Author Topic: David Thomson  (Read 3303 times)

Offline vvbg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David Thomson
« on: Monday 08 November 10 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Looking for David Thomson born in Aberdeen on 14th.September 1879.
Mother was Charlotte Wilson, father David Thomson.

Davids parents 'eloped' from Edinburgh where David Thomson senior had a
family he left behind and for whatever reason didn't divorce.
Charlotte was a single lady and housekeeper for her father before
she went to live in Park Lane Aberdeen.
I have a census record of David aged 2 in 1881, but nothing
after this.

David senior died in St. Nicholas parish in 1883 and Charlotte lived at the same address with another son James Wilson born 1881 but David Thomson was not the father.
Charlotte died in 1922 but cannot find any other record of her son David Thomson.
I've checked all the death records of children called David Thomson between 1881 & 1891 without any luck.
I wondered if it was possible he was adopted by another family member or if he would have been put into a workhouse if his mother couldn't cope with two small children?

Does anyone know of any poorhouse/workhouse records after 1881 i could look at.

Cheers
Marie

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Thomson
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 December 12 18:21 GMT (UK) »
I'll add this although it is a long shot but one never knows, as children sometimes remember where they grew up and not always know or are told where they were born....
This lad was born Forfarshire on that same day...but the year is not the same. I imagine cross referencing to births and census might eliminate him for you...but I have access to neither...
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-119.01-e.php?&id_nbr=263840&interval=27&&PHPSESSID=4l18p6o2mb7lvilskjdke2c0r6
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Thomson
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 March 13 20:19 GMT (UK) »
There is yet another thread on which progress was made, he was found with his mother's surname, then a descendant answers from the U.S. as he emigrated 1908 http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,513911.0.html
vvbg just use the search above with keywords to find your existing threads and add to them, as someone could duplicate time & resources looking for all again......

This one is completed and closed
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com