Author Topic: Hugh Miller  (Read 9887 times)

Offline Youngy1981

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hugh Miller
« on: Monday 02 May 11 15:01 BST (UK) »
Hi i'm new to rootschat so please bear ith me i'm looking for information on Hugh Miller born in 1887 in county carlow and died in 1979 in County Tyrone he married in 1926 and had 3 daughters 1 of who is now deceased but 1 is still living in Tyrone i was wondering if anyone could help me out
Young, Bland, Glossop, Warrington, Rowland, Ball, Gregory, Howsley, Higton, Miller, Laidlaw, Walker, Cairns, Turnbull, Bell, Chadwick, Bradbury, Gould, Harvey, Webster.

From, Cumberland (Cumbria), Derbyshire, Rostrevor, Kilkee, USA, Australia,

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Miller
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 May 11 15:11 BST (UK) »
You can search the civil BMD Index to try to locate a birth reference for Hugh. Using the details on the index you can then order certs from the GRO to see if they fit the clues you have. I had a quick look at the index but none of the births for a Hugh Miller between 1886 and 1888 seem to be in Carlow.. see : link

Do you have his marriage cert ?

That should give his father's name and occupation. Using this information and Hugh's age it may be possible to locate the family on the 1901 and/or 1911 census - see : http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

see : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Youngy1981

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 May 11 15:14 BST (UK) »
No i'm sorry i do not have anyother information let alone his marriage certificate i do know however his father was James Miller and his mother was Janet Miller NEE Bell. Also one of 14 children but 2 died as infants

Thank you for your time i'll have a look at teh links you've sent me
Young, Bland, Glossop, Warrington, Rowland, Ball, Gregory, Howsley, Higton, Miller, Laidlaw, Walker, Cairns, Turnbull, Bell, Chadwick, Bradbury, Gould, Harvey, Webster.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 May 11 15:18 BST (UK) »
maybe this family on the 1901 census ?

Miller household, Ballinahinch townland, Co. Galway

Father James is listed as a Domestic Servant / Gamekeeper

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 May 11 15:21 BST (UK) »
I think this might be the birth reference for Hugh .. it's in the registration district of Baltinglass. Most of the registration district in Co. Wicklow, but there are some sections in counties Kildare and Carlow.

Name: Hugh Arthur Baird Miller
 Registration district:   Baltinglass
 Event type: Birth
 Quarter and year: Jul-Sep 1887
 Volume : 2 / Page :   384

see : Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
        Details included on a Birth Cert

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Youngy1981

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 May 11 15:23 BST (UK) »
Yes that sounds about right i know he had a sister Christina as she was my great nana and i've been struggling but yes it sounds very familer you are so kind in helping me i'm coming to a dead end as they say i know his parents and someof his siblings was born in scotland, some Ireland and then again in Scotland

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 May 11 15:24 BST (UK) »
here's Hugh on the 1911 census, with his mother, brother & sister :

Young / Miller household, Syenite Street, Rosstrevor, Co. Down

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Youngy1981

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 May 11 15:26 BST (UK) »
thank you for all this information it is amazing and i don't know much about the miller side of the family.

i'll try ordering the certificate and see if that helps however i'm going to print off the information as well to show my dad

Donna

Offline MillerIreland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Donna

By pure chance I was surfing the web and noticed your discussion with Shane.
Happy to say hello to a distant cousin.
We share a Great Great Grandfather. My Great Grandfather was Hugh's older brother James Miller. Shane's advice is correct and they were the folks in teh 1901 census in Galway. I have loads of questions to ask about your lost branch of the family(fom our perspective ). The furthest I've every got, on your side is Molly, Christina's daughter who we think emigrated to Manchester. We also thought Janet's maiden name was Rell. Never considered Bell.

Sorry, but not great/comfortably with these sites. Just signed up to this one to contact you.

Amazing to trip over family like this. Would welcome contact, if you are confortable.

Jimmy