Author Topic: Struck by a train in Thursford  (Read 6587 times)

Offline DUREAY

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Struck by a train in Thursford
« on: Monday 01 November 10 00:48 GMT (UK) »
My 2x Great Grandfather, George Cook/e BROWN/E, was "accidentally" killed by a train in 1890 at Thursford Norfolk. Would the local newspapers have reported on this? DUREAY

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Struck by a train in Thursford
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 November 10 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dureay

The papers might have reported on this death.  Do you have a more specific date?  I've done a quick search on Norfolk papers of the time and although there are lots of accidents mentioned, I couldn't find any with a George Cooke/Browne, or Thursford, Norfolk mentioned.

Lizzie

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 November 10 17:19 GMT (UK) »
For a start, get a copy of the death certificate if you do not already have it, this will give date of death, and confirm the facts, if he did die in this manner there will have been an inquest, and the certificate will have been issued on the instruction of the coroner. Inquest reports are unlikely to have survuived, but there are normally comprehensive and harrowing reports in local newspapers in this period.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 November 10 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Death entry from Freebmd
September 1/4 1890 Walsingham 4b.173
George Cook Brown aged 70
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DUREAY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 November 10 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to you all for replying. George Cook/e Brown/e died on the 6th August 1890 age 70. On his death certificate he was accidentally struck by a train passing on the Eastern & Midlands Railway in Thursford. The informant was the coroner who held an inquest on the 7th August 1890. George was a farm labourer and was born in Gunthorpe where he lived most of his life. Would like to try and find any newspapers who may have  reported the incident. DUREAY

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Dureay

I've searched through 19th Century newspapers on line (courtesy of my library card) but although there are dozens of reports of railway accidents at home and abroad, there are none relating to your man.  Sorry.

Lizzie

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Does the certificate say where the inquest was held, or (it must) give the name of the coroner? Once we know this we can establish where the inquest was held, and hopefully find the newspaper report that way. Coroners' reports may be deposited in the local archive, but it is voluntary. When they are deposited the record is closed for 75 years, so if it exists therte would be no problem.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline DUREAY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, thanks for taking time to help with my quest. George`s death certificate was received from, Walter M. BARTON, coroner for the Duchy of Lancaster in Norfolk. DUREAY

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Suggest you try the Norfolk Chronicle or Bury and Norwich Post.