Author Topic: FEWELL Family  (Read 82263 times)

Offline essexbird2004

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: FEWELL Family
« Reply #171 on: Thursday 04 January 07 04:15 GMT (UK) »
HI All Happy New Year
Hope you all a a great Christmas!

Just been reading over the Fewell board and i have a bit of info that may or may not throw a spanner in the works of finding William (aka Houdini) Fewell

Now way back i said i thought that our William Fewell died in 1812 aged 83 this i now believe is incorrect.
According to the National Burial Index (NBI) that William was buried at Great Dunmow.

I have however found a William Fewell buried at Great Waltham 22/08/1822 aged 81 which makes his estimated birth Year of 1741 now this is a more likely candiate for our William..

We know from his Grandaughters baptism records at Moreton that William and Mary/Margaret were alive in 1810 and the record states he is in Great Waltham at that time.

That gives us at least 2 candidates so far

William Fewel Bap. 27.04.1740 Takeley Son of Thomas & Elizabeth Judd?
William Fuell Bap 21.11.1737 Takeley Son of Philip & Ann(e) Judd?

Are there anymore candidates that you know of??
And also how come when we have checked the Gt Waltham Burial Index did we not come accross this William?
Does the parish record give anymore info than the NBI?
I think we need to check it again!

Also we need to try and get in touch with Trevor Mills about the tree his father put together

Robert Fewell from Suffolk? M. April 1581
Giles Fewell from born 1582 Suffolk?
Daniel Fewell from Thaxted
Daniel Fewell from Thaxted
John Fewell M. Elizabeth Green c1707 Dunmow
Philip Fewell M. Ann(e) Judd 26.12.1736 Takeley

I'd love to know how he came to this conclusion, not saying it's wrong just want to confirm it as much as possible.

I still have the Barnston Fiche to check (just havn't got round to it yet)

What do you all think

Kath x

FEWELL - FEWEL - FUELL -  FUEL ALL AREAS
KENNAIRD - KENNARD - BANCE OF KENT & SUSSEX
DOWNES - TWIN - CHILDS OF ESSEX
DANCE - BROWN OF LONDON
PEARCE - FURZELAND - PARSONS OF SOMERSET
CLARKE - GILOOLLY OF PERTHSHIRE
McHUGH-McHUE-McCUE - GILOOLLY OF IRELAND

Offline Susie1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: Thursday 04 January 07 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kath
I see now you are considering William Fewel Bap. 27.04.1740 Takeley Son of Thomas & Elizabeth Judd.  I still think that his brother John may be our John that married Elizabeth Lanham.  Do you know if their other brother Thomas is the one that married Sarah Bacon?
Sue
Bell - London, Dorset & Somerset
Bridge, Crow, Fewell, Prior - Essex
Cane - London & Portsmouth
Hunter - London
McLeod - Scotland, Helmsdale & Wick

Offline essexbird2004

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: Friday 05 January 07 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue

Am not considering either of them yet mate there must be more William Fewell's born in that period (all the better tho if these are the only two)

William son of Thomas and Elizabeth is a closer date fit but as you know that means chuff all with our lot as they weren't an educated lot  ;D

I would say it is equal between the both until we can prove otherwise.

Does anyone know if there were any more Williams born circa 1840 +/- 5 yrs in Dunmow,Thaxted,Gt Canfield,Gt Waltham,Gt Easton ( i do hope not).

As for John Fewell, i know nothing nor whom he married or who he belongs to mate sorry. I've been leaving that one for you hun haha.

I take it William & Thomas son's of Thomas and Elizabeth Judd had more siblings then? as you are speaking about a John Fewell

and did William son of Philip And Ann(e) Judd have any other siblings apart from Millicent?

I can see why it's likely to think our William is son of Philip and Ann because of the Milly/Millicent connection however if you take a look at the Takeley Records it seems that Millicent is a name that crops up more than once so is not unusually uncommon.

I just wondered what you thought?

Also what would be extremely useful to find out is about Margaret Fewell (Twin)

Great Waltham parish records need to be checked again
Do you know anyone that has them on fiche?
Kath x
DANCE - BROWN OF LONDON

Offline Susie1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: Friday 05 January 07 06:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kath
All I have found for Thomas Fewel Elizabeth Judd is William & Thomas bap 27/4/1740 & John bap 3/10/1742.  Whether William & Thomas were twins or just both baptised on the same day It dosn't say.  They married 20/07/1735, so could be either.

William son of Philip And Ann(e) Judd have any other siblings apart from Millicent?
  This bit has confused me lol

Phillip Fuell & Ann Judd m 26/12/1736 had William bap 21/11/1737 & Susanna bap 24/08/1740.  Then later on there was Millicent bap 13/01/1754 dau of  Phillip & Anne Fuell, which I assume was the same couple, although there is a big gap between Susanna & Millicent.  But I havn't as yet found a Millicent for a William!! 

As for the name Twin, the only time I see it is when it states that two people were Twins.
Sue

Hunter - London

Offline Susie1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: Friday 05 January 07 06:50 GMT (UK) »
Kath
Forgot to say on the last message.  You mention in your list from Trevor Mills two Daniels Thaxted.
There were two Daniels mentioned in the early records of Takeley. Maybe these are the Daniels Trevor Mills is referring too. Maybe they came from Thaxted, it dosn't say on the Takeley records.

Daniel  ffewel bap 21 Nov 1670 son of William.

Hester bap 6 Dec 1672, John bap 7 Aug 1681, William bap 21 April 1686, daughter bap 9 Mar 1689 & James bap 29 July 1695 all children of Daniel ffewel.

I wondered if the Daniel that had these children, was the Daniel son of William, maybe baptised when or just before he married.  The John ffewel  went on to have a daughter Elizabeth (I think) maybe this was also his wife's name.  There was also a Johannah ffewell that married ffrances Bright in 1700. She may have been a sister to Daniel.

Has anybody found any removal orders this early on??

Sue
Hunter - London

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: Friday 05 January 07 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kath & Susie,
Originally, when I found the William of William & Hannah bap 5 Feb 1744 at Felsted I thought that's him, the husband of Margaret Twin.  I was a bit concerned that the family moved to parts unknown but I reasoned that William 1744 may have had family connections in Felsted, making it easy for him to return there.
I would like to find other children of William & Hannah, I had hoped I might get lucky during my searches of various PRs at the ERO last year but nothing turned up :(

Then along came Trevor Mills with his info.  That William (1737) having a sister named Millicent and a recommendation from the Rev Mills, tipped the scales in my mind toward him.  The problem I have with this William is that if he married Margaret Twin, I would expect them to use the names Philip and Ann, or at least one of the those names.

Checking out the Rev Mills info in the Takeley online transcripts I came across William of Thomas & Elizabeth bap 27 Apr 1740.  Although William & Margaret didn't name a son Thomas, I don't think at this stage I would like to rule this William out.

In fact I don't think I would rule any of the three out at this stage, like you both, I would dearly love to hear from Trevor Mills.  As you state Kath it's not that I doubt the info but I would like to know what convinced the Rev Mills that William of Philip and Ann is the William who married Margaret Twin.  A while back Middle Englander said he would contact Trevor Mills again and find out the score.  As we haven't heard anything from M E I assume Trevor hasn't got into his father's computer yet.

If the family of William Fuell (Juell) & Elizabeth Green who married at Takeley 7 Dec 1761 could be found, the children's names might provide a clue to which of the three Williams married Elizabeth Green.  Although I think it is unlikely to be the 1744 William, unless born earlier than the year of his baptism he would only be a 17 year old in 1761.

Kath, I have details of five children of Henry & Margaret Twin all baptised at Felsted, including Margaret baptised 29 Oct 1738.  If they will be of use to you let me know and I'll post, PM or email them, which ever you prefer.

Very interesting that William Fewell burial you mentioned, 1741 puts him closest to William of Thomas & Elizabeth.  Did you find any female Fewell burials at Gt Waltham?  A Margaret (or some other first name) Fewell wife of William, could define whether the William buried 1822 could be our William.

Regards.

Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Susie1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: Friday 05 January 07 08:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Findem
The only children I have found for William Fuell & Elizabeth Green are John bap 23 Jan 2769 and Elizabeth bap 21 April 1771.   Witnesses to William & Elizabeth Green's marriage William Pool & Philemon Fuell.
Sue
Hunter - London

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: Friday 05 January 07 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue,
Thanks for that info.

Wouldn't it be great if these families had all their children in one place  :)

Regards.
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline essexbird2004

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: Friday 05 January 07 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Sorry to confuse you Sue. I meant did Philip and Ann have anymore children apart from William & Thomas and Millicent lol

As for Margaret Fewell she's more bleeding alusive than William. And she could possibly be a Mary according to the Baptism of her Grandaughter Anne in 1810.

I feel like giving up!!

Kath x
DANCE - BROWN OF LONDON