 1863. Her Mother must have still been alive when she left. Dad thought her maiden name was Cluff.

Mary had a sister who married a Dublin Metropolitan Policeman with possibly the name Clark - Dad was not at all sure of that either. I have checked the 1845 on Prot. marrs. but no Clibborn/Clark one. The Policemen's files do not have any details of their marrs. unfortunately.

I will happily check out the Cullen's for you. I am a member of the N.Z. Soc. of Genealogists so will check out their indexes. There has been a great surge in indexing in the last few years just as there has been in your part of the world. By the way where do you live? Have you any idea when the family left for N.Z. and the parents and children's names? The shipping records will give me all these details. And then on to directories. It's all quite exciting to me. They should't be too hard to locate, just give me time.

Regards, Pam.

Regards, Pam.