Author Topic: Cottonera hospital malta  (Read 14567 times)

Offline Tim W

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cottonera hospital malta
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 06 September 11 19:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Luzzu,
- thats amazing! could even be the same house!
Letter duly written and posted. It would be some coincidence if there was no relationship... I'm going to wait for the response before  I write to the paper.

I found an online map, looks like there could be a few possibilities for Christian Brother's Street. I saw somewhere else on line where someone contacted the
Tourist dept. about the old street names and they found out exactly, so I'm going to try that as well.
 - Will let you know how I get on.

Rice, Whieldon, Belper Derbyshire, Manchester, Gzira Malta,
WW1, Royal Sussex Reg., Leicester Reg.,

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 06 September 11 19:20 BST (UK) »
I knew you would send a letter  :D.  Let's keep everything crossed.  I will definitely go down to Gzira this week or next and have a look around.  Its only a 15 minute walk.  Yes I think either me or Postylady contacted the Tourism Department or the Council and they told us where the street was and it turned out I walked down it every day when I go to work.

Luzzu
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 11 September 11 16:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Tim,

I have a few photographs for you if you can PM your email address.  I had a few problems with the camera but what I have will give you a general idea and then I can always go back and get some more when hopefully you have more information.

Triq Il Freres is only a small street and looks as if it was all residential.  One side of the street still has a few older houses, the other side has been totally redeveloped with a massive new apartment block.  I checked all the names on the houses which all have girls names - Carmen, Jessie, Iris, Rose etc., but no Annie  :(.

Triq il Flotta isn't far away on the other side of the main road, Rue D'Argens.  This is quite a long street, mainly residential but with a few shops as well.

I wonder if the bomb fell on Fleet Street and may be she was taken home and died there because it isn't far at all.

Triq San Albert as you know is parallel to Triq Il Flotta but I wasn't able to find the address you wrote to.  Some of the houses have been developed and all the numbers seem mixed up.  Let's hope the postman has more luck.

Luzzu  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire