Author Topic: Cottonera hospital malta  (Read 14566 times)

Offline Tim W

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cottonera hospital malta
« Reply #27 on: Friday 02 September 11 00:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Postylady, Luzzo

I've been looking for WW1 hospital records from Malta, there doesn't
seem to be any surviving, even at Kew. General word is that they were
returned to the UK, but never archived.

I also find research in Malta isn't easy, but it is possible, just don't believe the first person who says "No/cant do it/not for public viewing"
 - if you need a B/M/D certificate but don't know the exact date -
apply online - they will search for 3 years around the date, unfortunately if it falls outside those 3 yrs they still keep your money!
Similarly, cemetery records,  I eventually got a result by emailing the cemetery manager directly, even though the records "weren't  currently available".

Still having trouble getting records from St.Julians though, and finding Christian Brothers Street... Anyone?!?

Rice, Whieldon, Belper Derbyshire, Manchester, Gzira Malta,
WW1, Royal Sussex Reg., Leicester Reg.,

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 02 September 11 10:51 BST (UK) »
Had a fair degree of success recently obtaining birth certificates from the public registry online by guessing the date.  In every case if they haven't been able to issue a certificate they haven't taken the payment which I thought was very good.  Extract certificates only cost 2.33 euros.

In which town is Christian Brothers Street and in what time period?  Various streets in Malta have been renamed several times depending on who was in charge, i.e., French, Italian, British and now Maltese since the island became independent in 1964.

What are you looking for in St Julians?

Luzzu  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline Tim W

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 02 September 11 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Luzzu,

Christian Brothers Street is/was in Gzira in the early 1940's.

My Gt.Aunt Vincenza "Jessie" Rice was killed in 1942 by an exploding bomb.
 - her death certificate states "in Fleet street", family stories say she was at home. From what i can find it was just a single bomb dropped in the area on 28 October 1942.
Her home address was "Annie", Christian Brothers Street, Gzira - stated on CWGC. I'd love to find a photo or even just locate it.

My interest in St Julians is baptisms, again concerning the same family.
 -  I know my Gt Uncle John "Jack" Rice married Vincenza (nee Amaira)
at St Julians in 1923, (and have been in contact with her family who confirm St Julians
was the family church).  The twist is that (our) family believed they were childless, however I have uncovered a photo that seems to suggest otherwise...

and so I wondered if I could check recorded baptisms...

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 03 September 11 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Tim,

I will ask around about Christian Brothers Street in Gzira.  I know a couple of people who have lived in Gzira for a long time so I will see what I can find out.  If I can find out where it is or was, I will go down and take some photographs for you.

Not sure how to go about accessing baptismal records for St Julians.  The church itself is quite modern.  Looking at it I would guess late 1960's so I would think when it was rebuilt the records would have been taken to the Curia in Valletta.  I think it would be a case of contacting the priest and taking his advice.  A small donation worked for me when I asked a priest to look up at baptism which took place in St Gaetano in Hamrun and the records had already been removed to the Curia and he took the trouble to go and find it for me.

Have you got the Rice/Amaira marriage certificate?

Luzzu

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 03 September 11 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Tim,

Do you have a photograph of the memorial on which your Great Aunt is named?

Luzzu

Offline Tim W

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 03 September 11 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Luzzu,

Yes I have a photo of the memorial, found it on the Malta Family History site. Not sure where it is exactly though.
 (there's a picture of My Gt Aunt and uncle there too - have a look for "Rice" on this page - http://website.lineone.net/~stephaniebidmead/BritishResidents1900-1979.htm ).
I also have their marriage and death certificates too.
I have tried contacting the priest but have not had a reply yet - but I'm patient and optimistic though - it was about 3 months for the cemetery people to reply!!

I think I have an idea about Christian Brothers Street - "Christian Brothers" refers to De La Salle Brothers who ran Christian schools for homeless/poor children. They're now known as La Sallian institute, and they have 3 in Malta, including 1 in Gzira - the Stella Maris College, on St Albert Street. I'd guess St Albert Street is or is close to Christian Brothers street, and I'll bet Fleet Street isn't far away either...
More digging to do I think..

Back to the children - attached is athe photo I found , it was sent to his eldest sister, on the back it states "to Ethel, the children Arthur, Neno and Mary"- Especially as his father was called Arthur ...
 -

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 04 September 11 11:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Tim,

Lovely photographs.  I have just had a look at the one on the Malta Family History website.

I was thinking along the same lines yesterday with regard to Stella Maris College.  Good news.  Fleet Street still exists.  I have found it on a map - Triq il Flotta and it runs parallel with Triq San Albert.  There is also De La Salle not far away.  I can also see a street called Freres which I think is brothers in French  ???.  I will have a wander down there over the next week or so and take a look and some photographs.

Just an idea.  Why don't you send a letter to The Times of Malta (Letters to the Editor page):-

www.timesofmalta.com

You might be lucky enough to find someone who has a photograph of how the area used to be.  You could include one of your photographs.  I have seen letters from people who are researching and looking for help printed in the paper.

Luzzu  :)

Offline Tim W

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 04 September 11 20:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Luzzu,
If triq il Flotta is that close to San Albert we must be right -
my money is on De La Salle being Christian Brothers street. ..
can't see it on google maps though - do you know of any other online street maps of Malta? Photo's would be amazing!!

Good idea about a letter to the Times, hadn't thought of that. Wonder if there's anyone still alive who might remember them personally? - can only hope!! John's live seems to be such a mystery. guess that's part of the appeal.

I had another thought, if the children were theirs, then presumably they had the surname Rice - and there can't be that many people called "Neno Rice", or even "arthur Rice" for that matter - do you know of any directories from the 30's/40's? or voters lists etc?
Tim

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 04 September 11 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Tim,

Just thought I would check phone directory to see how many Rices there are - only 4 - and one is in Triq San Albert, Gzira  :D and wait until you see his first name - may be a grandson.  The most recent phone book in print is 2004 (things move slowly in Malta  8)) so it is a bit out of date but I will PM the addresses to you in case you want to write a few letters.

There is a chance some one still living might remember them if you write to The Times so sending a photograph would be a good idea.  I think it will encourage more people to read it with a photograph too.

Luzzu