Author Topic: Elizabeth Jane BULBECK nee STAPLES  (Read 11529 times)

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Jane BULBECK nee STAPLES
« on: Thursday 21 July 11 13:01 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I've recently discovered that my ancestor Elizabeth Jane STAPLES (born 1886 in Haulbowline, Cork, Ireland) married William Alfred BULBECK in London, England in 1915, but William was then killed in action in 1916.

Evidently Elizabeth arrives in St John's, New Brunswick in 1921. (As per ship's list and also Canada 'Ocean Arrivals')

Any ideas how I might find her from this date onwards? At the moment, she seems to just disappear!

Many thanks,
Glen.
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Jane BULBECK nee STAPLES
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 July 11 15:37 BST (UK) »
have you seen the actual passenger list or only a transcript. Sometimes the destination is on the passenger list.

The transcript at ancestors on board has
Bulbeck (no first name), f, b. 1881, 1921 Liverpool to Saint John, NB

The 1921 census won't be available until sometime after 2013 and depending on when she traveled she may not be on the census.

There isn't a central registry in Canada for BMD's. They are by province so having a province to start with would be helpful. At least Bulbeck is an uncommon name in Canada so you may have some luck in your research.

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 July 11 16:24 BST (UK) »
These are the two records that I've found....
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 July 11 17:36 BST (UK) »
It appears that she was headed to Galt, Ontario as a domestic for Munro's living on Ainslie St. She would have traveled by train from Saint John to Galt. Galt is now part of Cambridge. I would try the local libraries to see if they have old newspaper listings or they may have access to city or phone directories for the time period. It may be your best starting point.

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 July 11 17:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you Valerie  :)
I wasn't sure whether Galt was a place or not. I'll look into that now.
Are you able to read the note written on the ship's list at all??  ???
I'm not sure what it says either!

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 July 11 18:10 BST (UK) »
The ships list is hard to read but it does have her destination written in as Montreal PQ but the form definitely has destination for Galt.

Galt is part of Cambridge and this should get you through to the library. I would contact them to see if they have any old records that could help you.

www.cambridgelibraries.ca/topicguide/genealogy

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 July 11 18:20 BST (UK) »
The note indicates Elizabeth is with her employer Mrs G Munro (RC) who can be found on page 4, line 16.

The passenger list shows Mrs Munro is Gertrude Munro who is a returning Canadian travelling to Galt Ontario.

Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 July 11 18:28 BST (UK) »
Valerie / Polarbear - thank you both so much!!
This is fantastic stuff! I'm not too good at the old handwriting! (Yet!)
Thanks again, Glen  :)

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 23:17 BST (UK) »
Not found anything for Elizabeth in any St John or Ontario records!

Think I'm going to try Montreal, because the handwritten note on the ship's list, may in fact be the correct onward destination!

Glen  :)