Author Topic: Annie Ackroyd c. 1900 Yorkshire  (Read 1742 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Annie Ackroyd c. 1900 Yorkshire
« on: Monday 21 February 11 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Is anyone researching this Family line as I have two lovely photos of this lady that I would like to share with relatives...they can be viewed here:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,515265.0.html

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Annie Ackroyd c. 1900 Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Is anyone researching this Family line

Carol

Hi Carol,
   I wonder if you are yourself researching the Ackroyd family of West Yorkshire?   Until recently I only knew that my grandfather Albert Hutton had a good friend Mr. Ackroyd - he always used Mr or Mrs for friends and relatives, even with his own wife Harriet.    I'll attach a photo I have of him sitting on a chair outside the front of my Grandad's house in Undercliffe, perhaps in the 1920's/1930's in case you may recognise him and thus give us a first name.

However my interest in the Ackroyd's is that I have found that my Hutton ancestors of Eccleshill and Calverley had more than one connection to the Ackroyd's.   I did know that one likely ancestor a William Hutton married Mary Ackeroyd by licence at Calverley in 1686 and their son William Hutton was born a year later.

Something much bigger has now come up and this will take me many days if not weeks to work out as I slowly try to read and transcribe Secretariat Hand writing from a Land Litigation case in 1685 between William Hutton of Eccleshill and his wife Ann Ackroid versus Ann's brother Edward Ackroyd over land in Eccleshill.

There was an earlier case in 1684 and you can read the basics etc at this page - https://www.dhi.ac.uk/causepapers/causepaper.jsp?cause=CP.H.3830

I therefore purchased the 1685 court case pages from National Archives and it has taken me nearly a week to transcribe about half of page 1.   There are 2 more full pages and 2 small ones as well.     I have already learned so much about the Ackroyd family of the early 1600's from what I have been able to read so far.

If you would like a copy of my transcription then suggest you PM me for my email address.

I now know that a Richard Ackroid or Aikeroyd plus more variations of the name and his wife Margaret had several children and the names of those that I've found in the dispute were Michael who died in 1660 (and is the oldest memorial inscription listed on the Calverley info page), Edward his older brother, Ann who married William Hutton, Grace who married James Fairbanke, Elizabeth Fairbanke possibly a daughter of Grace and James, and Margaret Ackroid.

It was Michael's will that led to the disputes with Edward.    Michael left his tithes of corne, grass, hay and promises, and land in Eccleshill to his wife Margaret who died in 1682 (second on the memorial inscription list) and then everything 'said' and 'aforesaid' (words used repeatedly in the litigation case) was to go to Grace Fairbank, Ann (wife of Wm Hutton) and Margaret for a term of 30 years after Margaret was deceased.    But what seems to have happened (haven't got that far yet in the transcription) is that Edward stepped in and commandeered the tithes, and land.

All very interesting,   

Malcolm
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Malcolm, I'm not related but a collector of old photos and I enjoy finding families for named photos to be able to send copies to relatives. Thanks for your interest.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Malcolm, I'm not related but a collector of old photos and I enjoy finding families for named photos to be able to send copies to relatives. Thanks for your interest.
Carol

That is a wonderful thing to do, Carol.   There is so much in the old family photos whether one is related or not.

You might like to have a copy of my great grandfather Charles Grant born 13 May 1838 Ranby Babworth Notts, died 22 April, 1872 Ranby Babworth Notts.    Death cert has occupation as Farm Labourer but elsewhere he said he was a Game Keeper.    I had this photo restored back in the late 1970's when only option was to take it to a Photographer who did restorations.    They did a marvellous job as one corner was very much gone and edges tattered, and so they had an Artist fill in for instance the missing part of the table cloth. 

It is hard to make out his hat but a game keeper expert told me that those were rabbit feet near the top of the hat.

Cheers Malcolm
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett