Author Topic: How can I find a lost child?  (Read 8116 times)

Offline Children

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: How can I find a lost child?
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 21 May 05 07:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen,

How have you being and how is your own genealogy going?

I have just been going over some of the information that you sent me on Robert George Hargreaves.

You mention that since Robert Hargreaves wasn't on the 1901 census he could of gone by his middle name of "George".

Well if your still interested to have a look for me,
Robert George Hargreaves was born in 1874 in Staffordshire. His parents were Thomas and Lucy (nee Evans).

We are still over the moon for all your hard work in finding out so much information for us. Thankyou once again and please take care.

Love Wendy

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 21 May 05 08:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy, have you already seen this marriage in 1926 on www.staffordshirebmd.org.uk/ ?

HARGREAVES Mary L to BUTTERS Albert
Civil Marriage  Newcastle-Under-Lyme R31/77

Could be a possibility...

"My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Paul E

« Reply #29 on: Saturday 21 May 05 09:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy

1901 has a George Hargreaves b1873 in Milton, Staffordshire, living as a boarder in Wolstanton, Staffs (4 Sandford St) with the following household:

George Peake, 57, Head, Ill for 4 years, Staffs Chesterton
Hannah Peake, 56, Daur, Dressmaker (home account,at home), Staffs Chesterton
Agnes Peake, 24, Daur, Staffs Chesterton
Levi J Peake, 17, Son, Pattern Maker, Staffs Chesterton

George is working as a coalminer (face hewer), shown as single.

Is this any good?

cheers

Paul

Paul E

« Reply #30 on: Saturday 21 May 05 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy

There is a second candidate...

George Hargreaves, b1875, Hanley Staffs, living as a border with a Dean family in Hanley, and working as a coalminer.

Nothing precise for 1874 for a George showing.

cheers

Paul

Offline Children

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 21 May 05 16:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen,

Thanks for the information on "Mary Louisa Hargreaves" who married "Albert Butters" in 1926.
She is Robert George and Sarah Louisa Hargreaves daughter.
I found her 2 days ago.

Hello Paul,

Thankyou for looking up theses George Hargreaves for me, I appreciate greatly both yours and Helen's hard work in finding all this information for me. You two are really fantastic. Hugs to both of you. 

The first GEORGE HARGREAVES you found for me couldn't be the one since he was mark down as being single, but the other George Hargreaves sounds a bit promising, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

By the way, would you know how I could get in touch with someone to do with the Cemetery at Newcastle Under Lyme in "Lyme Wood Grove"?
I am trying to find out if ROBERT GEORGE and LILY HARGREAVES(his daughter) are buried there.

Anyway thanks again, please take care.

Love Wendy

Offline helxx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 21 May 05 17:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy,

It's nice to hear back from you.

I'm afraid I can't take the credit for finding a possible marriage for Mary, it was Tati!  (Well Done Tati)

I did come across the George's that Paul has found.  I agree that the second one could be possible.  I noticed that on earlier census' with his parents, his place of birth is Stafford, so I'm not sure.  I'll have another look at it again later when I have more time (I'm in the middle of cooking tea!)

I also found his parents in 1871 to see where they were living to give an idea more of where exactly Robert was born but now I can't remember where tey were!  Again I'll have a look later.

Re finding out about Mary 2 days ago, do you mean you got her birth certificate?  Have you got Lily's as well?

As for finding out where Robert and Lily are buried.  I'd contact Newcastle County Council to see if they hold burial records.  Cheadle are great, whom I deal with a lot and they give you info such as, date of death, address at death, occupation, age and also who else is in the plot, which is great, especially when it's a grave with no headstone which most of mine seem to be!! Cheadle Council even meet me at the cemetery to show me where each grave I am searching for is!!

As for my tree, it's going fab thanks.  I started last year, the main reaon being my father didn't know ANY of his grandparents names!!!  Hence he does now!  I have about 1000 names in my tree (which includes my hubby's as well)

I'll be in touch if I find anything interesting later,

Keep in touch
Helen x

Offline helxx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 21 May 05 19:02 BST (UK) »
YES YES YES YES!!!!

I've found him!

Firstly, I looked at the two George Hargreaves closer and realised both are single.  I then began to doubt either was yours. 

I then looked for his parents again in 1871 and 1881 and they are living at Castle Church, Stafford both times.  Therefore implying Robert was most likely born in Stafford.

I then decided to forget about my idea of Robert using his middle name but felt like giving up when nothing came up, even using soundex.

However, I then decided to search for just Robert, born around 1874, in Stafford, Staffs, with no surname and county specified.....

BINGO!!!

He's with his sister Florence who is married to William Cuthbert and also his brother Spencer!!!  The Cuthberts have 4 servants!!  Oh by the way, they're in Warwickshire.

Robert is a Mining Prospector? (employer)
Spencer is a Gentleman Farmer? (employer)
William Cuthbert is a Stocks and Shares broker (employer)

I'm really pleased I found him!  ;D

Best Regards
Helen x

Offline helxx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 21 May 05 19:18 BST (UK) »
Forgot to say, he's been transcribed as 'Hargraves'

Also, just noticed he's down as single,  ??? this has to be an error, maybe he forgot he was married!!! - or his sister did!

Let me know what you think.

Helen x

Offline Children

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 22 May 05 08:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen,

It was great to hear from you again.
It sounds like your family tree is fitting together wonderfully and is going extremely well. Keep up the good work.

I am truly grateful for all your hard effort and for the time in researching this HARGREAVES family for me, I just wish I had some of your intelligence on how to reseach for answers myself, unlike you, you seem to have the knack for it. 

I just thought you might like to know Helen that I live in Launceston Tasmania with my husband David. Our two children have both flown the coop, so if there is anything I could do for you in genealogy please sing out.

Do you know how I could get in contacting with the Newcastle county council to see if they hold burial records? 
Cheadle council also sounds like a great idea, but once again I am in the same boat. Do you know if they have an email address which I could write to? If you don't, don't worry.

When I mentioned about finding Mary Louisa and Lily Hargreaves birth, I should of said that I just found their birth year, sorry.

I also want to say to Tati, thankyou for finding the marriage on Mary Louisa Hargreaves to Albert Butters for me, it was really kind of you to do that, so a very big thankyou to you too.  :-*

Helen, you also said that you found Robert George Hargreaves parents in 1871 to see where they were living, if it is OK. I would love to have that bit of information.

The information that you sent me on the whereabouts of where ROBERT HARGREAVES was fantastic, thankyou. I didn't know that he was a Mining Prospector? employer.
On the birth certificate of his son "Charles Edward", it said that he was a Builders Time Keeper and on Charles's wedding certificate he was down as Brewery Labourer. I guess that he had a few different occupations.

I really do not know what I would I done without Helen, you have a big heart and you have being a wonderful help to David and myself. I will keep on looking forward to our discussions, so until the next saga of this adventure, take care.

Love Wendy :)

P.S Thankyou Again