Author Topic: The April 2005 Rootschat Challenge  (Read 50802 times)

Offline Rian

• RootsChat Senior
  • My grandmother, Lilian Fennessy Hopkins
    • View Profile
Re: The April 2005 Rootschat Challenge
« Reply #135 on: Friday 22 April 05 00:34 BST (UK) »
This is a wonderful idea Paul, and it would be great to have one every month— but instead of picking an unknown subject; how about picking (at random of course) one of the subjects of a rootschat member, that they have asked for help with? I don't know how you would choose, (maybe a date, a number in the list for that date) but there are plenty of candidates! 
Alternatively, random pick a membership number, and then everyone pitch in to help with that member's brickwalls. I think I like this one better!
What do you think, people?!
Rian
Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Anderson, Atton, Bagley, Banks, Barlow, Bartin, Braid, Carveth, Cleary, Cooper, Fennessy, Frank, Frisby, Garner, Hathaway, Hollis, Hopkins, Irvine, Jones, Karrasch, Kennett, Kirkpatrick, Kirkness, Kopittke, Leslie, Logie, McGinty, Marriott, Meredith, Minshull, Munro, Nind, Pearce, Pulley, Reid, Rendall, Scollay, Shearer, Shorter, Spence, Stephenson, Tate, Warren.
UK, Orkney, Ireland, Prussia and Australia.

Paul E

« Reply #136 on: Friday 22 April 05 07:46 BST (UK) »

"Quo Fata Vocant" - Whither the Fates Call [us].  My book, when I get round to writing it, will be titled, "Called by Fate".  There have been so many incredible coincidences in our family stories, and so much luck; good and bad!

Hi Malcolm

I think you are right about Alexander - highly unlikely, but the only one I could find - no doubt he'll emerge as freebmd gets more complete.

As for the motto - as you browse around Rootschat you'll find similar tales of people moving to places where theyhad no idea there was a family connection.  There's something deep and instinctive which drives this, I am sure!

Rian - I'm leaving the choice for the May Challenge in the capable hands of emilysiobahn - I'm sure she'll take your idea into account inher selection (but in a way the totally random selection from the census seems to have been successful!)

Paul

Paul E

« Reply #137 on: Friday 22 April 05 11:40 BST (UK) »

Anyway, here is Abraham's ancestry:
His grandfather was William BLAND, a millwright who married Elizabeth SUGDEN in Otley Parish Church in 1816.  This is as far back as I can get.  They were married by Banns with parents’ consent, which suggests that one or both were younger than 21.  I searched through the parish register for births 1796 - 1804 but could not find the bride or groom.  I then searched for marriges and found only John BLAND married Ann SUTTEL and John SUGDEN, Millwright, married Hannah BLACKBERRY in 1792.  Are these Elizabeth SUGDEN’s parents?  I need to find Elizabeth’s birth certificate.

From the IGI, there's a  christening for a William Bland, father John Bland and mother Ann, in Bradford on 6 June 1798.  This William would
 be under 21 at the time of an 1816 marriage.

There are a few possible's for Elizabeth Sugden:

2 x Betty Sugden, christened 1798 Bradford
Elisabeth Sugden, c1798 Idle

parent shown as John Sugden (no mother) in each case

One of the Betty Sugdens has possible siblings that include a Hannah and an Ellen.

cheers

Paul

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Friday 22 April 05 12:13 BST (UK) »
I like Rian's idea about picking someone's deadend and all pitching in
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline emilysiobhan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Friday 22 April 05 12:38 BST (UK) »

Rian - I'm leaving the choice for the May Challenge in the capable hands of emilysiobahn - I'm sure she'll take your idea into account inher selection (but in a way the totally random selection from the census seems to have been successful!)

Paul

Not sure about the capable bit ;D But am happy to take peoples views in to account.
Personally speaking I'm more inclined towards the completely random part...as people are free to post their deadends at any time and have us all pitch-in...and you never know if we might find some new rootschatters members along the completely random route.
I'm also a bit worried that some rootschatters have got so far back already with their trees that we might end up looking for a ag. lab. from ? in 1500 :)....and not get very far.

But the public can decide.........

Sorry not to have been much help with the Blands this week....had a lot to do at work..

Emily

Cork: Collins,
Herts/Beds:  Pope,Harwood
Essex:  Bryant, Pumfrey, Williams, Keyes,Totham, Citchen
Surrey/London: Shields, Woolf, Cooper, Quinton, Plumer
other: Cuskern,  Domazsewicz
Wales: Morgan, Mathews, Thomas (x2), Trew, Protheroe, Owen

Census information is Crown copyright

Paul E

« Reply #140 on: Friday 22 April 05 12:45 BST (UK) »
Back to Canada ....

The Thomas Domaille shown aged 26 in the 1906 census in Saskatchewan may well the same Thomas who is shown as aged 12 in the 1891 census:

Thomas DOMAILLE, Son, 12, Southampton West End
living at Leigh, Staffordshire
Father shown as living on own means, with a couple of servants in the household. 

Paul

PS

I think emily's right - with a random name we might recruit a few more like Malcolm!

Offline Rian

• RootsChat Senior
  • My grandmother, Lilian Fennessy Hopkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Friday 22 April 05 22:32 BST (UK) »
I think emily's right - with a random name we might recruit a few more like Malcolm!

That's a good point. New recruits are always a good thing!
Rian
Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Anderson, Atton, Bagley, Banks, Barlow, Bartin, Braid, Carveth, Cleary, Cooper, Fennessy, Frank, Frisby, Garner, Hathaway, Hollis, Hopkins, Irvine, Jones, Karrasch, Kennett, Kirkpatrick, Kirkness, Kopittke, Leslie, Logie, McGinty, Marriott, Meredith, Minshull, Munro, Nind, Pearce, Pulley, Reid, Rendall, Scollay, Shearer, Shorter, Spence, Stephenson, Tate, Warren.
UK, Orkney, Ireland, Prussia and Australia.

Offline maidmarianoops

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • somewhere over the rainbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: Saturday 23 April 05 14:33 BST (UK) »
1881 census

Abraham Bland abt 1875  Sale, Cheshire, England Son  Washway Road, Sale, Cheshire, England   
 Arthur Bland abt 1877  Sale, Cheshire, England Son  Washway Road, Sale, Cheshire, England   
 Eliza Bland abt 1837  Barnsley, Yorkshire, England Wife  Washway Road, Sale, Cheshire, England   
 Eliza A. Bland abt 1878    Daughter  Washway Road, Sale, Cheshire, England   
 Frank Bland abt 1874  Sale, Cheshire, England Son  Washway Road, Sale, Cheshire, England   
 John Bland abt 1817  Esholt, Yorkshire, England Head  Washway Road, Sale, Cheshire, England   
 John Bland abt 1870  Sale, Cheshire, England Son  Washway Road, Sale, Cheshire, England   
 William Bland abt 1871  Sale, Cheshire, England
notts/derbys clark
      "        "      stenson
        "       "    nicholson
       "     "        jarvis
                         castledine
    rhodes

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JJdownunder

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: Sunday 24 April 05 03:07 BST (UK) »
Hi all

Don't know if this is connected but thought I'd throw it in anyway.

Guiseley St Oswalds MI's memorials in the churchyard

Sacred to the memory of Samuel Bland of Guiseley, born March 8th 1823, died Jan 10th 1872

and

Wilson Bland, died July 11 1916 aged 64 years. Thirza Bland, died Nov 7th 1917, aged 63 years.

and

To the glory of God and in  memory of Private Joseph Clapham, 2nd West Yorkshire Regiment, killed in action at Holland S.A. December 19th 1901, aged 21 years,and of Trooper David Bland, 57th Bucks Imperial Yeomanry, died of enteric, at East London,S.A. December 12th 1901, aged 19 years. This tablet was erected by the inhabitants of Guiseley, April 1904

and found this in a book about the Aireborough District
(published 1988)

APPENDIX 10

ADELAIDE NEILSON
"The loveliest personality that has graced the English stage at any period of time'. Such was the contemporary description of this remarkable Guiseley-bred lady. In her time this world famous actress endeared herself to Americans as few have done since.

Born in Leeds in 1848, Elizabeth Ann Browne, daughter of an unmarried actress(her real father was a Spanish Nobleman), was brought up in Guiseley. Her mother married Mr Bland-- a local painter and decorator. They lived in a house at Greenbottom and she attended the church school and Guiseley Primative Methodist Church. After working a while at Greenbottom Mill she left here as a teenager to make her way in the theatrical world.

This she did with brilliant success, changing her name from Lizzie Bland to Adelaide Neilsen. Universally  admired by Americans as ' The most fascinating woman of her day', she possessed great natural beauty,and acting ability as well as a beautiful personality.

She bought he mother a home at 6 Maple terrace, Yeadon. Her marriage with a clergyman, Rev. Lee failed. The brief flower of her life soon faded, however, when she suddenly died in Paris at he age of 32.(The cause of he death was an internal haemorrhage)

She is buried amongst famous persons in Brompton Cemetery London. In America her biography was published... and still today there is an active society in her name. But here in Guiseley she was just another mill worker bearing the stigma of illegitimacy and her name is almost forgotten, even the house in which she lived was demolished when the railway was built leaving no pemanent memorial.

But few have ever climbed from such humble beginnings to such incredible heights as our own, incomparable, Guiseley-bred Lizzie Bland.

JJDownunder
All census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lawson,Houlden,Robinson,Cooper,Farrar,Hunter,Wilson, (in yeadon rawdon guiseley) Lofthouse,Gill, (in burley in wharfedale,langcliffe,hampsthwaite) Gray (in aberford) Wetherill (in Harewood) Elliott,Hudson(in gislingham suffolk) Worm(e),Holmes (in hainford norfolk)