Author Topic: West Mark School, Petersfield  (Read 69631 times)

Offline Emily Steel

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Update on Graham Evan's daughter!
« Reply #216 on: Friday 08 May 15 09:28 BST (UK) »
Hello

My name is Emily and I am Graham Evans grandaughter. How lovely to read that you are all planning a West Mark reunion. I searched for information about the school after talking to my mother today (Amanda, Graham's daughter). She belatedly received your letter this morning (my parents moved from Southend to Norfolk seven years ago and the post has taken a while to find its way to her).

I am seeing her tonight as she is visiting me in Southampton, and we will write a post to you together then!

Best wishes

Emily

Offline Mike Pitson

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: West Mark School, Petersfield
« Reply #217 on: Friday 08 May 15 11:47 BST (UK) »
Our heartiest welcome to you Emily.
We am absoluted  delighted to have found the Evans family. This due to Brian Hilton's diligence via the archives held in Winchester.

Let me put you and your mother in the picture.  As many West Markonians as we can find are meeting for the very first, and probably only time, at the Half Moon pub in Petersfield on Monday July 13th 2015. I have made contact with the land owners where our old school stood, there is little left now, but am told that one of the dormitories still stand. Provisional permission has been granted for us to visit the site. Also, our local church, St Mary's will provide a short service for us to give thanks to those who made our lives so happy. Lunch will be at the pub.

This is the general plan, nearer the date I shall (with the help of the gang of 4)  tighten and confirm the day's itinerary.

Please, you and your mother (if she is able) just must be there. This is an important event for us, . I personally would like to express my grateful thanks to the Evans family for a happy time at West Mark, thanks to your Grandfather.

Normally, I have asked that all correspondence is conducted through RootsChat so everyone is kept informed of what's going on, however, I detail my telephone number *Please contact me Emily if I can help.

Again, GREAT THAT WE HAVE FOUND YOU.

Regard

Mike

*Moderator comment: personal telephone number and e-mail address removed in accordance with RootsChat general practice to avoid spamming or other abuse.  Please use the personal message system to exchange this sort of information.  New members might need to make two or three posts before being able to access the system.  Thanks

Offline Mike Pitson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: Friday 08 May 15 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Emily
You will have seen that RootsChat don't allow personal info. to be published, so please look at the Personal Message service they provide. There hopefully you can retrieve my details. I am in the phone book though.
Regards

Mike

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: Friday 08 May 15 21:52 BST (UK) »
Emily will have to make a couple more posts before she can use the personal message service.

Emily, just reply here and you'll be there.  :)
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fay66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: Saturday 09 May 15 02:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Gang,
I've been a bit off this week and I've only just caught up with my emails and on here.
Pleased to see Emily has been in touch direct.
I've had a email from Mandy who is delighted that the letter I sent via the winchester Archives has finally caught up, but it has only just reached the family.
Mandy is delighted to accept our invitation, and will let us know after she's had a chance to discuss it with the other family members, how many of the family will join us.
Mandy is the youngest daughter born in 1954 and the her older sister is Judy.
It's really made my day as I'd all but given up hope of finding the family ;D
We certainly need someone from the local press to record the event now!

Mike, many thanks for the information for Emily and all of us.
I know the numbers are a bit disappointing but it is 60 + years on, and I'm grateful that at least we'll have more than enough of us to propose a toast to our old headmaster and School.

I suspect there maybe at least one other ex pupil, who may join us, I had asked Ken Taylor from Portsmouth to contact you, as as our agreement, when he contacted me on the 3rd April, he's not contacted me again so far, neither has there been any message to you on here, I've just emailed him again, and asked him to confirm with you if he intends joining us.
I've also recently had an email from Brian Prout to say he wishes to join us, I replied also asking him to contact you, but so far no contact from him either.
I'll try emailing him again.
Point taken over size of script for the badges, I'll need them that size for myself anyway.

Regards

Brian

Offline Jilly1959

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: Saturday 09 May 15 07:47 BST (UK) »
Good to see things happening for you all,  Brian with regards to local paper, I have spoken to Petersfield Post and they are more than happy to cover event.

Also with thoughts on ex pupis, would it be woth contacting middlesex local tv/radio stations asking them to mention westmark reunion just in case there are still those with no computer access.

Regards jilly

Offline Mike Pitson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: Saturday 09 May 15 11:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Jilly
`
You've beaten me to it, both local TV and press was on my `list to do' nearer to the date. I'm happy for you to handle the press. As far as TV/ Radio is concerned I'll make contact with them, again nearer the date. The Middx area, I will investigate as to what is available. It sure would help to find other ex pupils. Brian, I have marked up Ken Taylor as attending and now will add Brian Prout to the `possible' list. Likewise Mandy/Emily also added. Do we know the surname of Mandy? The list is growing.
Regards

Mike

Offline brian prout

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: Saturday 09 May 15 18:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike Pitson,

Hi Mike

Just a note to let you know I intend to join you for the West Mark reunion in july.

Latest PSA results are fine after my radio therapy treatment and I am sure I will be able to attend. 

What I intend doing is to book some accommodation for the night of the 13th july as its a bit of a journey for me, I live in the depths of rural Worcestershire at Snead Common Nr Abberley.

And if their are any other folk living in this part of the world that you know who would like a lift I would be very glad of the company.

Please let me know if you need any financial support with the arrangements you are making.

Kindest regards

Brian W. Prout  ( At West Mark 1953/early 1954 )

Offline Mike Pitson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: Saturday 09 May 15 19:31 BST (UK) »
Welcome Brian to the first, and probably only reunion of ex West Markonians.  To confirm we are meeting at the Half Moon pub, just down the road from our old school on Monday 13th July. The very day the school closed 49 years ago. A short service of Thanksgiving will be held at our old church in Sheet. It is expected that we will be able to visit the school site that is now occupied by two properties. Little however remains. Lunch being at the pub. Nearer the date when I know final numbers I can firm up the arrangements and publish a full itinerary for consultation.

The Half Moon (tel: 01730 263859) do have a small number of rooms available, Brian Hilton I know has booked in. Thank you for your offer of financial help, but really not needed.

Since we all communicate via RootsChat anybody local to you can make contact for a lift.

I look forward to meeting you.
Kind regards

Mike