Author Topic: Beaton family  (Read 47982 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Beaton family
« Reply #144 on: Thursday 14 September 17 01:13 BST (UK) »
Shonnag,

I posted a query on the Forces board regarding Alexander Montgomery (potential father of Janet/Jessie) & have had 2 very exciting replies...

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=778877.msg6329042

If we could find a marriage for him &/or a birth for Janet that would either confirm or eliminate Alexander.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Uist1911

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Friday 15 September 17 23:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie
Thank you

That's a lot of information on the Macpherson's and Mackay's

That is exciting information on Alexander Montgomery I thought he may have been in the Army it's just proving its the right Alexander Montgomery.It's strange the black watch being mention my adopted dad was attached to them int wh 80's ( he passed away few years ago)
Shonnag
Beaton Bethune Macleod Macmillian
Macsween Currie Macpherson Mackenzie Macintosh

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: Saturday 16 September 17 01:28 BST (UK) »
Shonnag,

Although the 'Croft' books are not 100% accurate & have flaws at times (forgivable) they are really good probably 99% when you consider the info. there.

The baptisms I found are from the Parish Records transcriptions (not the 'Croft' book) & the 'side notes' I have put in blue may not be visible on the downloaded bapt. (& not on the index)!

I'm 99% sure that the Alexander & Murdoch in the 'Army' records are correct as it's too much of a coincidence.

Whether Janet/Jessie was illegitimate is another matter but regardless....why would she give her place of birth as 2 of the very places Alexander was posted to as it's not just something anyone could make up.

The 'Croft' book has her father as Angus (I pointed that out earlier) but that info. was written more than a century after those events & as Angus MacPherson was the father of Archibald & a good bit older than her (J), it may have been an error.....well obviously  :D

The baptismal records where the added notes are to be found would be info. from Jessie/Janet herself i.e. the 'Army' Alexander would be a good candidate & whether or not she was born abroad, how did she know where he'd been stationed?

The theory works with all the info. so far....

Her father named as Alexander & his father named as Murdoch on the baptism transcriptions of her children with Angus MacPherson (I haven't seen any originals), her places of birth on census' (where Alexander was posted), father named as Alexander on her marriage.
Alexander died in 1855, son Murdoch was the informant, all children to the marriage with Flora recorded although no mention of a previous wife nor of Jessie/Janet.

Is it a coincidence that the dates/ages of the children from that union do not overlap with the circa dates for Jessie/Janet's birth?

From what we have with age on marriage/census'/death she would have been born 1821 - 1826 (when Alexander was in the Army in both places she gives as her PoB)

The children named on Alexander's death with ages/birth yrs begin 1830!

I have no idea when Alexander signed up or when he was discharged but the dates are 1817-1828....1st child born to that marriage 1830 i.e. was he married to Jessie/Janet's mother or a home-coming fling  :-\

We just can't put a nail on it....you need to get your DNA done & hope some descendants have done the same  :D

It's been an interesting one for sure  ;D

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Uist1911

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Saturday 16 September 17 09:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie

Thank you

I was looking in to doing a Dna test as maybe that way I would find information on Jessie M and Could possibly find some information Jonn Beaton/Bethune and Catherine Macleod.

I found a Alexander Montgomery last night with a son Murdoch but wasn't sure I had the right one as Janet / Jessie was not mentioned in the tree will go back and check that one for the marriage.

Shonnag

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: Saturday 16 September 17 09:36 BST (UK) »

We just can't put a nail on it....you need to get your DNA done & hope some descendants have done the same  :D

I'm looking for a thumbs-up symbol. :)

Please don't be despondent when you're related to half of Prince Edward Island and other parts of Canada and it seems too confusing!  You never know what might pop-up.

On a couple of DNA segments I'm getting many Canadian matches whose ancestors emigrated prior to the 1841 census and they don't know where their Scottish ancestors emigrated from.  Matching on the same segment are people with more recent Scottish connections from Invernesshire or Nairnshire (so they left later so are on the census, or never left). 

Considerable numbers left the area as things became more and more difficult for crofters.

Offline Uist1911

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: Saturday 16 September 17 11:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie
I have found one Marriage for
Alexander Mintgomery
In Portree
Alexander Montgomery
Spouse's Name   Catharine Mcinnes
Event Date   08 Oct 1816
Event Place   Portree,Inverness,Scotland

Shonnag

Offline Uist1911

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: Saturday 16 September 17 11:49 BST (UK) »
   Hi Hurworth

I have Maclellans further back that emigrated to Prince Edward Island Canada.

So far they are the only family I have  found that did emigrate.

Shonnag

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: Saturday 16 September 17 12:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Shonnag,

I did see that marriage to Catharine MacInnes & forgot about it in my eagerness to find out about Alexander  ???

It is a coincidence with the forename as Janet's mother was a Catherine & if her mother died young it's quite possible Jessie may have been brought up by someone else i.e. with a different surname not knowing her mother's maiden name?

It does look perfect for the date but where & when did she die, it would be interesting to know?

I didn't find a marriage for Alexander & Flora.

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: Saturday 16 September 17 13:34 BST (UK) »
Suspense was too much so I downloaded the baptism for Archibald MacPherson  ;D

Annie