Author Topic: Walsh and O'Connor in Tarbert about 1830  (Read 7952 times)

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Walsh and O'Connor in Tarbert about 1830
« on: Tuesday 12 October 10 07:18 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for details of Patrick Walsh, a labourer born about 1811 who married Mary O'Connor / O'Connell in the late 1830s, had the first of their children in Ireland and soon after moved to the Channel Islands. According to his death certificate Patrick's parents were William Walsh and Ellen O'Brien. I think Patrick's brother Michael went with them to Alderney. Both Patrick and Mary died on Guerney in the 1870s.

I have found some references to the family's links with Tarbert  and also with Limerick - such broad possibilities that its hard to know where to start. There are quite a few O'Connors and Walshs in the Tarbert area in the Griffiths valuation.  When visiting from Australia I spent a few days in the Dublin library looking at microfilms with no luck, so I'm hoping that someone has been looking for the same connections.  Any suggestionswould be greatly appreciated!
Walsh family - Listowel, Kerry; Alderney, Guernsey,  Adelaide Melbourne, New York Texas
Hall family - Toberhewney, Lurgan; Derryhoar, Tyrone; Melbourne, Australia, Quin, Clare
Downes family - Cahermurphy, Kilmihil, Clare, Adelaide Australia
Neville family - Shanagolden, Limerick, Dandenong, Victoria, Australia
Hanora Barrett - Shanagolden, Limerick, Geelong and Dandenong, Victoria, Australia

Lawry family - St Austell, Cornwall, Tasmania, Kalgoorlie, Riddells Creek Australia

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Walsh and O'Connor in Tarbert about 1830
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 11:19 BST (UK) »
Tarbert, Co. Kerry is very close to the Co. Limerick border - about 2km

As you've already seen, the surnames are quite common, and O'Connor is especially common in Co. Kerry.

Do you know the family religion ?

The RC records for the area of Tarbert (RC Parish Kilnaughten) only seem to go back to about 1859, but it might be worth checking the IrishGenealogy website for neighbouring parishes (e.g. Moyvane, Listowel, Ballylongford..)  see: www.irishgenealogy.ie  Another option may be to check the nearby Co. Limerick parishes - but these are not included in the IrishGenealogy website.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 October 10 10:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply and suggestions. The family was Catholic.
I can hardly believe it but after only 2 minutes on the site you suggested I found Patrick and two siblings in Listowel !!
THANK YOU!!!
Cheers,
Walsh family - Listowel, Kerry; Alderney, Guernsey,  Adelaide Melbourne, New York Texas
Hall family - Toberhewney, Lurgan; Derryhoar, Tyrone; Melbourne, Australia, Quin, Clare
Hanora Barrett - Shanagolden, Limerick, Geelong and Dandenong, Victoria, Australia

Lawry family - St Austell, Cornwall, Tasmania, Kalgoorlie, Riddells Creek Australia

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Walsh and O'Connor in Kerry or Limerick about 1830
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 October 10 23:58 BST (UK) »
Hello again,
After finding Patrick and his brothers in Listowel (parents William Walsh and Eleanor O'Brien)  I'm now looking for Patricks's marriage to Mary O'Connor / O'Connell around 1837 . As there is nothing on the irishgenealogy site can you suggest a good site for Catholic Limerick records?

Thank you

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 October 10 11:09 BST (UK) »
The only website that has Co. Limerick parish records online at the moment that I know of, is the pay-website of the Irish Family History Foundation - see : http://www.rootsireland.ie/

Check the list of sources to make sure the parish you need is included.

There are good RC parish maps on the Irish Times website
   RC Parishes, Co. Limerick - West
   RC Parishes, Co. Limerick - East

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Walsh and O'Connor in Kerry and Limerick about 1830
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 October 10 13:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the tip - I'll get onto it straight away!
(You were such a great help last time :) )

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 03:09 BST (UK) »
No luck  - I'll have to leave the O'Connors until another piece of information comes to light (like a marriage certificate from the mid 1830s, highly unlikely I would think!)

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Walsh and O'Connor in Listowel, c 1830
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 September 12 12:54 BST (UK) »
Can someone tell me if there are any listowel catholic parish records in dublin, or are all the remaining ones available online?
Thanks

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 September 12 13:01 BST (UK) »
The Listowel films in the NLI cover baptisms from 1802, which seems to match the details on the IrishGenealogy website.

The films cover marriages back to 1837, and the website has some before this. The number of marriage seems a little low, although details appear for all decades of the 1800s.

there are gaps in both the marriages and baptisms - see : Listowel RC records

Shane
My Surname Interests