Author Topic: Right of Burial  (Read 8818 times)

Offline Erincyprus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Right of Burial
« Reply #18 on: Friday 05 August 11 00:15 BST (UK) »
I personally think RC Burials are one of the Best Kept Secrets in how they are treated after a period of time due to the fact their cemeteries are privatly owned and not goverened by the same Legislation as Council Cemeteries.

In the last year I was at a meeting where a Lawyer for the RC church was asked to explain their Rite of Burial being reduced to 75 years and the fact they can open a Poor Ground Grave after 30 years.

His answer to a full room of people was that they have the right to re sell a grave when the lease is up.  Any remains are then pushed to the bottom/shoved into the side or removed. Or they sell the Grave as is FULL and the new purchaser does not have the right to know they are paying for a Grave that here in Ireland could contain as we have proven as many as ten to fifteen burials.

He did say however that for a fee it can be renewed and another 25 years can be added but no more.  His explaination was that according to the RC church a Familiy dies out in 125 years.

At present I am involved in a situation where the RC Church sold land that contains over 30.000 infants and 27,000 Adults to a Nature Reserve without the knowledge of any living relative of all who are buried there.  On Going at present with the completion of a full survey by an Independant Company to locate all burials results report will be issued this Month August 2011.

The Cemetery is Milltown Roman Catholic Cemetery Belfast.

Erin   

Offline Erincyprus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 05 August 11 00:22 BST (UK) »
In Spain they 'bury' people in niches in a wall just like a honeycomb.   The hole is then bricked up and memorial tablets can be attached to the front.   The richer folk have rather grand mausoleums.   What happens in Cyprus?

Dave

Dave to answer you question in Cyprus where I am located the deal is you are buried within 24 hours due to the extreme heat.  You pay to borrow a Coffin that fits you to take you on the back of a pickup truck from the Morgue to the cemetery where a plot is dug about three feet.  You are then removed from the coffin and placed in the Grave and covered over in a heaped fashion.

A Holy Man of your Denomination most times will be present to see you safely on your way.  Done Dusted and the Grave is yours in perpituity.

No Hype No massive costs and all done with the greatest respect for the Deceased and Family.

There is No Cremation in Cyprus it is against the Teaching of the Greek Orthodox Church.

Erin

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 05 August 11 11:15 BST (UK) »
Sounds very straightforward and sensible to me rather than all the fuss, bother and expense in UK.   If I had a 'family home' in UK I think I would opt to be buried in a cardboard box in the garden.   There would then be minimal expense and would be in perpetuity or at least as long as the kids kept the house.

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline Erincyprus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 05 August 11 18:01 BST (UK) »
Dave I agree and now you can I hear be buried in Bio-degradable Coffins and that is the way furure burials in the UK are gonna be.  Something to be said for Burials at Sea at least you have loads of space...lol

As for the Kids I am sure mine would sell the House and blow the Dosh in Ayia Napa....

Erin

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 06 August 11 08:47 BST (UK) »
There are still the complicated legal and financial aspects of burial in a formal cemetery the Cypriot scheme as you described sounds great.   Shows my age but I remember Paphos as a remote fishing village and never heard of Ayia Napa!   A day out was having lunch and a few beers on the front at Limassol.

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline Erincyprus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 06 August 11 14:20 BST (UK) »
You are so right Dave I remember Ayia Napa (Holy Wooded Valley) as a Wooded Valley with not a sign of a Tourist.  Just Farmers and Fishermen. When people had time for each other and the topic of their conversation wasn't "Smile and Take the Money"

Erin

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 06 August 11 20:29 BST (UK) »
Same where I am now.   First came to this small village 20+ years ago clutching a Spanish dictionary - had to know some words or starve.   Now the locals practice their English on you, but it's progress.   Could never get the hang of Greek though, only one regular verb, three voices, different alphabet etc managed to scrape 8o/o in 'O' Levels much to the the dismay of a cousin who was a classics scholar...........................
I do love the Med, Dave

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 06 August 11 20:36 BST (UK) »
As an afterthought, I never fully recoverd from my first taste of cheap white Cypriot wine, it took at least half a bottle to appreciate it; the red retsina with the kebabs or meses.   I did so love the glass carboys of red wine and brandy encased in wickerwork.   What was the name of the sweet fortified wine not quite like a sweet sherry?
From my meanderings I reckon a viable option for me, at the end of the day would be pickling, like Lord Nelson.

Dave

Offline Erincyprus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 08 August 11 01:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave Cyprus is famous for it's Zivania which is their version our Irish Poteen except where we Irish use the Skin of the Spuds the Cypriots make theirs from the skin of the Grape.  Served from the Freezer and it sure is Fire Water..lol

Most Tourists go for the White Aphrodite or Red Othello Wines and miss all the excellent wines that are available.  It's the Life that we all head off for until we are swamped by people who only wish to make as many changes as possible and then the life we all found is lost.

I have lived aside Fishermen for many years and who could not give a toss about anything only their Family and their Catch.  And that suits me just fine.

Erin