Author Topic: Toys/Tighes  (Read 8820 times)

Offline AHarney

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Toys/Tighes
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 06 February 11 16:26 GMT (UK) »
I believe Peter Floody was the son of Patrick Floody of Co. Monaghan Ireland.
See http://ahd.exis.net/monaghan/floody.htm
Peter married Margaret Tighe in Broxburn, near Edinburgh, and emigrated to Chile. 

I would love to learn more about the Floody/Tighe connections in Chile, especially the long sea voyage that they must have endured!

I have also posted on the genforum floody page, and communicated with John Rice. He found Peter some years ago. Strangely I have a 1st cousin 2x who married Edward Toye in Rhode Island US. Small world!

Regards,
A. Harney

McGeough, Connolly ~ Floody, Smyth: Co. Monaghan Ireland
Lowry, Morris: Selby, West Riding, Yorkshire, England

Offline meara

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 12:05 GMT (UK) »
I'm afraid I still don't know much about what happened in Chile,some journey too, considering some of them travelled back to Scotland and back again.All will be revealed eventually...Meara
Toy/Tighe,Coatbridge and Chile.Delargy and Hendry,Antrim and Airdrie.Doona,Meara and Moriarty,Co. Kerry.

Offline AHarney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Toys/Tighes/ Floody
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 24 April 11 15:18 BST (UK) »
On a new to me website CWG gravesite pictures:

http://www.twgpp.org/index.php
Commonwealth War Graves Photo Project...

Search on Floody returned the following:

http://www.twgpp.org/information.php?id=768550

John Floody
25/02/40 Aged 28 Panel 24. Son of Peter and Margaret Floody.  [TIGHE?]

Thomas Henry Floody is a known ancestor. He was the son of the brother of Peter - Denis in Newcastle.

http://ahd.exis.net/monaghan/floody.htm

Lots of Tighe's, Toye's and Toy's listed.
One Joseph Tighe
28th July 1918. Age 19. Son of Thomas and Margaret Tighe of Hawthorn Cottage Broxburn West Lothian. III. B. 5.

HTH,
Ann

Offline meara

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 09:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Ann.My granduncle was also Joseph Tighe and died at the Somme in 1916,first cousin to Joseph who died in 1918.So although John Floody was born in Chile [I think]he's on the Memorial in London.Still looking for info on Chile...Meara
Toy/Tighe,Coatbridge and Chile.Delargy and Hendry,Antrim and Airdrie.Doona,Meara and Moriarty,Co. Kerry.

Offline meara

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 13:52 BST (UK) »
Ann,    Margaret Tighe Floody's brothers,John and Thomas were the fathers of the two Josephs.

Offline MacTuile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 03 June 11 01:34 BST (UK) »
Hello :I·m a new member of rootschat.English is not my native language,so excuse the  mispellings and errors.I have a direct  conection with the Tighe and Floody families in Chile.My GGrandmother was Margaret (maggie) Tighe Mullen and my GGrand father was Peter Floody  ?.They arrived to Chile in the late 1888 or early 1889.,along with Patrick and William Tighe ,brothers of Margaret.They settled down in southern Chile at the village of Ercilla in the Araucanía region.                                                                                                Warmest regards.

Offline MacTuile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 03 June 11 04:24 BST (UK) »
Hello: back again  with Tighe family in Chile.I think to this point that it is useful a little bit of history  .By 1850 the Chilean government   was making a great effort to populate a vast area in the south of the country which was virtually inhabited,and known as the "frontier".For this purpose there were immigration offices throughout Europe and also in the British Isles,so i guess that the family heard about this opportunity to seek new horizons  and finally made up their mind and took the trip to the "end of the world".The great majority of immigrants were Germans,Swiss,French,Irish ,Scottish ,English,and many other European minorities.Upon their arrival each family were given land to work as farmers along with the tools and supplies to start their living.most of them succedeed and within a few years their lives impproved a lot.On the other hand a few of them for various reasons didn't make it  or decided to re-emigrate.the Tighe family ,that is Patrick,William,Margaret and her husband Peter Floody had a beautifull and prosperous farm of some 300 hectares named "Caledonia" located 5 miles    from the village where they lived
About other members of the family that some of you mention,I have no records up to now but trying to find out.In my opinion if they came to Chile along with the others,they definitively came back to Scotland ,ireland or some other countries for unknown reasons,for I'm certain that they did not   stay in this area or even in the surroundings.                                                                                                                            In my next post I will continue this sort of story and be very happy to share with you all this fascinating trip to the past.                                 Best Regards                           

Offline AHarney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 03 June 11 12:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for the story. It is exciting to learn about the Chilean branch of this family! That was a great bit of faith to travel so far in those early times!

Can you tell us of the family born to Peter and Margaret?  And with whom we are corresponding! Your English is great - no errors at all.

Slainte!
Ann Harney

Offline MJAFLOODY

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Meara! How Are you? My G.G. grandfather was  Peter Floody who was married to Margaret Tighe. I have the following information: They came to Chile on September 17th 1888 on a Ship named "Aconcagua" She was 19 years old an he 23.  They arrived to Talcahuano and then went to Ercilla where they have some lands asignated. Im going to find out a little more so i can tell you the whole story. Also i wanted to ask you about our ancestors in Scotland.
Best Regards from Chile

Maria

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.