Author Topic: George GOODMAN  (Read 110981 times)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: George GOODMAN
« Reply #360 on: Tuesday 12 March 13 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Minor "alarm bells" as to interpretation.

1851 Daniel T wed to Sophia - William Goodman Taylor 21 Daniel Taylor 24
1841 Daniel T wed to Sophia - William               Taylor 13  Daniel Taylor 15                               

William born after Daniel jnr and after "your" marriage 1820? ... and a Goodman?

Daniel jnr son of Daniel snr? Yes. 
William son of Sophia?         Yes.
Daniel father of William?       Don't think so.

Sophia "A" marries a Goodman then Wm arrives then Goodman "leaves/dies/?"
and
Sophia "B" / Someone else, marries DanielT who has a similar story?
DanielT jnr born 1827 Wm Goodman born 1830?
So not DanielT snr marries Sophia Goodman C1820?
No.
Sophia A is Sophia B?
No.
Not for me.

Also looking at the "1800" marriage of Taylor Daniel v Sophia Goodman (that is how it is written)

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: Tuesday 12 March 13 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi

From the 1851 census I see Daniel Taylor, father, aged 69 born Kempton Hampshire, Sophia Taylor, mother, aged 56 born Hatfield Hertfordshire, Daniel Taylor, son, aged 24 born Chelsea & William Goodman Taylor, son, aged 21 born Chelsea.

The marriage for Daniel & Sophia is on Family Search.
 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NKNZ-4PJ

I'm assuming William was given his mothers surname for his second name as there's no reason to suspect he was born out side of Daniel & Sophia's marriage. :-\

Unfortunately I can't see any records for Hatfield or near by on FS to find Sophia's parentage so it might be worth you contacting Herts Archives & Local Studies, (HALS)

As our Goodman's are in the Rickmansworth & Watford area of Herts I don't think there is likely to be a connection but you never can tell. :)

Maddie
Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maddie

..... so why make the exception about naming one "supposedly later" child of their marriage?

R

... and the 1800 marriage?

:-}

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline colbak

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 20:33 GMT (UK) »
The discreprancy may be solved. In 1861 Sophia and William G are living as lodgers in College St(Now Elystan St) Chelsea and he is noted in the census as Sophia's Brother. Sophia and Dan had 2 daughters Sophia and Sarah christened in 1821 and 1824 in St Lukes Chelsea. They then had 2 sons Dan and William again christened in St Lukes in 1826 &29. They were still living in College St then.This William then turns up in 1861 aged 32 with his own family married to Anna. I think Dan snr must have died between 1851 & 1861 and Dan jnr moved away or died also-I've yet to discover which. William then turns up in 1871 with my great grandfather Frederick aged 5 and several other sprogs in tow.
After 1829 and up to 1851 Sophia was living with Dan snr in Leader St.(now Ixworth place) Chelsea.
Coincidentally I grew up in Chelsea in Sutton Trust buildings which is built in a triangle boardered by Cale St ,Elystan St and Ixworth Place. The streets where my grt grt grt grandparents lived

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Found Sophia & William G in 1861, I can't see where it says he is her brother....... :-\ They are both lodgers, he is aged 31 & unmarried, Sophia is aged 65 & a widow, look like mother & son to me. :)

Maddie
Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colbak, have you tried looking on the London forum of rootschat as I noticed that there are some comments re Taylor families from Chelsea. There was a Sophie Goodman in Watford Union Workhouse in 1871, which I know is a later date than the period you are referring to. There were also some males named William Goodman in Rickmansworth. Do you know if your ancestors where ever in Hertfordshire.

Offline 1783caz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: Thursday 14 March 13 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi B Goodman ....
thanks for your message i did see it but not had chance to reply as been so busy ...i havent even looked at family treedna ...is there any news yet ? im busting to know ? lol  ....   ;p

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: Friday 15 March 13 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi 1783Caz, it is indeed frustrating this wait. I received notification that the Y-DNA37 test, Y-DNA26-37 Markers is due now on the 29Th of March and a test Y-HAP-Backbone is due on the 22ND of April!. I emailed the company and asked why this backbone test was done as I hadn't had this with the previous DNA testing. Also mentioned about the new delay with the results.

Offline colbak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: Friday 15 March 13 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply. Sophia was born in Hatfield in 1796 and married a Daniel Taylor. They lived in Chelsea having children Sarah Sophie Daniel and William Goodman Taylor. WGT is who I thought was my grt grt grandfather but I'm not so sure now as William G was living as a lodger in College St Chelsea with Sophia in 1861. My William was living in Lower George St Chelsea at the same time so must conclude that they are not the same person and that I dont have a Goodman in the family history. Its a shame cos I'd got quite attached to Sophia and Daniel snr.