Author Topic: David Howell, born abt 1835 Llannon  (Read 4783 times)

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Howell, born abt 1835 Llannon
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 November 10 00:26 GMT (UK) »
1881 John Howell with wife Mary and 6 children, out of work labourer, born 1841 Llanon, at 10 Park Lane, Llanelly, Carmarthen,

RG11 Piece 5374 Folio 142 Page 26

Offline eac61

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 November 10 01:33 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen the info on LDS site:
David Howell born Sep 1835 Llanon, Carmarthenshire, died 28 Nov 1907, buried
3 Dec 1907 Trealaw Cemetery, Glamorgan
Parents: David and Anne Howell
Spouse: Ann Hungod (Ungoed). Married 22 Mar 1864 Cardiff, Glamorgan

David Howell born about 1811 Llanelli and wife Anne born about 1813 Llanelli

You can see submitter details on the site.

The submitter was actually me - but the details were copied from an old family tree that I had been given a few years ago, which at the time I hadnt checked out as at that time I believed it to be true - but Im not so convinced now - hence the reason that I am trying to find some sort of proof of David's parents ....
Powell - Ton Pentre
Phillips - Llwynypia
Howell - Llannon/Llwynypia/Cardiff/Pennsylvania,USA
Ungoeds - Llannon,Carmarthenshire/Australia

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 November 10 01:39 GMT (UK) »
There was more than one submitter and some of the LDS records are extracted rather than submitted.

Your best bet is to get David's marriage certificate to prove Father's name and occupation.

There was more than one Howell family in Llannon Parish at the relevant time. If you can find a younger brother or sister you will have more chance of getting a GRO certificate.

Offline eac61

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 14 November 10 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for everyones replies - I will purchase David and Anne's wedding certificate at least this will confirm who his Dad was - tho I am really keen to find who his Mother was to.    Anne's Father  - John Ungoed was also from Llannon !
Powell - Ton Pentre
Phillips - Llwynypia

Offline eac61

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 20 November 10 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Have today received the wedding certificate for David Howell and his wife Anne nee Ungoed.  It states that when they married in 1864 he was 26  (which would mean he was born about 1838 ? unless the age isnt true - Anne shows as being 22- when in fact she was 23 - so maybe they just didnt know their ages  ;D ) and living in Radyr. His Father's name was David and was a Publican  ......................... so its back for another search .....
Powell - Ton Pentre
Phillips - Llwynypia

Offline eac61

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 20 November 10 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Also had just had another thought - all the census records say he was born in Llanon or Llannon, Carmarthenshire - these are two different places arent they - near to Aberystwyth and one to Llanelli ???  and in fact the 1881 census says David Howell was born abt 1837 Llanon
Powell - Ton Pentre
Phillips - Llwynypia

Offline Cal241

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • does my butt look big in this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 20 November 10 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi
You are right there are 2 places ... I think your David is the Llannon, Camarthanshire one

I found a publican (&grocer) with his wife in 1871
David & Elizabeth Howell both 60
With them is a grand daughter Elizabeth aged 6 .... could this be a child of David and Anne??

Address Hosprefel, Hengoed, Llanelly, Carmarthenshire

Cal  8)
UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk                Bigg-Sheppey/West Ham<br />Dodd - Cheshire <br />Ingram - Dorset, London, Morlaix, Australia, California<br />Kerfoot - Warrington, Pemberton, St Asaph<br />McKinneley - N Ireland, Liverpool <br />Marshall - Midlothian, Cheshire<br />Morrish-Chelsea<br />Shiel - Melrose<br />Woodhall- Liverpool, Shropshire/Staffordshire<br />Dagliesh- Melrose<br />Stevenson - Melrose<br />Smith & Jones! Scotland & Wales

Offline eac61

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 20 November 10 16:59 GMT (UK) »
I also found a David married to an Elizabeth - came up as Howells instead of Howell in the 1861 census and he was a Victualler !! So I think this maybe the same one as you found on the 1871 census ???

So do you think my one is from Llannon, Llanelli or Llanon, Aberystwyth way ?
Powell - Ton Pentre
Phillips - Llwynypia

Offline Cal241

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • does my butt look big in this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 20 November 10 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Llannon is in Carmarthenshire and Llanon is in Cardiganshire. I wonder if way back the one in Carmarthenshire had one 'n'. So confusing!!    :(

There is a David Howell born June Q 1838 Llanelly which includes Llannon (Free Bmd 26 524).. that fits with the wedding cert .....

I have found with my ancestors that the ages are all over the place on census returns ... it could be them confused how old they are or it could be a bad transcription??

UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk                Bigg-Sheppey/West Ham<br />Dodd - Cheshire <br />Ingram - Dorset, London, Morlaix, Australia, California<br />Kerfoot - Warrington, Pemberton, St Asaph<br />McKinneley - N Ireland, Liverpool <br />Marshall - Midlothian, Cheshire<br />Morrish-Chelsea<br />Shiel - Melrose<br />Woodhall- Liverpool, Shropshire/Staffordshire<br />Dagliesh- Melrose<br />Stevenson - Melrose<br />Smith & Jones! Scotland & Wales