Author Topic: Eli Kristiansd. Delviken (Anderson, Menominee, Michigan) - to America 1880  (Read 4556 times)

Offline janrm

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Pre 1905 Union flag, "Sildesalaten"
    • View Profile
My Great-Great Grandmother Eli Kristiansd Delviken (b. 13/6/1837) went to America (Marinette, Wisconsin ?) 1880 with her two sons Kristian and Olaf. Ship: Angelo

See 25089, 25090, 25091 here

http://www.digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=24&filnamn=emikra1&gardpostnr=25089&personpostnr=25089#nedre

Is it possible to find out something about them in America?

The only info I have is that Eli may have married a guy from Sweden...

Jan, (Mr.) Norway
"Doing Norway and a bit Sweden...!"

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
Re: Eli Kristiansd. Delviken, to America 1880
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 June 11 00:58 BST (UK) »
You might have some luck looking at the 1885 Wisconsin State census at www.familysearch.org for the sons, but since their surname appears to be "Olssen" (or a variant thereof), it might be a little difficult.  Also, Wisconsin has some fairly good vital stats online
http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/genealogy/vitalrecords/

Was "Eli" short for anything?   Is Delviken a farm name?  With Norwegians coming to US in this time frame it is a real challenge.   You have to look at multiple variations of patronymics:  C/Khristiansdottir; C/Khristianson/sen; Delviken, as well as farm names.  I have found parents going by their patronymics living near their children who used their farm names, and vice versa.   I guess I would try finding her sons in 1900 census (also at familysearch) and search backward from there if they actually are in the Wisconsin area.

I did a brief 1885 search and didn't find anything.

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline janrm

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 June 11 06:55 BST (UK) »

Thanks a lot for your reply, Nick!

I'll have a look at your links,

Delvika/Delviken is a farm name in Eidskog, Hedmark. It could also be that Eli used Stangnes, Stæringen as this was farms she lived on.

The most accurate info I have is on Eli's youngest son Olaf Bernhard (full name) was born Jul 7, 1875, baptised Sep 12 to father Ole Olsen Over, (b. 1819 in Grue, Hedmark, died 1877 Lillestrøm).

Olaf was born in Lillestrøm, Akershus as #114 here:

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=5528&idx_id=5528&uid=ny&idx_side=-36

Eli's first husband was Ole Nilsen Mellem-Stæringen (Stangnes, Eidskog) who vanished under suspicious circumstances in 1873.

Eli was (and still is a) common female first name in Norway.

Could they have ended up in Iowa? I think there may be some relatives of this family there today....

J

Offline dollylee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 June 11 08:10 BST (UK) »
When searching for my grandfather on the Emigranter over Kristiania website I thought I had the correct name of his ship as listed on their site.  Later I realized it was only the feeder ship that took them over to England as the first part of their emigration.

Thinking this was the same for Eli I searched for her ship from England to the U.S.A.  I thought I would use the spelling as they had on both the Emigranter and Christening sites and found her.  I hope this helps to find her in the U.S.A. as this seems to be the spelling she actually used.

Ship:  Britannic
Departure:  Liverpool, England and Queenstown, Ireland
Port of Arrival:  New York
Arrival:  September 12, 1880

Eli Christiansdotter  age  45
Christian Christiansen  age 25  Lab.
Olaf Christiansen  age 5  child

Nick was so right when he said the last name might be difficult to determine.  I have never seen a son use the masculine form of the mother's patronymic name.

dollylee

Offline dollylee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 June 11 09:03 BST (UK) »
Possible?

U.S. Naturalization Records have a Christian Christiansen born 1857 in Norway living in
Marinette County, Wisconsin age 49 certificate issued August 28, 1906 Witnesses:  Ingvald Rugg and Hans Eckman.

Wasn't Marinette County their destination on their emigration papers? 

dollylee

Offline JustJean

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 June 11 13:48 BST (UK) »
This may be a wild coincidence but still worth looking at perhaps....

The WW 1 draft has a listing for an Olaf Benhard Anderson with the correct date of birth of 7 Jul 1875.  He is a farmer in Wallace, Menominee county, Michigan which is just over the border from Marinette, Wisconsin.

Best wishes
Jean

Offline JustJean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 June 11 14:13 BST (UK) »
Not giving up on this one yet....

I'm thinking that the Olaf Anderson I found above was married to Tilly in 1910 and had 3 children the oldest named Olga.  On the draft card Miss Olga Anderson is his next of kin so perhaps his wife was dead by then.  In 1910 they had only been married 5 years.  Soooo...off I went to look for a single Olaf in 1900.  There is this interesting family living in Mellen Menominee Michigan....

Elie Anderson head age 62
Nils Anderson son    age 35
Olaf Anderson son    age 23
Alma Wikman servant    age 12

Elie's date of birth is June 1837.  I realize this if off a year but the month is right.  She is a widow,  born Norway and immigrated 1881.  Again off a year. She claims she has born 9 children and 8 are living.  Does this by any chance match the history you know of her? 

Perhaps she married an Anderson and Nils might be his son?  Just grasping at straws here.............

Best wishes
Jean

Offline janrm

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 June 11 14:26 BST (UK) »

Thanks a lot all of you, I'll have a closer look at this, one immediate comment though:

I have never seen a son use the masculine form of the mother's patronymic name.

dollylee

I have seen a study on this, & there are examples where the mother's patronymic name has been used. This occured where the father was dead (as in this case; presumed dead) or the mother was much richer than the father.

"Anderson" could very well be the Swede Eli married!

Jan

Offline JustJean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 June 11 15:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan

More fuel for the fire....

The MC for Olof as found on familysearch gives this info:

Date of Marriage 3 Jul 1904 at Wallace Michigan

Groom: Olof Anderson age 28 b. Norway
Bride: Tilda Eathund age 18, b. Sweden

Groom's Parents:  B. Anderson and Ele Olsen

By viewing the image you can see that the witnesses to the marriage were Krist Olson of Wallace Michigan and Laura Eathund of Wallace Michigan. 

More stuff to make you say...hhmmmm!

Best wishes
Jean