Author Topic: Re: Ringsend MAP  (Read 14141 times)

Offline little alison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ringsend MAP
« on: Wednesday 20 October 10 18:19 BST (UK) »
Still wanted - a map that shows Ringsend 1870-1895.........yes. I now know it is outside the city boundary, and that is why all the Dublin maps cut off before Ringsend - can anyone help? Alison
LITTLE - Lancs, Cheshire. Dumbarton, Dublin and Glasgow - and South Africa. Also Canada

PRICE, ALLEN, JONES, JACKSON - Gwersyllt and Wrexham

ANDREWS, DOWSE, MEMERY - Dublin, US, and Canada

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: DUBLIN MAPS
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 18:22 BST (UK) »
The OSI maps show all of Ireland including Ringsend. The 25" edition is dated c1890 - see : Glass Works, Thorncastle Street, Ringsend 

press 8 to see the correct map - the red cross at the centre of the map should be right on the works when the page loads up.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 18:31 BST (UK) »
See this c1880 map for a slightly earlier view of the area :

North County Dublin

The map is in Google format and allows the usual scrolling and zoom functions. Ringsend is south county Dublin , but the map also cover Dublin Port area and Ringsend

The Bottle works do not seem to be present at that time..

see an extract of the Ringsend area below .. I've had to reduce the size a little to fit this page, the original zooms in to show a larger image.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline little alison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 19:00 BST (UK) »
Wow, what a speedy answer!
I've had a good look at the original map and on this smaller one, right on the bottom edge, is a bulge that is labelled Glassworks on the bigger one - by my reckoning this is the Ringsend Bottle Works, on Fitzwilliam Quay.
On Charlotte Quay there should be the Irish Glass Bottle Works at this date? No sign of it, I am puzzled. I have no other address in this era.
I also had a look at North Lotts (says just Lotts here) but it is jam full of buildings so I can't see the Dublin Bottle Works.
I have been doing a lot of reserach and I reckon my ggfather worked at the RBW, then the IGBW, then ran the Hibernian Bottle works which opened later. He went bankrupt.
                          Many thanks, Alison
LITTLE - Lancs, Cheshire. Dumbarton, Dublin and Glasgow - and South Africa. Also Canada

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 19:07 BST (UK) »
North Lotts is in the City centre and a built up area. Industry like Glass works are usually located on the outskirts of the city or sometimes in the port area. Maybe the North Lotts address was an office or warehouse ?

what year were you expecting to find the glass works on Charlotte Quay ?

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline little alison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ringsend MAP
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 19:11 BST (UK) »
Didn't see your first (second?) post!
That's the Hibernian Bottle Works, on Thorncastle Street
                  - thanks again - Alison

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 19:12 BST (UK) »
there is a glass works shown on Charlotte Quay on the 1890s map - see Glassworks, Charlotte Quay

It's not present on the 1880s map

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline little alison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 19:22 BST (UK) »
I have found records of the Irish Glass Bottle Works from 1871 to 1901 in the Dublin paper online - I know it went on - but no other address in my findings. I may have missed something, and will check. I did find a mention that it did move, but no idea where - or when!

Again, the only address I have seen for the Dublin Glass Bottle Co. is North Lotts, no other area. Possibly it was an office, but usually this is indicated?

However, now I know which bottle works is in the old photo I found of Ringsend - I didn't record where I found it, but it shows the bridge over  the Dodder looking upstream, with a bottle cone visible over other buildings........that's the Ringsend Bottle Works.
                           Thanks again - Alison

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 19:30 BST (UK) »
I think the glass works is shown on the 1880s map... but not labelled. Three of the structures shown on the 1890s map are also present in 1880 - see extract below. Compare these to the buildings on the same site on the 1890s map

The works is listed under two addresses in Thom's 1879, Ringsend Road, which runs just to the south of it, and also under Charlotte quay, which runs to the north.

The Irish Glass Bottle Co., Ringsend Road
    J.A. & R. King - proprietors

The same details appear in the 1872 edition.

Ringsend road leads to the bridge which goes east towards the village.

Shane
My Surname Interests