Author Topic: Lady Ann of Clontarf?  (Read 76626 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lady Ann of Clontarf?
« Reply #315 on: Monday 05 February 18 21:32 GMT (UK) »
NAI REFERENCE:    

CSO/RP/1830/11
TITLE:    

Letter from [Gen Sir Frederick Stovin], Military Secretary, Royal Hospital, Dublin, regarding the need for a proper police force in the town of Galway
SCOPE & CONTENT:    

Letter from [Gen Sir Frederick Stovin], Military Secretary, Royal Hospital, Dublin, to Sir Francis Leveson Gower, [Chief Secretary], Dublin Castle, regarding the need for a proper police force in the town of Galway. Enclosing correspondence from Maj Gen Sir Thomas Arbuthnot, [assistant adjutant general], Athlone, [County Westmeath], and from Lieut Col William Sutherland, Galway, citing recent cases where the military was deployed for civil uses and providing copies of such requisitions, and with Sutherland stressing the current disturbed state of the town.
EXTENT:    

3 items, 5pp
DATE(S):    

2 Jan 1830- Jan 1830
DATE EARLY:    

DATE LATE:    

ORIGINAL REFERENCE:    

1830/11
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: Monday 05 February 18 21:34 GMT (UK) »
NAI REFERENCE:    

CSO/RP/OR/1830/340
TITLE:    

Letter from [M] Bellew, [High Sheriff for County Galway], Dublin, fearing disturbances during the upcoming Galway election
SCOPE & CONTENT:    

Letter from [M] Bellew, [High Sheriff for County Galway], Dublin, to William Gregory, [Under Secretary, Dublin Castle], advising to appoint Maj [George] Warburton, [Inspector General], and Col Sutherland, 5th Regiment, as magistrates for County Galway; fearing there will not be sufficient independent magistrates for the disturbances the election will bring. Also, note by [Archdeacon Thomas Singleton, private secretary to Hugh Percy, 3rd duke Northumberland, Dublin], in the negative.
EXTENT:    

2 items; 5pp
DATE(S):    

12 Aug 1830

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: Monday 05 February 18 21:53 GMT (UK) »
The 1824 marriage is for a Mary Sutherland.I can find a record for a Mary Sutherland,address Wexford Militia,Co. Kilkenny,father John Sutherland,baptised Jan 1808,mother Honor(surname not recorded).No birth date.

There is also a July 1803 record for a baptism of  Catherine Sutherland,father John Sutherland
(militia),mother Charlotte(surname not recorded),Co.Kilkenny.

Perhaps these are the two daughters(illegitimate?) before Anna Maria.

Regards
Roger

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: Monday 05 February 18 21:59 GMT (UK) »
The 1824 marriage is for a Mary Sutherland.I can find a record for a Mary Sutherland,address Wexford Militia,Co. Kilkenny,father John Sutherland,baptised Jan 1808,mother Honor(surname not recorded).No birth date.

There is also a July 1803 record for a baptism of  Catherine Sutherland,father John Sutherland
(militia),mother Charlotte(surname not recorded),Co.Kilkenny.

Perhaps these are the two daughters(illegitimate?) before Anna Maria.

Regards
Roger

And the person with the waffle has...."astonished to find birth details on a certain Irish website for Jane Sutherland in this village (population around 2500) in exactly the right year. Jane’s father was said to be John Sutherland, "

Whatever year that was "on a certain Irish website "!! ?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: Monday 05 February 18 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Here is the unframed Lady Anne.  Can't believe that my aunt (or her mom) chose a metal oval matte that covered up so much:

Slightly off topic ...

Although I have read some of this thread I have not followed it very closely, so may have missed earlier comments about the painting (apologies if this is the case) but a couple of observations if I may?

I disagree that the oval mat has covered up anything significant, in fact I think it may have presented the image rather well, depending on the finish of the mat and the accompanying frame of course.

Although no status can necessarily be gleaned from the painting (apart from her well to do appearance), it was not painted by a professional nor is it particularly well executed. Painting was a popular hobby so it may have been painted by a family member or friend - but definitely an amateur.

This does not help with your query though.  :)

Offline Joseph L. Oliver

• RootsChat Member
  • Pie Fixes Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: Wednesday 07 February 18 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone:

Have been consumed with work and weekend festivities for our son's 17th birthday.  I've got lots of catching up to do but just a note of thanks to all of you for contributing your time and thoughts to this topic.  You're sweet.

Joe
Burke, Sutherland, Curtis, Cuter, Koplik

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: Thursday 08 February 18 22:12 GMT (UK) »
I may,only may,have found a family connection between John Sutherland,adjutant captain of the Galway Militia and one of the proposed candidates for Lady Ann(e)-Ann(e)Caulfeild nee Bermingham,
2nd Countess Charlemont.Whether it is relevant in the context of the tradition of passing the portrait is another matter.

Ann(e) Bermingham of Rosshill is connected to the Browne family,original owners of Rosshill,by virtue of Eiizabeth Browne,sister of Peter Browne,marrying John Bermingham.I haven't worked out the precise relationship of Ann(e),born 1780,to this John,born circa 1668,via her father William,but the relationship seems to exist

http://landedestates.nuigalway.ie/LandedEstates/jsp/estate-show.jsp?id=724

The Peter Browne referred to above had a son John,(1st Earl of Altamont),who married Ann(e) Gore,daughter of Sir Arthur Gore,2nd Baronet.
This Ann(e) Gore's brother Arthur(1st Earl of Arran) had a daughter Lady Joanna Gore,herself a candidate,previously proposed by me,by virtue of her being known as Lady Anne Daly,following her marriage to Michael Daly of Tokay Lodge,Clontarf Dublin.
Katherine Daly,the granddaughter of Michael by his son Denis,married Captain John So(u)therland in 1809.
I'm sure it would be useful to try to fit dates to the characters,and draw a mini family tree,but my head hurts(again)!

Regards
Roger

Offline Joseph L. Oliver

• RootsChat Member
  • Pie Fixes Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: Friday 09 February 18 00:38 GMT (UK) »
Rogers:

That's very interesting.  I'm going to sketch out a tree with that one myself.  Thank you.

Joe

Offline Joseph L. Oliver

• RootsChat Member
  • Pie Fixes Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: Friday 09 February 18 00:42 GMT (UK) »
Ruskie:

Thanks for your input.  You are supporting previous speculation on the artist not being a professional, so despite your statement that your post "does not help", it sure doesn't hurt.

Joe